The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] ChickenHawk's Self-Published Fiction EBooks

pisco

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 26, 2012
Vienna
How do you find your buyers? What do you think helped you to address such a large audience?

I appreciate your answer!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Every once in a while, when I see @ChickenHawk's name pop up here on the forum, I just take a millisecond to think "damn... she is awesome." Then I go about the rest of my day. She is a hell of an example of what tenacity plus intelligence gets you.

Carry on. And to all of you aspiring authors following in her footsteps... write faster.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 9, 2014
NJ
Hi @ChickenHawk ! I decided to pick up my writing after reading your posts. I scrapped the 7000 words I had already written and started a fresh story. I am curious... How do you format your text for Kindle? Do you use double spacing? Single spacing with a double space between paragraphs or just use an indent? I have read mixed reviews on this. I started writing yesterday and I am 4400 words "deep" so far. Anyway, thanks for all of the inspiration, again :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Do some google searches... there's a lot of info and resources out there on formatting for Kindle and you will find the answer even before CH has to respond. Write faster, and good luck on your work!

Kate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 9, 2014
NJ
Thanks @Vigilante ! I did run some Google searches and found a lot of conflicting information, but in the end I think I am just going to do what I want to do within normal parameters!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi @ChickenHawk ! I decided to pick up my writing after reading your posts. I scrapped the 7000 words I had already written and started a fresh story. I am curious... How do you format your text for Kindle? Do you use double spacing? Single spacing with a double space between paragraphs or just use an indent? I have read mixed reviews on this. I started writing yesterday and I am 4400 words "deep" so far. Anyway, thanks for all of the inspiration, again :)

Here is Amazon's simplified formatting guide.

Amazon Kindle Formatting

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
I've been away from the forum for a little while now and WHOA! @ChickenHawk , I'm so happy about your success!

:tiphat:

Your efforts have been inspiring from the get-go. This is only the beginning for you!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
@ chicken hawk?
Do you edit yourself or hire someone to edit, because I have 2000 poems to edit or more. I don't know If I should just go ahead and do it myself or hire someone. My novel of course I know needs an editor.

Kate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 9, 2014
NJ
@SinisterLex Thank you! I looked on KDP ( I do have a short info book published on there) and I found some guide but not the one you posted- which was a huge help!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
How do you find your buyers? What do you think helped you to address such a large audience?
Hmmm...I wish I knew! As I mentioned previously, I didn't do any marketing or promotional activity. I didn't expect to gain a lot of readers right away, so my primary focus was on crafting an entertaining story. Honestly, the success of this caught me a bit by surprise, but happily so. :)

How do you format your text for Kindle? Do you use double spacing? Single spacing with a double space between paragraphs or just use an indent?
I know this varies a lot, but my goal was to make it look as close as possible to the printed books released by traditional publishers. If you look at traditionally published books, they look much different than blog posts, for example. This led me to use these specs:
Font: Times New Roman
Size: 11 Point
Line Spacing: 1.2 lines.
Indents: Yes
Double Spaces Between Paragraphs: No

Happily, I haven't received any formatting complaints, so this seems a good fit. Hope this helps!

Do you edit yourself or hire someone to edit, because I have 2000 poems to edit or more. I don't know If I should just go ahead and do it myself or hire someone. My novel of course I know needs an editor.
A friend who's a fellow writer gave it a good read, but I wouldn't call it an edit -- mostly because I wasn't asking or expecting that. So basically, my books are self-edited. I'll probably have to reconsider this in the future, because over time, I've caught some truly embarrassing mistakes.

Every once in a while, when I see @ChickenHawk's name pop up here on the forum, I just take a millisecond to think "damn... she is awesome." Then I go about the rest of my day. She is a hell of an example of what tenacity plus intelligence gets you.
I've been away from the forum for a little while now and WHOA! @ChickenHawk , I'm so happy about your success!
Thanks so much, @Vigilante and @McNandez! You have no idea how much encouragement like this means to me! It's made a huge difference, especially in those times when I was questioning my sanity. :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Do you edit yourself or hire someone to edit, because I have 2000 poems to edit or more.
Sorry if this sounds pedantic, but can anyone actually edit poetry? Or did you mean proofread? It seems to me that if you allowed someone to suggest changes to poetry, it would no longer reflect the artist's vision.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I know what you mean. lol Yes, that is what I mean. Other authors I know do use an editor. I just didn't see the point. If they're changing the meaning. I do probably just need a proof reader. Thanks!

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I loaded my book to Kindle and Create Space. I ended up with 42,000 words. I am waiting for help to format my cover for Create Space. On Kindle Direct, it says that it is in the Review process. I don't know what happens now. I assume after the review Kindle/Amazon will let me know how to do the free promotion etc. I'm glad I took a little extra time. I probably did go through the book 3 times on the re-write. I found a few glaring errors and many minor. I had some disjointed scenes and a few unfinished thoughts. I was able, I think, to find all those and expand where necessary. I do have some basic marketing in place. So, now...I guess I wait. I hope I make more than $12...I've put in quite a lot of hours and it would be great if it paid off...we'll see.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I know what you mean. lol Yes, that is what I mean. Other authors I know do use an editor. I just didn't see the point. If they're changing the meaning. I do probably just need a proof reader. Thanks!
Mattie, if it is any consolation.... I have a friend who is an editor and she did edit my book. I'm glad I had her do it because I have forgotten some grammar rules. I made the same mistake, like on dialog, 100 times. It took...FOREVER to fix all the little mistakes. After I did that, then I went back through and did some re-writing. I then found some errors my friend didn't catch. I also found several areas where I forgot to finish a thought or a scene and it was confusing. I did all this after not looking at my manuscript for about 4 weeks. COSenior had suggested I do this from the beginning but I was afraid. I'm glad I had my friend do this first one but I think I can do it myself in the future. In the future I will do my initial edit myself and then have some friends read it. I am glad I had the first one edited professionally though, that really helped me for future writing.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I assume after the review Kindle/Amazon will let me know how to do the free promotion etc. I'm glad I took a little extra time.
If you join KDP Select (basically clicking a button during your Amazon kindle publishing process), making your book free for up to five days is super-easy, just the click of a few buttons. However, by joining KDP select, you also give Amazon exclusivity on your book for 90 days, meaning you can't sell on Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Smashwords, etc. Another way to offer your book for free (meaning permafree) is to make it free other places, and try to get Amazon to price-match you.

However, I'm not sure I'd recommend the free route unless you have other books published. Ideally, a free promo gets a reader hooked on your writing style, and has them searching for your other books. If you have no other books, you may be giving your book away for nothing. Plus, free isn't what it used to be. Authors lately are reporting disappointing results, meaning that they don't get a lot of sales after the fact. Aaaaaand, if you make your book free, you'll almost certainly get one-star reviews by people who are reading outside their genre, or who simply gett a kick out of slamming books that they didn't actually pay for.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Aaaaaand, if you make your book free, you'll almost certainly get one-star reviews by people who are reading outside their genre, or who simply gett a kick out of slamming books that they didn't actually pay for.

I didn't understand what you meant the first time you wrote about this, but saw it with my own eyes last night. A book was listed for free and people had posted blatantly hateful comments on it with 1 star reviews. Some of the reviews seemed like they even went out of their way to make a long drawn out post for believability. Having already read the book I know they were full of shit, so I couldn't help but wonder wtf is wrong with some people.

Slower than sidewalk if you ask me.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I have a friend who is an editor and she did edit my book
For the record, I highly recommend using a professional editor if you can...just not on poetry, which is what my comment referred to. The rules are entirely different, and unless you're writing in a specific poetic style or meter, editing can only apply grammar to a medium that has no use for it. Glad the tip to let your book rest for a while before you try to self-edit worked for you. Again for the record, I'd recommend something less than a whole month. You must have the patience of Job!

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
If you join KDP Select (basically clicking a button during your Amazon kindle publishing process), making your book free for up to five days is super-easy, just the click of a few buttons. However, by joining KDP select, you also give Amazon exclusivity on your book for 90 days, meaning you can't sell on Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Smashwords, etc. Another way to offer your book for free (meaning permafree) is to make it free other places, and try to get Amazon to price-match you.

However, I'm not sure I'd recommend the free route unless you have other books published. Ideally, a free promo gets a reader hooked on your writing style, and has them searching for your other books. If you have no other books, you may be giving your book away for nothing. Plus, free isn't what it used to be. Authors lately are reporting disappointing results, meaning that they don't get a lot of sales after the fact. Aaaaaand, if you make your book free, you'll almost certainly get one-star reviews by people who are reading outside their genre, or who simply gett a kick out of slamming books that they didn't actually pay for.

When you are talking about the issues with offering the book for free, are you referring to perma free or the 5 day free promo. I was only going to do the 5 day free promo. Would you still recommend that or no?

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Glad the tip to let your book rest for a while before you try to self-edit worked for you. Again for the record, I'd recommend something less than a whole month. You must have the patience of Job!

Hahahahahaha...I have no patience. My friend had it for almost 3 weeks editing it. When I got it back it took me a week to make the corrections. I can see some things I need to do differently next book. Also, there was a couple weeks I had a bunch of stuff going on. THEN I panicked a little and I think I started dragging a$$ because I was/am scared. That's when I went in an listed my goals with timelines. That really helped me a lot. There is no getting around it, I am a deadline girl. Giving myself deadlines helped me refocus and get over myself. So...patience, no....stone cold fear, maybe...

Giving it a rest though and going back through it was...amazing. I even laughed about it a couple of times because I really didn't see how that was going to make much difference in what I noticed. YOU WERE SO RIGHT...it made a huge difference! I had even forgotten some things I had written. It has all been a little comical at times. Thank you for your input, I am listening. :)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
When you are talking about the issues with offering the book for free, are you referring to perma free or the 5 day free promo. I was only going to do the 5 day free promo. Would you still recommend that or no?
Personally, I'm not a fan of free. I think the issues are pretty similar whether the book is free forever or free for just a few days. While it's free, you'll get more visibility, but it might not be the kind you want.

I should add, though, that I'm sure you'll find plenty of other authors, including some big names, who disagree entirely. Who knows...maybe when I have a few more books out, I'll reconsider and offer something for free myself. But right now, I personally think that the downsides aren't worth it. And in your case, when you'll only have one book out (yet), I fear it would be a bad decision, because you can't refer your readers to any other books. As a result, much of that visibility is for nothing, unless you get lots of good reviews and/or signups for your mailing list. But even that can be a longshot.

Of course, I might be biased. For my first pen name, I did free promos, and still didn't get the kind of success I wanted. For my second pen name, I've never run a free promo, and have no immediate plans to do so. I'd love to hear from other forum members though. Their thoughts might be entirely different.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Can you update on how your books are doing?
This month, so far so good! Both are still in the top 1,000 (just barely), and sales are drifting lower each day. So far this month, I've sold about 3,000 books. This is significantly lower than last month, but I'm still beyond thankful for each and every sale.

Mostly though, I'm working like crazy on the next book. Must write faster!

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
For my first pen name, I did free promos, and still didn't get the kind of success I wanted. For my second pen name, I've never run a free promo, and have no immediate plans to do so.
That's really interesting, considering how the pen names did relative to each other. Does it just mean that free isn't an effective marketing ploy, as you suggest, or does it mean something more...that the author valuing a book too much to make it free has the effect of making the readers feel the same way? Is 'you get what you pay for' working here?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Does it just mean that free isn't an effective marketing ploy, as you suggest, or does it mean something more...that the author valuing a book too much to make it free has the effect of making the readers feel the same way? Is 'you get what you pay for' working here?
I think it's a little of both. From what I understand, free used to be a lot more effective a couple years ago, but as Amazon changed their algos, and readers became jaded, it became less and less effective.

Phase 1: Free books are ranked on the same Amazon charts as paid books. Plus, readers are grateful. This means that a free book "selling" 100 copies a day will outrank a paid book selling 99 copies a day. As a result, free books get a ton of visibility. Readers are thrilled. "Oh boy, a free book! How nice. Whoohoooo!!!" If the quality is decent, the author gets lots of nice reviews, and then, thanks to Amazon's algos, sees their book sell a crapload of copies after the free run is over.

Phase 2: Amazon separates the best-seller lists into two categories, paid and free. Plus, readers are getting more jaded. Free books are no longer ranked alongside the hottest books by big authors. Just as well. Readers are getting more jaded and impatient with books that have disappointed them. Their kindles are already packed with free books anyway, and they might not even read that book they just downloaded. Still, if the book "sells" enough free copies, it will have a decent boost in sales when the free run is over.

Phase 3: Amazon changes the algos. Readers are cranky and contemptuous of free books. Amazon changes their algos so a free run doesn't do a lot to boost the rankings after the free run is over. Readers have lost any gratitude whatsoever for books that are free. Instead, they're contemptuous and pissed off that an author "wasted their time" by tempting them to read something they wouldn't have been willing to pay for. After a free run is over, the book sinks back into oblivion. Except now it has a bunch of one-star reviews.

Of course, I'm probably putting the worst possible slant on it. If the book is really, really good, the reviews might be more favorable. But if that's the case, why offer it for free anyway? The obvious exception, I think, is if you write a series. Lots of serial writers have had luck making the first book in the series permafree. The idea is that if they hook the reader on the storyline, they'll pay to continue.

But overall, the consensus I hear over and over again is that "free isn't what it used to be."

Last edited:

TheChosenOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 13, 2014
This month, so far so good! Both are still in the top 1,000 (just barely), and sales are drifting lower each day. So far this month, I've sold about 3,000 books. This is significantly lower than last month, but I'm still beyond thankful for each and every sale.

Mostly though, I'm working like crazy on the next book. Must write faster!

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the constant motivation you radiate on this forum.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I think it's a little of both. From what I understand, free used to be a lot more effective a couple years ago, but as Amazon changed their algos, and readers became jaded, it became less and less effective.

Phase 1: Free books are ranked on the same Amazon charts as paid books. Plus, readers are grateful. This means that a free book "selling" 100 copies a day will outrank a paid book selling 99 copies a day. As a result, free books get a ton of visibility. Readers are thrilled. "Oh boy, a free book! How nice. Whoohoooo!!!" If the quality is decent, the author gets lots of nice reviews, and then, thanks to Amazon's algos, sees their book sell a crapload of copies after the free run is over.

Phase 2: Amazon separates the best-seller lists into two categories, paid and free. Plus, readers are getting more jaded. Free books are no longer ranked alongside the hottest books by big authors. Just as well. Readers are getting more jaded and impatient with books that have disappointed them. Their kindles are already packed with free books anyway, and they might not even read that book they just downloaded. Still, if the book "sells" enough free copies, it will have a decent boost in sales when the free run is over.

Phase 3: Amazon changes the algos. Readers are cranky and contemptuous of free books. Amazon changes their algos so a free run doesn't do a lot to boost the rankings after the free run is over. Readers have lost any gratitude whatsoever for books that are free. Instead, they're contemptuous and pissed off that an author "wasted their time" by tempting them to read something they wouldn't have been willing to pay for. After a free run is over, the book sinks back into oblivion. Except now it has a bunch of one-star reviews.

Of course, I'm probably putting the worst possible slant on it. If the book is really, really good, the reviews might be more favorable. But if that's the case, why offer it for free anyway? The obvious exception, I think, is if you write a series. Lots of serial writers have had luck making the first book in the series permafree. The idea is that if they hook the reader on the storyline, they'll pay to continue.

But overall, the consensus I hear over and over again is that "free isn't what it used to be."

Hmmmm. So I did some research on the Free vs Countdown and it seemed the Free was still gleaning the author who did the research over a year better sales. I'm not sure what to do....How did you promote? Did you just load your book and viola...readers? I mean when you changed Pen names and your first book came out (and I know it has been hot) did you do any promotion? If it's a secret I understand. I'm not sure what to do here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.