The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress + Steps to Success

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Hi guys,

I wanted to share my progress in the hope that my words will resonate with most of you, inspire some of you, and coax a few of you into helping me out!

I work in London at the moment, in B2B research, helping big companies understand how their performance compares to their peers, and identifying areas that they can improve. I'm pretty good at what I do, and I'm on a decent salary.

BUT I have zero flexibility. Last week I was about 30mins late for work because I went to breakfast with my gf. My boss asked me where i'd been, and told me to email him in the future if i'm going to be late. F**k that. If I have to work for someone else, I want to be able to roll in like Don Draper and no one ask any questions.

I've grown up talking about running my own business and I know what's possible when you break out of employment. My dad has been running his own company for as long as I can remember. He's not a millionaire, but he lives in a nice house and he works when he wants.

I put off reading books like TMF and 4HWW for a long time because I thought it sounded like BS, but once I actually read them, it was a revelation and changed the way I thought about business. Probably the most important thing i've learnt is to start small and start NOW.

Before you get excited about this being an amazing success story, it's not, but it's an honest portrayal of where I am today, where i'd like to be and the steps i'm taking to get there.

I've tried a few ideas, but haven't had any big hits yet. The important thing is that I learn each time, and I make a little more money.

• I started out with affiliate marketing, I built a site with about 5 pages and I made around $7 in a year.
  • Then I started importing jewelry, I built a half decent website (www.angel-heart.co.uk) and I made £200 before deciding that it wasn't really fast lane and it wasn't worth the effort.

Having taken some time out, I have shifted my mindset and have a new idea. I have shared some information on this already, but essentially, I am distilling my expertise in B2B research into an info product to help startups and small companies conduct awesome market research, without the need to commission a research agency.

www.StartupMarketResearch.com

I've outlined a series of steps that I need to take to make this project a success, some of which I've already implemented, some i've working on at the moment, some will come further down the line.

The thing that i've realised this time around it that you have to be patient if you want to see results. You can't really say the project has failed until you've tried all these steps, and if you haven't tried all of these steps it is only because you are LAZY.

This is how I see it, not necessarily in this order...

Buy a domain
Get a site up
write content
Get email set up
Drive traffic with Adwords
Test and iterate
Use the backlinking strategy that works
Comment on other peoples blogs (use Alltop)
Built a list of 100 people to email to promote your site
Email them
Email more people!!
implement a social media strategy (facebook, twitter etc.)
Post on forums!
Use HARO
Build an info product
give something away to collect email addresses
Install a payment mechanism
Plan a big launch
Sell your info product
Contact your mail list to see what they want
Make sure your info product is what they want
Start an affiliate scheme
Make videos, post on youtube
Use slide share
Keep doing the above...!

In terms of where I am right now. I've built the site myself with wordpress and very minor customization. I had a free Adwords voucher and i've used that to drive traffic to the site, and have iterated based on the results.

• I've had 292 unique visits, and 15 unique page views on the "buy it now" page, so an indicative CR of 5.1%.

This is clearly an exaggeration of what I can really hope to achieve when I have a real product to sell (I don't at the moment), but it confirms that the idea has legs.

• I've also had 3 sign ups, which is indicative of a 1% CR, and means I have 3 potential customers for as soon as my product is ready.

I am giving a FREE summary guide away at the moment, in order to get some sign ups and get some feedback on my writing. I have a list of about 65 topics that I am working through at the moment, that will form the basis of the book and the content marketing strategy.

I want to make my first sale by the end of Nov. (I'm planning on using eJunkie for payment)

Based on my current stats I think i'll need 100 hits to do this. To be conservative i'm aiming for 200 Non-Paid hits and I think i'll be able to get the following:

50 hits proper organic search
100 direct hits from emails
50 hits from referrals / forums / blog comments

I should be clear here as well that i'm not expecting this to make me rich overnight, i'd consider success to be making a few hundred dollars per month with minimal effort. I can then decide if I want to scale, or put that money into a new project!

I hope that the above overview will be helpful to people that are new and wanted a view of some of the steps they will need to take to start making an income online.

I'd love to get people's opinions on a few things...

• Have I missed anything, or am I right in thinking that if I keep working though the above steps and iterate and refine my product i'll be successful?
  • Any feedback on my site / concept
  • If you are interested in market research, i'd love to know what things you are struggling with so that I can include it in the guide
  • If you download the guide i'd love to get your feedback on that as well

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Additional follow up question... i've so far avoided placing any ads on the site. I'm confident that in the long term i'll make easily enough through selling the guide, but I wondered how people would feel about Adsense or affiliate ads going up for a while in the mean time?

I've been speaking to a market research agency that focuses on startups about joining their affiliate scheme, so could do that.

+ update since the previous post, 2 new signups! If you've seen the guide i'd love to get your feedback.

Cheers.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
limited progress over the past couple of weeks though i've started to see some organic traffic coming through for my primary keywords (I.e. startup market research) which is good.

I'm up to 343 unique hits.
19 unique pages views of the "Buy it Now" page = indicative CR of 5.54%

5 sign ups = indicative CR of 1.46%

I'm still working on the guide and have been posting some content on the site. I'm up to 11 posts in total.
I've just signed up to SlideShare and plan to start integrating some slides into the site as well.

Conscious of my "velocity to $1" at the moment, in that i'm yet to make any money and i'm not in a position to start selling anything. I'm thinking of slashing the price to say $12 and selling the guide as it stands at the moment. Thoughts!?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I took a look at your website and you need more pictures bigtime!

1. You email signup needs a picture of the ebook
2. Your blog posts need pics
3. Your formatting/site design could do with a slight alteration to make it more modern

Another thing would be that a lot of people could leave the site before they get to see the blog section and the articles you have, maybe you can push some links to the best articles on your front page?

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
I took a look at your website and you need more pictures bigtime!

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I totally agree.
Will look into addin some more pics to the blog posts, this is something i have been lazy about. Can anyone recommend a good source of free images?
I think i'll look on fiverr for someone to do me a pic of the ebook, the pic of the slides i've got on there at the moment isn't great.

RE the design, i'm using the free twenty thirteen theme and have made some crude customisations with the limited knowledge of PHP / HTML that I have. If i can get some money coming in I think I will look into buying a premium theme.

Question on how to make the first $$ again... should I just get a version of the book up for $5/7. or get some adsense ads up? Keen to get some money coming in asap... What do people think?

Cheers!

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Question on how to make the first $$ again... should I just get a version of the book up for $5/7. or get some adsense ads up? Keen to get some money coming in asap... What do people think?

You should be more worried about getting traffic, when you have the traffic monetizing will be much easier

I would recomend to just buy a theme from themeforest, if your website doesnt work out just use the theme for your next website. Make sure it is responsive!

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
When we meet a person, we judge whether they can be trusted.

It's the same way with websites. You need more trust signals. Until you have those, I would guess people will be reluctant to pay you money. Who you are (meaning you/ your company) isn't really clear.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Thanks guys,

Just summarizing the past couple of posts so that i'm clear on next steps:

Focus on getting traffic, monetization comes second. I'll continue to post and get backlinks
Will get a pic of the ebook done by someone on Fiverr.com
Put more pics on blog posts old and new
Update look and feel - i'm looking into ThemeForest for this (thanks for the tip!)

I totally agree with the point on trust signals, but I fear this may be easier said than done. What tangible things can I do that will help to build the trust? Do you think some of the above point will help address this, i.e. clearer, more professional look and feel?
I could maybe do a paragraph on my specific background on the About page, but i'm still in full time employment so am a bit worried about my employers finding out that i'm doing this!

Will keep you posted as I check off this list.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Guys,

I just read this thread... https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/sh...ng-for-Advice-If-You-Ain-t-Doing-Shit-With-It

I'm glad that I put this initial post on here because it gives me a to do list and it is something to be held accountable against. Massive thank you to anyone that has given feedback / suggestions so far, I value every single word of advice and am making the changes to get me where I want to be.

I started out spinning content and getting backlinks yesterday, it took forever. I'm hoping that it will be less painful as I get better at it.
I bought a gig on fiverr for an update on my logo and am looking for a good 3d ebook cover gig as well. Will probably buy tomorrow.
Have started looking into themes, I'm being super cautious with money so the $35 price tag scares me a bit (pathetic I know) but having read the slideshare link above it sounds like a professional theme is a MUST.

Keep on keeping on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mexanik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 4, 2013
Europe
My impression upon first visit to your site was: "Is he trying to sell these slides to me? He didn't spend time to make them professional, why would its contents be any better?!" You should invest in your website.

Sent from my GT-I9100

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
"Is he trying to sell these slides to me? He didn't spend time to make them professional, why would its contents be any better?!"

Haha I appreciate the brutal honesty.
I'm pretty set on this theme
Will try and get it all set up in the next few days.
Hoping to post new content tomorrow, 1200 words on "The Market Research Process".
Logo and ebook designs from Fiverr are on their way.
Continuing to post spun articles to directories, hoping to start seeing a slight up tick in organic traffic...

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
I'm well overdue an update on progress...

I've changed the theme and I hope you'll agree that it looks loads better than before. I particularly like the blog page:

http://startupmarketresearch.com/insights/

I'm not sure about the logo I had done, I uploaded it today but i've actually toyed with killing it and just having plain text header.
RE images, i'm putting images with all new posts and am gradually working my way through the older posts.
New content up as well.

Backlinking is tedious, as per your advice i'm being very careful with spun content so it's taking ages, i'm getting through it.

Funny story on analytics... was watching the numbers daily after the updates... zero, zero, zero... then I realised that I didn't install the analytics code when I updated the theme!

Blue Lion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 30, 2013
Asia
Thanks for documenting your progress in this thread. Some very valuable feedback in here.

Interested in hearing an update.

Also, after a quick look at your site, I can't see any social media links. Have you created a social media presence yet?

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Guys,

On 26th October last year I wrote (at the start of this thread):

The thing that i've realised this time around it that you have to be patient if you want to see results. You can't really say the project has failed until you've tried all these steps, and if you haven't tried all of these steps it is only because you are LAZY.

Well, I can officially confirm that I am a massive, LAZY, IDIOT. But fingers crossed, it is not too late for me to change.

After my initial flurry of activity, during which I posted 14 articles, built the site, created some backlinks and put together my first pass at a info product, this slowed down dramatically, but I keep getting signals that i'm on the right track and that I need to focus some more attention on this.

For instance, having barely touched the site in 6 months, I'm still getting about 20 hits a month, and the ratio of people landing on the "buy it now" page is good.

SO...

Over the next few days I will be making some key changes, which will kick this project back into gear.
  1. I'm killing the "this guide isn't ready yet" line on the buy it now page and I will be selling the guide as it is - This is KEY!!!!!!
  2. I'm switching back on the adwords campaign to use up the remaining credit I have
  3. I'm registering with eJunkie to manage payments
  4. I will write some new content
  5. I will pay someone on fiverr / people per hour for content
These are all pretty simple steps and are things that I should have done ages ago, i'm embarrassed that I've not done them already. I'm sharing this with you guys so that I have an audience to answer to and to hopefully help people who are in the same boat.

If I can get 1 or 2 sales of the guide, that will completely validate what i'm doing and will be a massive mental boost! With the stats that i'm getting on the site so far, and the adwords credit this shouldn't take too long.

If anyone has any thoughts on how I can promote this to a wider audience I would be very interested to hear. If you have a blog / audience that you think this would be relevant to i'd happily write some content for your, or give you a summary of the guide that you could share with your audience.

I will update you on my progress in a few days, and will absolutely let you know as soon as I make the first sale!

Thanks for listening!

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
So i've taken the first step. An updated version of the guide is now officially available for $7.99 on the site.

It was super easy to set up with eJunkie and get the "add to cart" buttons on the page.

Have dug out some new content that I will post on the site in the next couple of days.

Will activate adwords campaign this evening.

I've got 7 days free with eJunkie, it'd be magic if i could get a couple of sales before then!

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
The adwords campaign is switched on, I got about 18 hits yesterday. if my estimated CR of 1.5% is correct (based on the sorts of numbers i was seeing during test), theoretically I need 67 hits to get a sale. So i should get there in under 4 days. Less if I work hard to promote the site or up the adwords per day spend.

As always, any feedback on the site or the product would be much appreciated. If you visit the site and don't like it / wouldn't buy the guide i'd love to know why so i can make changes for the next iteration.

http://startupmarketresearch.com/

Blue Lion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 30, 2013
Asia
Some feedback...

I really don't like the colour scheme for your logo on your home page - red on grey does not go together well IMO.
You need to include information about who YOU are. It isn't very clear. You need to build more trust. Why should I pay YOU for your guide?
Move your blog posts to the front page to make them more visible. No-one is going to buy the guide unless they have read your posts and are happy with the content.

Good luck and keep going!

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
I really don't like the colour scheme for your logo on your home page - red on grey does not go together well IMO.

I NEED to invest in a premium theme. I wish i wasn't so tight, i'm looking at $45 like it'd be the end of the world if i didn't get it back.

You need to include information about who YOU are

I should also include info on who i am, i guess i'm holding back on this out of embarrassment, what if my friends / family / employer (!) see this and ridicule me??? (This question is somewhat retorical, i know I need to grow some balls... or maybe just show some info on my background that doesn't completely disclose who i actually am)

Move your blog posts to the front page to make them more visible

Bringing blog posts to front is a very good idea, I will look for a theme that incorporates this.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Keeping the momentum going on this...

I'm going to buy a premium theme and get it set up tonight. I'm looking at this one...

http://themeforest.net/item/timus-responsive-business-wordpress-theme/2358160

Let me know if you like / don't like.

I've also written some new content on determining the ROI for research projects, and the difference between qualitative and quantitative approaches.

I had my best week last week in terms of traffic, 52 hits, I know it's not huge, but it's a step in the right direction! Need to keep building on that and hopefully once i've got the new theme up and I look a bit more trustworthy i'll start to see some sales!

For those of you that have not seen the site it's at

startupmarketresearch.com

as always, i'd appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Stick with red white and black. No grey at all! That Grey bar is the first things my eyes gravitate too, and it pulls you away from everything else. I keep wanting to look at the grey bar. Which has no information.

Slides are going to fast. What does roads have to do with market research? Those two things are what draw my attention.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Stick with red white and black

Thanks, think i'll go with that Timus theme then and keep it very white, with hints of red and black as you suggest. I'll rethink the pics etc. as i implement the changes tonight. I guess the rationale behind the road was that investing in proper market research sets your business on the right path!

I'm going to get an ebook cover done on fiverr as well. Will commission tonight.

I NEED to start seeing some sales on this.

Going to spend some time on small business forums promoting the site and trying to get feedback, I rekon this is a good place to find them. I'm also looking to build relationships with some bloggers who are interested in promoting to their readership and I think i'll get a lot more traction once the site looks better.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Nothing's ever easy is it. I've bought a theme.

http://themeforest.net/item/stack-responsive-multipurpose-theme/5006452

But i'm having a nightmare uploading it, tried directly through wordpress but it says the file is too big. Have uploaded it via ftp and email my host to sort it out. hoping for a prompt responses, they're usually pretty good.

Pretty stressed out at the moment, doing a full days work then coming home to this kind of frustration. Just keep telling myself that i'm doing this precisely so that I don't have to put up with this stress in the future!

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Guys,

Yesterday I read this:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ing-theres-a-problem-is-the-first-step.51743/

and this:

http://sebastianmarshall.com/cutting-down-you-brilliant-person-you-need-to-cut-down

I definitely use the forum as an excuse for taking action, but deep down I know that me telling you what i'm going to do doesn't get me any closer to doing it. I read too much and I don't take enough action.

You won't hear from me again until i've made my first dollar through this Startup Market Research project, hopefully i don't be away long...

Last edited by a moderator:

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Evening all... first update in a little while from me and thankfully have a lot to report!

After a long call with my host (1and1) I finally got my theme up and hopefully you'll agree that it's a big improvement on what I had before:

http://startupmarketresearch.com/

There is also some new content up, namely a post about Co-creation, which hopefully will resonate with some of the community on here.

I have an updated version of the guide available on the site for $4.79, and i've made a small (£0.01!!) amount of money from the couple of adsense ads i have on the site.

I've also set up an affiliate program and am working with a couple of guys that are interested in promoting the guide in exchange for 50% of the income.

I'm talking to an online market research company about how we can work together to promote each others sites. It's looking like they will promote some of my content, and they'll pay me for referrals to them.

I'd be interested in talking to people on here about possible opportunities for guest post / or collaboration to promote the guide, PM me if you're interested!

I'm sticking with this, eventually i'll hit the tipping point and the money will start rolling in!
As always, very big thank you to anyone who has been reading this and has offered feedback and / or words of encouragement!

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Have you writen any guest posts for popular sites like entrepreneur.com and others? You can get a lot of visitors and build trust with some great guest posts.

I love reading about startups but the titles to your blog posts put me off reading them, in my head im thinking if the title is boring then the content is gonna be double boring.

How to do Market Research: The Market Research Process
Conducting Preliminary Analysis as Part of the Market Research Proces

This is a good example of a titles that imo needs rewriting. Sorry but I nearly fell asleep just reading those two titles.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Sorry but I nearly fell asleep just reading those two titles.

Hahaha this is priceless! I love the honesty on here. You've picked out these 2 but i'm betting that i'd benefit from reading through and rewriting all the titles.

I've not written any guest posts for popular sites, this is also something I should look into. I definitely need to figure out how i can leverage sites like this to drive more traffic.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
What does the guide outline bro?

I need to work on the copy on the "guide" page to make this clearer...

The guide is an thought provoking insight into market research and why it is particularly important to startups.
It explains how you can benefit from making research a central part of your business model.

It provides detailed information on how to take a structured approach to market research, rather than relying on input from your friends and family.

It shows the key benefits to conducting market research, and helps entrepreneurs develop the skills necessary to conduct these products without needing to use expensive research agencies.

In terms of practical skills it also goes into detail on different types of market research, how to write a questionnaire and how to conduct market research interviews.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.