The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product idea for very portable sleeping cot

Idea threads

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
Hello community. Salvador here! right now i feel a little clouded in my head if i can be honest.

I was out on vacation just a short week ago. I was sleeping at families homes while visiting. The beds were taken up by other brothers and visitors. So I put two couches together to make a little fortress bed, comfortable I guess until the two couches would slide from each other and separate at midnight. Haha, then my body would fall down!
I brought with me my camping sleeping bag, its very compact so i was able to fit it in my luggage bag, about a foot long and 6 inches thick when rolled in the seeping bag. I opened the sleeping bag and used it as a blanket at which ever family relatives house we slept at while on family vacation.

I hated having no space to sleep some nights, but i was thankful that i at least had this portable sleeping bag i can take out from my luggage bag (it barely took up space!) and then unrolled as a blanket.
-------------
Remembering what @MJ DeMarco said that needs can be found in the language of people, like complaining! Well i was complaining!
In between being awake and falling under heavy sleep, i thought to myself, if only I had some sort of portable bed that I can fit and carry just like this small packaged sleeping bag. And i can fit in my luggage bag and take out and not worry about their being bed space.
I pulled my journal out when we got to my grandmas house, and began to write the idea down and how i saw the product. I started sketching parts, then took the next couple of weeks to sketch up models of the product. Got home, began to work on it more in my room using my white board. (You get the picture!)
-------------
I want to design a very light, portable, and small packaged bed cot. A cot that's also above the ground by at least 10 inches or more. I've seen and slept on cots before, camping cots, army cots, RV cots. They are durable and thick framed. But are a bit heavy and the bag its in is like the fold-able chair bags, long and heavy so you have to carry it over your shoulder with a sling.
The way I saw this cot is, you can put it in a backpack or luggage bag and take it out and make a bed and tuck yourself in. (perfect for couch surfers, homeless, backpackers/hikers, etc.)
I specifically wanted this portable cot to fit in a bag like the sleeping bag i had, 12inches by 6 inches.
Well while finishing up my product idea, I then proceeded to look for other similar lightweight cots that may be out in the market. I found some like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...r%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=lightweight+cot
download.png
http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-outfitter-xl-cot-with-pivot-arm/1752509.uts
cot 2.png
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRS-...ng-Sleeping-Cot-folding-tent/32274554760.html
cot 3.jpg

I figured i would find these type of cots out, so I was intimidated. They didnt look like what i imagined, or where packaged how i envisioned it for easy carry. I used them to help me come up with designs.
----------

Why i feel clouded, is because after a couple weeks of drawing up sketches of what my cot idea could be, i found this in the market. It was almost exactly what i imagined. A Helinox cot, Its light weight, and has the options of legs that can lift it up above ground.

http://www.campsaver.com/high-cot
CotLite-3-zm.jpg HighCot-zm.jpg
why reinvent the wheel.

I also planned on making a tent around my product idea, also a mosquito net set up. But i found its already made.

dce6c787794aeb5dd2d846c0dfa7e091.jpg

Im feeling lost, I know competition would be their, but the product by Hhelinox is very good. Brand and culture could give me an edge against competition.
The product is already there, although a lot more expensive, but then their is Cabellas lightweight cot thats like $60, pretty cheap.

I dont know if its worth moving on with and i should feel good that i at least tried and tackled the idea down. Any input would help community.
(Please dont be easy, this isn't a place to sugarcoat things, we are tough people here!)

-Thank you for giving this a read, i really appreciate it! I thought i should at least "pitch" the idea to other executing entreprenuers and tell them my situation,
Salvador

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
why reinvent the wheel.

If you're desperately looking for a product, and you only find out it exists after days of diligent searching, there's a big opening for you to become the product people find in seconds rather than days.

Do you know what @JasonR @Vick @Likwid24 and @Eskil all have in common?

They've all made mad bank off a product that either completely or substantially already existed when they started working on development.

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
If you're desperately looking for a product, and you only find out it exists after days of diligent searching, there's a big opening for you to become the product people find in seconds rather than days.

Do you know what @JasonR @Vick @Likwid24 and @Eskil all have in common?

They've all made mad bank off a product that either completely or substantially already existed when they started working on development.
That is brilliant! But i just typed in "lightweight cot" on google, and Helinox product popped up as well as others, it wasnt quiet a diligent search. But they aren't common.
and no, Ive seen them around the forum but i am not familiar with their business...

(If i may add for other readers, as i am drawing up the idea and business, I am not thinking of prices and cost of producing a prototype or starting-capital. I dont want the thought of money being an issue to interfere with creativity thoughts as i plan. I read it from Richard Branson as thinking " i only have a couple thousands to invest" since it limits you and youll have limited ideas, is what Mr. Branson mentioned in a book)

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
That is brilliant! But i just typed in "lightweight cot" on google, and Helinox product popped up as well as others, it wasnt quiet a diligent search. But they aren't common.
and no, Ive seen them around the forum but i am not familiar with their business...

(If i may add for other readers, as i am drawing up the idea and business, I am not thinking of prices and cost of producing a prototype or starting-capital. I dont want the thought of money being an issue to interfere with creativity thoughts as i plan. I read it from Richard Branson as thinking " i only have a couple thousands to invest" since it limits you and youll have limited ideas, is what Mr. Branson mentioned in a book)

Please make a lightweight backpack that folds down into a chair. Make it black.

That's what my friends and I wanted while standing outside during Army training.

:)

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
That's a nice cot, but $400 is alot of money. Can you make a decent one for less? Maybe even make it more compactible.
Thats something! my product can be the more economical/cheap Helinox cot. Theirs is around 400, do you think it cost them less than a hundred bucks to make?
I wouldnt mind selling for under $100, it would be a start to dominate the market.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
It's called a blow up mattress...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thats something! my product can be the more economical/cheap Helinox cot. Theirs is around 400, do you think it cost them less than a hundred bucks to make?
I wouldnt mind selling for under $100, it would be a start to dominate the market.

I just camped using a cot, not the lightweight one, but the Cabela's one. It actually made me think if importing these cots are viable. I believe they are $40-$75 and fairly heavy.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Please make a lightweight backpack that folds down into a chair. Make it black.

That's what my friends and I wanted while standing outside during Army training.

:)

6107f49847b452766440f00b9dca4770.jpg

Not Black, but could easily be made black.

Found a black one:

defcon-bp-chair-03_1024x1024.jpg

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

When you say "working on development", what does that exactly mean?

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
It's called a blow up mattress...
No. Thats wrong haha. Two different things, for different types of camping.
A hiker, wont carry a box of an inflatable bed, plus the pump....
Why make a longboard if i have a skateboard?
why own a truck when i can put things in the back of a my sedan?
I appreciate the feedback, but how about some persepctive before making a close minded remark.
Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just improving upon a product thats alread being sold (which is a good indicator that the idea is already makong profit)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.