The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Private forum - Authors

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some interest has been expressed for a private forum in the self-pub/author category...

The group function is pretty worthless.

I can create a sub-forum for this if desired. Also, what privacy would be preferred?

1) User must be logged in and with an forum account.

or

2) The above + user must have certain speed/posts.

or

3) User must have a password to access the subforum.

Please let me know.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Thanks for looking at this! If it were up to me, I'd pick option 2 or 3. Mostly, I'd just like to know that if I share private information related to a pen name or earning info that it's not up there for the whole world to see.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I would definitely prefer 2 or 3. It depends on how detailed we would get in our posts there. I would post better strategies that i come across only if it's password protected. That's just my .02

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, as I made the group and started looking into it's functionality, I realized it would be difficult to keep it going, moderate it, etc.

Thanks MJ. I say #2, maybe a speed of 10-20? Nothing high (and I'm biased cuz my speed is still low), but enough to say "Hey, I've done a couple progress updates on a business or writing" or some such.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Thanks MJ, great idea. I agree, definitely #2 or #3 - I'm just not sure which.

#2 makes it so that not everyone in the world is viewing it, but makes the access attainable if the rep count isn't outrageous.

#3 makes it an invite only club - which I kinda find appealing, but new blood certainly won't make it in as fast as #2.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Looks like most prefer option 2 or 3. Either one works for me.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Ignore this! I just posted a plea to let me join even with no speed and then noticed I have speed! How did that happen?!?!

Re: the idea, it's a great one.

Last edited:

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
I think all three options are viable. But are they feasible? The biggest concern for the writers here seems to be anonymity. I'm not sure that would be possible on such a public forum as this? It could be done other ways: via email communication, instant messaging , skype, etc. but that would take away from the sharing spirit of the Fastlane Forum. I think we would all agree that is something we don't want to do.

I hope we can find something that works because this is something I would be interested in getting involved with.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Password protected would instill the most confidence, but then someone would have to step up to the plate and be the group administrator and vet people. I am just writing an instructional ebook, so I have nothing to really worry about, but that is my opinion.

If y'all want me to, even though I am not a super awesome author, I could spearhead the password management/vetting process.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Password protected would instill the most confidence, but then someone would have to step up to the plate and be the group administrator and vet people. I am just writing an instructional ebook, so I have nothing to really worry about, but that is my opinion.

If y'all want me to, even though I am not a super awesome author, I could spearhead the password management/vetting process.

With password protection, you just start by giving all the beginning members the password. Then, anyone in the group can give the password to other members that they feel would be good additions to the group.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
hi, any movement on this? anything I can do?

I suggest that we all post the type we want 1,2,3 and then start this Friday.

I think 3 offers the most privacy but not enough new blood so I'll go for 2.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
How to speed up doing vs talking, may be a single published book req as well?

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Ok shall we say that the criteria to be voted on is:

1) 1,2 or 3
2) How much minimum speed?
3) Whether 1 published book is required.

My vote is:

1) 2
2) 20 because it seems easily achievable
3) yes. because hitting publish is where I learned the most.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Aside from sharing pen names, I'm not really sure how much use a private author forum would get, to be honest.

The pool of active writers on this forum is already pretty small. I'm not sure segregating it further would help much.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
1) 2
2) 20 because it seems easily achievable
3) yes. because hitting publish is where I learned the most.

I'm fine with whatever the majority wants, but if everyone decides 1 published book should be required, wouldn't that make option #3 the mandatory choice? And who/how would one verify a member has a book published, since most will be under pen names?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
For me it boils down to whether I am brave enough to share my pen name. There are a number of reasons why I might not be, even if this private forum comes to pass.

Was also thinking the same thing. I'm not sure I would share my pen name, even in a private forum. I simply like the anonymity too much. Even if my work sucks (and I'm sure my first few titles will), I'd rather not hear about it at my TMF safe haven.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Funny isn't it, how sometimes the things that sound great in theory might not be worth it when you consider all the nuances? The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'd ever share my pen name either. I think I'd be more likely to share it in private correspondence than on a forum, private or otherwise. And oddly enough, if I ever did get brave enough to share it, I'd probably post it to the Inside. There are so many people on this forum whose insight I admire, and a lot of them aren't fiction writers.

The more we brainstorm this, the more I wonder if a private forum for writers might not be used as fully as we originally thought at first mention. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Yea, looks like it wouldn't really be utilized. Ohh well, it was worth thinking about anyway.

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
So, it seems like this idea is dead. Oh, well. There are plenty of other ways for us to support each other here without divulging our pen names.

Major props to MJ for his effort in considering a way for us to do this, though. That's one of the reasons why I love this forum: everyone is always looking for ways to help and support each other.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I like the idea of a non-indexed board where authors can let down their hair and talk about things they know their audience won't see.

If it exists it should be password protected. There's already the speedway which isn't indexed and requires a low minimum speed. Might as well just post in there if that's the level of privacy you wanted.

Fast-tao

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 28, 2013
Turin (Italy)
In my opinion a private forum could be useful. We can share more insight of our work process, without sharing our pen name imperatively.
On the other side, private it means that few writers will join it in the futures, because there will be lower posts on the public forum to read about this topic.

I'm not still an insight member, in fact i just joined the forum few days ago. But i think the best solution would be use the private insight member forum. It is simple, it is working and other capable fastlaner can give nice suggestion from other point of view.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
I think this is a valid option, just have it set at a certain speed requirement. That way it's not "exclusive" but is still a place where serious posters can come to talk shop. I have questions on self publishing and such, and I consider myself an author foremost.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps the better question...

How many would like to post something related to their writing and have NOT because the forum is too public? And indexed by Google?

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ

How many would like to post something related to their writing and have NOT because the forum is too public? And indexed by Google?

It's not THE reason why I haven't, but it's a factor. If that factor was gone I'd have less excuses.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013

I can only think of a few things. Like, I was eager to show off my first book cover creation and might have shared my first published work. But, although I was eager, I wasn't prepared to out my pen name either, and I don't think a private forum would have changed that.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I can only think of a few things. Like, I was eager to show off my first book cover creation and might have shared my first published work. But, although I was eager, I wasn't prepared to out my pen name either, and I don't think a private forum would have changed that.

I second this. However, the fact that this is a public forum is a big factor for me.

JPBB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
As an off-the-wall suggestion, how about a "sticky" in the existing publishing forum that has a list of pen names used by folks here (those that care to anonymously share). It would need to be posted by an admin I suppose.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.