• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! [Progress] Sanctus Nutrition - Supplement Company (and first real entrepreneurial pursuit)

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Brewer07, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $45,868

+1 to everything you said.

That’s not a bad idea, making two different sku’s to target women and men.

Side note, everytime I hear a woman say she doesn’t want to bulk up, I facepalm. If “bulking” were as easy as your clients thinks it is, I’d be a 3 time Arnold Classic winner.

2. Greg R

Greg R Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,309
    Just out of curiosity, why do you think the influencer campaign failed?

Brewer07 and Scot like this.
  3. Blaise84

Blaise84 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $902
    Thank you!

Lol, and yep, it can be a difficult topic to explain

Brewer07 and Scot like this.
  4. Brewer07

Brewer07 Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    1. We aren't an established brand, don't have an established product.
    2. Many fitness accounts with high followings are already sponsored
    3. Many fitness accounts with high followings that are not sponsored, are not looking to be sponsored. They think it compromises their integrity with their audience.
    4. People, especially with large followings, ignore DM's.
    5. We only have one product at the moment, instead of several products, which makes it harder for an influencer to promote (eventually the posts would get repetitive) and limits their earning potential (more products = higher chance for referral sales).

Greg R likes this.
  5. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    Seeking feedback on website:

Alright, I had today off from my day job. So I spent it re-constructing the website in six different Shopify themes, in addition to the theme we are currently using. I made a screen recording of each. Please let me know your thoughts. Keeping in mind certain things - like pictures and copy - can be edited, changed, etc. I'm looking for feedback on the design, layout, etc. That said, if you like the look of a certain theme but think a different picture should be used, let me know.

These are in no particular order:
    Brooklyn Theme
    Debut Theme
    Minimal Theme
    Narrative Theme
    Simple Theme
    Supply Theme
    Venture Theme

Let me know if you need more info, or more screen grabs.

Greg R likes this.
  6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $316,788
    Admin Post
    Have you looked at the most successful brands and simply try to model that style/presentation?

For instance,

http://jymsupplementscience.com/

Actually his brand has gone through some tribulations, supposedly with some agreement with Bodybuilding.com that went south. But yea, I was a big fan until I stopped using stuff with artificial colors/sweeteners.

Brewer07, Greg R and Scot like this.
  7. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $45,868

Yeah that’s a whole long story. They actually made up. But what’s interesting is watching how fanatical his followers are on the group. People will routinely go off on gnc reps who try to dissuade them from buying Jym products. Regardless of if they’re good or not, you want a business where people will fight to defend your business

Brewer07 and Greg R like this.
  8. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,058
    You need to use it. Big % of your audience is there.

Brewer07 likes this.
  9. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,058
    2 things on the new website.

Add a CTA at the bottom of the homepage.

I saw that you put a cta on the hero image. That's good but the learn more should enable the user to learn more not take him directly to the product page.

What you can do here is make a page where you "sell" the product. List the features and benefits and then put a buy button on the bottom of that page.

Brewer07 likes this.
  10. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    I really appreciate you stopping in and giving your feedback!

I've studied JYM, Progenex, 1st Phorm, Cellucor, Optimum Nutrition, Onnit, to name a few.

A few things I noted:
    1. They all sell multiple products, have an apparel line, and prominently feature their products on the front page. Example: having a "Shop by your goal" feature, where you are led to different products based on your goal (weight loss, muscle building, etc.)
    2. Most have contact info - phone number, address - located in the footer. I am working to figure out how to do this in my current theme, as there doesn't appear to be an option to show that information.
    3. Some have a video.
    They have more products and more content, and better images/3D renders for their products.

For product pages:
    1. Onnit has beautiful product pages. Holy sh*t.
    2. 1st Phorm and MusclePharm have very short descriptions with 1-3 images.
    3. ON is a short description, photos, athlete testimonials from their affiliate athletes.
    4. JYM has nothing other than one product shot and a description.
    5. Cellucor has several product shots plus a video describing the product
    6. Progenex has product shots, video, a description of the science behind the product.
    Product pages all lack images of people with the product. It's just the product.

I am aware I need a better 3D render/product picture. Every time I try and get this off Fiverr, it looks like sh*t. My current design guy is MIA / non-responsive when I reach out.

Added CTA to bottom. Working on a separate landing page to send visitors too rather than landing directly on the product page. I'll let you know when I have a finished version.

MJ DeMarco and Scot like this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $316,788
    Admin Post
    That's your problem. You pay five bucks, you get five bucks of value.

If your pictures "look" FiveRR, what does it say about your product? Was that outsourced at the "FiveR" of supplement manufacturers?

If you want to do something right, sometimes you just have to pay a premium and get a pro to do it.

Brewer07, SYK, Kingmaker and 2 others like this.
  12. RoadTrip

RoadTrip Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,041
    This. I have tried Fiverr many times and only a couple of times I got something useful. And I always have to repeat myself multiple times. I hate that.

I have been very satisfied with 99 designs for a package design. I got the cheapest option and still got a ton of designs, including some very good ones. I highly recommend it if you are in need of some design some day.

But since you need some Photoshop skills, maybe you can checkout Upwork or join some designer Facebook groups and ask for help there. There are plenty of good designers who are not expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Brewer07 likes this.
  13. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    Damn, that is spot on. Great insight - thank you. Sometimes I still have my "slowlane" mindset where I'm trying to do everything as cheap as possible, scared to spend money.

This has been my experience as well. Of everything I've paid for on Fiverr, I don't think I'm actively using a single thing.

14. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    Hey @Raoul Duke , I wanted to follow up and let you know what actions I've taken based on this post / what I've learned.

1. Bought Cashvertising tonight and will start reading tonight.
    2. I've read through the FB Marketing thread a few times. I've been running FB ad campaigns to test different markets, different copy, etc. We also have FB remarketing set up. I don't think our Pixel is calibrated correctly, because Facebook is claiming a certain # of purchases attributable to the campaigns that I can't verify through Shopify, but that's been the only frustrating part so far.
    3. I spoke with Andy on the phone and have an Adwords campaign + remarketing set up. I've had some problems with properly implementing the tag but I think I fixed that tonight. Pretty sure I just forgot to re-add the tag to the site after switching themes in Shopify.
    4. I'm launching a campaign in Adwords based on Andy's "apples falling out of the tree" remark re: setting up a campaign for people searching for your brand and products.
    5. The thread by eliquid is gold for a beginner like me.

That's a long way of saying I'm spending some money to learn how paid advertising works and improve my copy. I really appreciate your help!

Greg R, fiola, Raoul Duke and 2 others like this.
  15. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $45,868
    CB2AB12C-201E-4DE0-9BC4-81A1EE19AC1D.jpeg

Wtf kind of witchcraft is this @Brewer07 ?!?!? I log onto Facebook messenger to send someone a message and your daggon ad is IN messenger!

Damn props for blowing up FB ads lately, you’ve beeb retargeting me like a mofo!

Genius01, Greg R and Brewer07 like this.
  16. kkompoti

kkompoti Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,302
    i was reading this thread and googled your brand.
    i did not like the girl drinking your product photo.
    also i did not like the colour of the free shipping

sanc.png

also i went to the jym products page. they lack of product expaining you dont
    they have a more content marketing layout than your site.

you have done a fine job . you will find the small details .fix them and you will be successful

Greg R, Brewer07 and Scot like this.
  17. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    .......so did you order? Where can I improve the copy? Improve the photo?

:)

I appreciate the feedback. I've updated the photo and I like the new one a lot more - let me know what you think.

kkompoti, Scot and Greg R like this.
  18. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $45,868
    Honestly, if you put a bit more about “pharmacist formulated” I’d be your ideal customer. Good ad work though!

Brewer07 likes this.
  19. JoshM

JoshM Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $297
    I'm a bit late to the game, but here's where you need to get your supplement bottle renders:

Supplement Bottle Mock-Up v3.0 - This is where you spend your $5.

Now, you just need an attractive label. It will cost you. Bad designers are a dime a dozen and are afraid to price on value because they suck, but good designers won't bat an eyelash at charging $350 or more for one or two revisions. I suggest sourcing a designer off of Dribbble - do a search query for 'supplement' and you'll get a glimpse of some of the most talented designers you've ever seen: Dribbble - Show and tell for designers

Contact these designers via their profile on Dribbble, explain your project, and see if you can get an estimate. Trust me, going the extra mile on designing the right label will go a long way for you.

For a well-designed and highly-successful supplement brand, I'd recommend taking a look at Old School Labs. I do a lot of conversion optimization work for e-commerce clients and as far as design/copy is concerned, these guys "get it." A fine mix of attractive design, persuasive copy, strong value propositions, social proof, user-generated content (customer photos), credibility, and valuable blog content.

Their product pages are solid too-- very focused on attacking the problem with their "solution" and addresses concerns/objections that a consumer might have when shopping for supplements.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  20. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    Taking a lesson learned from Ca$hvertising (thanks again @Raoul Duke) - I'm going to make a seal (like this but sleeker and more modern promoting that aspect. Something like
    • "Pharmacist Developed"
    • "Pharmacist Formulated"
    • "#1 Pharmacist-recommend preworkout"

And place it on ALL ad images. Probably throw it on the bottle label too.

Thoughts?

Agree re: Old School Labs. I've used them as a case study throughout this process.

So would you recommend completely re-doing the label? That is one thing I did not have done on the cheap - technically it was free, but it was designed by a friend of mine who does that type of work for major national/international brands.

Scot and Raoul Duke like this.
  21. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $45,868
    I like it! I think that’s such a huge advantage that you haven’t been promoting. There’s so much noise in the supp space, you have to stand out.

I would either go with pharmacist developed or formulated, the #1 recommended doesn’t hold the same weight IMO.

Brewer07 likes this.
  22. JoshM

JoshM Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $297
    You know, the supplement label isn't bad per-se, but I'm willing to bet that you could sell more if you invested a bit more into the packaging/label design. The actual copy on the label seems solid, from what I can see.

Aside from that, there are improvements that can be made to the website from a design perspective. Breaking up the content and using visual cues might help make that copy stand out and make the product even more attractive.

My brain is functioning today :clench:, so I might just send over a mockup to give you some ideas for how you can approach this.

Brewer07 and Argue like this.
  23. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    Appreciate it! See attached file.

Man, I really appreciate that. Let me know what you come up with!

Attached Files:

24. Brewer07

Rep Bank:
    $5,100
    Lots of updates! Been very busy lately, hence the lack of feedback here.
    1. I mentioned the affiliate program making zero traction. Well...that changed lately. We now have several engaged and enthusiastic affiliates working with us. I've updated the website to include a "Meet Our Athletes" section.
    2. I added a "Find Our Retailer" section to the website as well. We got a deal with another gym that I think has a lot of potential. It hits on a market I never thought of going after, but a friend of mine uses the product for their workouts and has recommended it to members there. The owners tried our product, loved it, and are now stocking it.
    3. We are placing an order this week for our second manufacturing run of Focal Force :thumbsup:.
    4. We are still figuring out Facebook & Adwords advertising. The ads are improving - we're getting engagement (likes & comments), and CTRs aren't bad, but still lots of room to improve.
    5. We are struggling to convert sample orders into sales. This is my biggest source of frustration right now. December was a rough month due to holidays - people don't buy supplements for Christmas gifts. We had numerous customers say they would order come 2018 - but now we're getting silence. Many of our sample customers just straight-up don't respond to emails, which is incredibly frustrating. The ones who do respond love the product - but then I still can't get them to convert!
    6. Product pages are still not converting. I've re-written some copy:
      1. Headline:
        1. Previous: "Are you looking for a low caffeine preworkout"
        2. New (as of this AM): "Are you looking for amazing, intense workouts without side effects?"
      2. Copy directly below the headline:
        1. New (as of this AM):
          1. "IMAGINE THE BEST WORKOUT YOU'VE EVER HAD.
            The weights feel like feathers in your hands. Your mind is in the zone - nothing can distract you. You can literally feel the blood flowing through your veins. Your previous records stand no chance. You feel stronger and more capable than ever before. You feel like you could workout for days.

What if you could achieve that feeling for every workout?

That's what its like to use Focal Force Low Caffeine Pre-workout!

Other pre-workouts load up on caffeine and skimp on other ingredients. Too much caffeine makes your heart race, makes your hands jittery, makes you crash before your workout is over, makes you lose sleep. It can also sabotage your long-term health. Adrenal fatigue sucks.

What if there was a way to get awesome workouts, every time – without the crash? Without jitters? Without losing sleep?

Enter Focal Force Low Caffeine Pre-Workout."
    In summary: biggest sources of frustration - lack of conversions and struggle to bring in traffic.
    Biggest recent wins: growth in engaged affiliates and potential retail leads.

As always, I really appreciate the advice and support from this forum. Let me know your thoughts!

buildingbetter and Scot like this.
  25. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $45,868
    Looks good, I like it!

Btw I just got tagged with your IG ad, the one with your fiancé holding up two tubs of focal force. Noticed that no where on the ad copy does it mention Focal Force is preworkout.

Brewer07 likes this.