The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress + Steps to Success

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
I checked out your website and I have a bit of feedback for you that piggybacks on some of the other concerns listed here.

One thing I am curious about is who is your audience/target market? I know you say its small businesses/startups, but the language and layout of the website is very much corporate leaning. Its dense language and concepts that would appeal to someone at a much larger company. I would suggest breaking it down into smaller, more bite-sized chunks and, as we used to say at my last corp strategy job "Fischer-Price it" - e.g. dumb it down. I would have broken down the entire Market Research Process post into a post for each step, with links to the tools they could use (affiliate income maybe?), made it more fun, more visual, less dense. Make it a journey for the reader.

Also, I used to do a lot of work helping small businesses launch or improve in a local/regional market and very rarely did we ever have to go down the market research path with them, or if we did it was a really miniscule project. Honestly, a lot of folks at that level don't see the need, so you may want to point that out in a highlighted post about WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT over just assuming your friends/family/current customers are telling you what they want/need/would like (and how that differs from actually willing to part with money).

Have you utilized your own information to test this product with small companies? This strikes me as something more interesting for larger firms who need market research for product development, or customer needs analysis, or customer experience research but just don't have the budget for a big firm to come in, or they need quick, actionable feedback and not a 4 month project with multiple check-ins and ppt decks. Perhaps consider targeting/angling the design towards that market.

Will look forward to the updates!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
@Jam Wheel apologies for the delay in coming back to you and thanks for the awesome feedback.

One thing I am curious about is who is your audience/target market? I know you say its small businesses/startups, but the language and layout of the website is very much corporate leaning.

You are totally right, I guess this is just the natural style I am accustomed to writing in from my day job... I think you are right that dumbing down will help and I could work on my SEO as I go through previous posts and fix this.

That being said, part of the message i'm trying to convey is "these are techniques that big companies use... but you can use them too".

so you may want to point that out in a highlighted post about WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT

I have a section on this in the guide, but i don't think it's on the site yet. However, i've literally just added a post that addresses this:

http://startupmarketresearch.com/use-market-research-to-ensure-constant-business-growth/

@tafy I know this title is not ideal, and i've not updated the previous ones yet... my to-do list on this site is piling up!! I could do with a couple of days to work through all this feedback.

Have you utilized your own information to test this product with small companies?

I have not does this yet, but it's an excellent point and I recognize that I should. Even if i can get some small companies to read the guide and say whether it was useful or not would be a big help! I'm going for the lean start up approach of getting up for sale asap and then building on the feedback, but i'm not doing enough to reach my target audience at the moment.

It's been suggested that I should put all the web content and the PPT guide into an ebook and get it on Amazon, so this is something i'm considering at the moment. This will also hopefully help to drive some traffic to the site, and I can then start to think about a premium version with examples, video etc. available on the site.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
It's been a long time since i've posted on here, so probably about time for an update... things are looking really good with the site:

http://startupmarketresearch.com/

I've made lots of progress, paying for a theme definitely helps but it still takes a while to get to to how you want.

Dollarphotoclub is very useful if you're looking for cheap pics.

I'm currently building out a network of professional market researcher who will be advertising their skills though the site as an additional revenue stream for me.

As always, I would value your feedback, and do give me a shout if there's any market research that I can help you out with!

I owe you guys for getting me this far and for giving me the motivation to keep going.

I am on the threshold of unparalleled success with this, I can feel it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.