• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION [Progress] Building a SaaS app and logging my learnings

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by warrantor, May 13, 2019.

1. warrantor

warrantor Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $209
    Hi everyone!

For the past 6 years I've been a software development consultant. Lots of politics and being on the bottom of the corporate food chain but, earning good money. I've had this feeling that it's not for me for quite some time now. Also, exchanging time for money is not really how I see myself spending my days until I'm 67.

I figured, maybe I can use these software development skills for something of my own. I've actually had a lot of projects I tried for myself, but none of them made it into production. Most of the time it was just my own feedback loop from hell that kept me from pushing through.

Now, I'm a bit older and a bit wiser (I think) and have learned that, there is only one good idea and that's the one you actually execute. So, I'm executing.

The app I'm building is a SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) app, that I eventually want to turn into a platform. I heard it is not easy to grow both sides of a platform at the same time, the sides being, people who put their stuff on there and people who are looking for the other side's stuff. So, I thought let's concentrate on one side first, and that is the "providers" side. In my story this means people who rent out real-estate. I think this side is the first side where the cash flow can come from. I want to provide value by giving people insights into their property investment and a central place to manage the ins and outs of that.

If this side is up and running and giving some income, we can see if it's interesting to add the other side to the platform, being, the people who rent. In this way I hope to bridge the gap between landlord and occupant.

This idea came from renting out an apartment myself and not finding the tool that suits my needs out there.

So, at this moment I'm building the app and I think it goes "according to plan", if I had one. I will update this thread, hopefully pretty soon, with a go-live announcement!

Love to hear from you any questions/ideas.

Worst case I'll always have one user! ME!

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Scalr, Longinus, RayAndré and 2 others like this.
  2. warrantor

warrantor Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $209
    Hi all

I've been busy last week with writing the first parts of the web app. The creation of your owner profile is there. I started with this because this is the first step in using the app. I try to build the app by following the happy flow that'll get you started.
    So the flow is:
    • Create your profile.
    • Add your first property.
    • Add a tenant to your property.
    • manage your property and its details.
    This week, I looked a bit around to find some other apps that do this kind of stuff, just to be sure I know my "competition". Again, I found there are not a lot of these. There was a website that bundled different providers of these apps, but most of them looked awful, like, they hadn't updated the user interface in 10 years and for all of them I needed to do a lot of work to find where to signup and when I found it, it was like, "leave your details, we contact you". Not the kind of service I was expecting.

All of these were US based companies, so I don't know if I'm even able to signup. I still found only the one real competitor that is based here in Belgium, there are others smaller from real-estate agents that have built some software on the side, but it's not there core business and it shows in the quality. I tried to signup for with that one competitor, but again, "leave your details, we'll call you". They are the only ones that actually did call. I just don't like to be called, please mail me. Never heard anything from them again.

So, this was it for this small status update.
    We'll keep crackin' on, to finish this ASAP.

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 5:19 AM
    SmartLambda and Longinus like this.
  3. yla

yla New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Congrats on getting started and keeping yourself accountable with this progress thread! As someone with a software background as well, I enjoy coming across other people working in the same domain on the FLF.

From what I have learned from others, one of the biggest fears is investing lots of time/effort into building a product and then discovering that the demand for it isn't actually there.

It's awesome to see that, from your own experience in real estate, that this is a problem that you've personally encountered as this potentially means that others may have the same problem wishing for it be solved as well (and are willing to pay).

With that, have you done any further validation that this is something that others want to use? That they would pay for? Also, how do you plan to market your product? How do you plan to get your customers?

Not sure if you've come across it yet but @eliquid has an AMA thread where you can ask him anything about SaaS (he's building his 7th). Maybe it will be of use to you!

eliquid likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.