The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] Graphic Designer Going Freelance & Fastlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Wow. What a thread. You went through an intense experience with that guy, and I'm sure it took a lot of building back and reprocessing and healing to move on from that experience.

I completely resonated with your story because I went through something similar with a toxic, evil person back in 2012-2013. Even to this day I am still processing through some of the damage I suffered in that season.

How have things played out for you? It has been almost 5 years. What are you working on these days?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I completely resonated with your story because I went through something similar with a toxic, evil person back in 2012-2013. Even to this day I am still processing through some of the damage I suffered in that season.
Ah, sorry to hear that @Bekit . What do you think will help you fully process or repair the damage done?

I've just reread this thread and it gave me goosebumps. I've messaged Nico outside the forum to see how he's doing and to yell him his thread was bumped. I don't know what Nico is up to nowadays.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Ah, sorry to hear that @Bekit . What do you think will help you fully process or repair the damage done?

I've just reread this thread and it gave me goosebumps. I've messaged Nico outside the forum to see how he's doing and to yell him his thread was bumped. I don't know what Nico is up to nowadays.
Time has helped. For the longest time, I could barely even look back on that experience and process "WHAT EVEN HAPPENED?" I don't think there's much of a substitute for the passage of time. It's like healing from a broken bone. It just takes time.

Resetting my thinking has helped. I had to take a long, hard look at where I went wrong and how I had been "taken in" by manipulative tactics. I found two main categories here:

1. Areas where I was primed to fall for this because of PRIOR thinking patterns
- For example, I had a disproportionate trust in authority figures. "The leader should be deferred to." "The leader should be given the benefit of the doubt." "It's disrespectful to question the leader." This led me to dismiss red flags and trust a leader who turned out to be nothing but a toxic, evil person.

2. Areas where I went wrong because I drew bad conclusions in the AFTERMATH of the damaging situation.
- Once my eyes were opened and I quit, I drew a bunch of conclusions in my pain that tangled me up for a while. For example, "I can't trust anybody." No, just because THIS was a bad person doesn't mean NOBODY is to be trusted. Figuring out who to trust comes down to gaining skill in reading people, identifying red flags, doing better due diligence, and having the courage to ask hard questions. It takes a lot of work to parse these kinds of things out.

Talking about it has helped. For the longest time, I had a really hard time telling the story of what happened to me. But once I started to tell the story, I found myself far more able to process the experience, grieve over it, and come to closure. Interestingly, reading someone else's detailed story of their traumatic experience in a 100-part webcomic was incredibly instrumental in me being able to process my own experience. (Trigger warning for just about every intense thing on the planet if you visit that link, FYI.) The reason this helped me so much was that I could see SO many similarities between my own experience and this person's experience. Even though my actual circumstances were completely different, it was like the abusers were operating by the same playbook. And it felt like I wasn't alone, and I wasn't crazy for "falling for it" when I saw that other people had gone through the same kind of thing. (As a note - my experience was nowhere on the same scale of intensity as this story. Nevertheless, I could still see a lot of lessons and similarities that helped me.)

Where I said that "Even to this day I am still processing through some of the damage I suffered in that season," it's things like...
  • I'm still gunshy about certain situations and certain kinds of people. This might make me hesitate or be more fearful than I used to be.
  • I have repeatedly found myself in similar situations with similar people, almost as if I attract these situations like a magnet. Fortunately, though, I have become MUCH quicker at sniffing it out, and if I see the signs and the red flags, I'm out without hesitation.
  • I keep finding areas where I have to parse out my thinking (similar to the example above of figuring out who to trust). I've run into countless unhelpful thought patterns that were holding me back, which could all be traced to conclusions I drew in the aftermath of that experience, which I then had to process through and figure out what was actually true.
  • I have struggled a lot with feelings of hopelessness and meaninglessness after being wounded in that experience, which was something I never experienced before and have had to learn how to deal with.
@Nicoknowsbest I wouldn't be surprised if the last 5 years for you have been a similar journey of challenges and ups and downs. Hope you are faring well these days!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.