The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to lose weight and get healthier

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Hi folks,

So this information is not really a secret. And for those that are physically healthy probably know all this info. But I am posting this to help others who are without the understanding. And I am not an expert. I am just a guy who turned his health around. I was always a big guy growing up. As an adult my weight climbed and I hovered around the 300 lb mark for years. One day, I bought a scale and when I stepped on it I saw 385 lbs. I was shocked. Well, just like the Fastlane, learning requires doing research, taking action, having a plan, a "why", and knowing it is a process and sticking with it. In a year I lost 115 lbs. But, I had gained about 40 back the next year (depression, losing focus, etc), and now have lost 20 of that using the same skills and know-how I learned before. I am still not at my goal weight but I am not in a hurry. So, I will post guidelines to shorten this process for you. But first I need to address a mindset.

Realize that who you are as person is not defined by your weight or physical body. No matter what you think or feel, or what others think and feel, you are still an amazing person with great qualities. You see, when you were born into this world, you came into it perfectly fine. You were worthy, and you were precious. A baby does not think they are stupid or worthless. A baby expects to receive; receive love, attention, etc. Over time, we are taught/conditioned that our worth is based on performance. So, we end up seeking external things to be liked. Or, we try to seek approval (or avoid disapproval) from everyone in order to be liked/loved, to avoid conflict, and have a smooth problem-free life. One big fear is a fear of abandonment. This is a child belief. As a baby, you were dependent on caregivers. If your mom did not come when you cried or people left the room the belief was that you were abandoned. So, anytime you feel that others abandoned you because of YOU, this is an egocentric child belief. My point of all this is that your worth is inherent. You are good, worthy, strong, lovable, courageous, etc, without having to earn it. There are no prerequisites. None of this is based on performance. You cannot make a judgement on your life based on a feeling or thought you are having because feelings and thoughts are transient. If I think my life sucks right now, an hour later I can think/feel different. So, the key is not thinking or feeling, but knowing. Knowing your worth and inherent qualities. And this does not require the approval of others.

The reason I have to write all this is because people mix weight loss with worth. Sure, people that look better seem to be liked more. But they are not liked for who they are. Only what others see on the outside. If you think you need to lose weight to be liked then you are just seeking approval. And what if that person doesn't like your body anymore? What does that do to you if it is all about others? Approach health and weight loss for much bigger reasons. Do it for yourself. Think long term. Think of all the benefits you can derive from being healthier. The "looking good" part is just a nice side benefit.

Now, onto the tips.

1. First thing you need to know is your BMR (basal metabolic rate). This is the amount of energy your body burns just maintaining itself. Weight loss is a balance of energy. It is calories in versus calories out. You burn more than you take in, the weight comes off.

2. Once you know your BMR, you need to eat slightly less. Something like 100-200 less calories a day. And you need to be consistent. Weight loss is small changes done over a period of time. There are no shortcuts.

3. Get a digital food scale (extremely important). And be honest and accurate with yourself about how much you eat.

4. Find a calorie tracking app or website (there are free ones, I personally use MyFitnessPal)

5. Add in some physical activity. Although, just eating below your BMR will make the pounds come off. Activity speeds things up a little bit though. But weight lifting and cardio help you in other ways. Think of weight lifting as a way to provide better structure and sculpting to your body. It strengthens bones, tendons and ligaments, and builds muscle. Cardio helps strengthen your heart muscle, your lungs, and improves circulatory system. I lost a bunch of weight just doing home workouts. There are tons of free ones on youtube. But you can also buy these 30 or 90 day home workout programs. Or, just hit the gym if you'd like.

5. You do not need to punish yourself by quitting foods you love. It is all calories in vs calories out. As long as you stay under your BMR, you lose weight. However, you should limit the portions. You will need to make some dietary adjustments. At first, you won't know the best foods, or have good staples. You will have to learn through trial and error and replace foods for others. This is probably the step that has a learning curve. But you will be making adjustments and slowly you have it all figured out. As time goes on you develop a good diet that is balanced.

6. See health as a lifestyle, not some temporary thing. These are habits you will learn and hold for life. Occasionally you will tweak it to fit your needs/goals.

7. Get a weight scale to track your progress. This will help you know if you need to make adjustments. And remember, adjustments can just be small adjustments (but with big results). Never do anything drastic and cut down your calories 500 or more.

8. If you want to gain weight, most of all of this applies except you eat higher than your BMR.

9. Majority of supplements are garbage and do nothing. I only really buy protein powder. I also take fish oil, and sometimes things like maca, moringa, or a green blend with probiotics.

10. Good luck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I worked with a Russian engineer that was ex military during the 70s and 80s and the only supplement they made him take wasn’t drinking 8-10 raw eggs twice per day. He followed that same principle throughout the years but when he thankfully moved to America he said I made it taste better by blending them with a banana or watermelon . Just one banana offsets 8 eggs texture when blended. That had worked for me too, straight biotin and protein no fillers no chemicals, nothing else. That man is 60+ years old and still runs marathons and power lifts... crazy

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I worked with a Russian engineer that was ex military during the 70s and 80s and the only supplement they made him take wasn’t drinking 8-10 raw eggs twice per day. He followed that same principle throughout the years but when he thankfully moved to America he said I made it taste better by blending them with a banana or watermelon . Just one banana offsets 8 eggs texture when blended. That had worked for me too, straight biotin and protein no fillers no chemicals, nothing else. That man is 60+ years old and still runs marathons and power lifts... crazy
Exactly. If you have a balanced and diverse diet you get all your needs that way. Some supplements help. But a lot of the time you are throwing your money away. A lot of the supplements are derived from whole foods. Why not just eat those foods in natural form? Not knocking the supplement industry because there are some good things but some do nothing or you may, in fact, be already getting everything you need through diet. And therefore, are wasting your money.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
That's an amazing accomplishment @NewManRising. I'd like to add some tips for anyone struggling with weight loss:

1. Sleep 6-9hrs a night

I might get a lot of heat for this but sleep is vital to having good body composition (more muscle mass, less body fat) and is a cornerstone for your health. It has been proven that the less you sleep, the more calories you consume to make up for this lost in energy, and you're more likely to crave sugary/unhealthy foods. Also if you're trying to lose weight (i.e. cutting) the more sleep you get the more muscle you retain and less body fat. I can't list anything off the top of my head but its pretty significant. The number depends on the individual.

2. Synchronize your circadian rhythm

Basically, as a human being for thousands of years you rise and fall with the sun. Wake around 1-2 hours of sunrise, and go to bed so you can get your 6-9 hrs of sleep to wake up at the same time. Try to wake up at the same time every day and eat breakfast within 1-2 hours of waking. Add in some gentle exercise and you won't need coffee (I still drink it though :p)

3. Eat 3-4 meals a day, seperated by 3-5 hours. Maybe 3 meals and 1 snack

4. Eat whole foods

Eat whole foods, eat protein every meal (satiation, muscle retention), eat vegetables and fruit. The simple stuff works.. don't make it too complicated. Think animal meats, eggs, potatoes, vegetables, fruits.

5. Hit the weights and add gentle movement (NEAT)

Try to exercise every day. I lift weights every other day, and sometimes play basketball in between. Add gentle movement throughout the day. What you do 23 hours outside the gym is more important than what you do the 1hr in the gym. Make sure to get up, walk around, go for walks, stretch. IF you have an active job thats a plus.

If you guys liked this I can post some more tips :innocent: :halo:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nacholibre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Nov 1, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) has worked wonders for me. I did it a long time ago when I was still in good shape lol. Basically you would step on a treadmill, set a jog speed that you are comfortable with, set a sprint speed, and then you fire off short 20-30 seconds bursts of heavy sprinting. Then go back to jog speed for a minute, than sprint again. Repeat for total of around 15-20 minutes max.

The plan that I'm doing right now is a 3-day split that looks like this:

Monday Chest+Triceps
Tuesday HIIT
Wednesday Legs + Shoulders
Thursday HIIT
Friday Back+Biceps

Good luck guys!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders