The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Poll] Should you publicly announce your goals or keep them in secret?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Should you publicly announce your goals or keep them in secret?

• Announce the goals publicly

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Keep the goals in secret

Votes: 42 85.7%

• Total voters

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
When setting goals, what is the best strategy: should you announce your goals publicly (on social media, on your blog, on this forum, telling it to friends and family), or should you keep your goals in secret?

When do you have the best chance to achieve your goals, if you announce them or if you keep them in secret?

Please vote, see the poll above!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
You have the best chance to reach your goals when you work on them every day and don't quit.
I agree, but do you prefer sharing your goals or keeping them in secret, and why?

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Dec 5, 2020
Sometimes I share my goals and sometimes I don’t. It depends on who I'm talking to. I don’t believe in magic or anything deciding if we reach our goals if we do/don't tell them to others.

I usually like to share my goals more after I’ve achieved them though, but that might just be my ego talking...

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sometimes I share my goals and sometimes I don’t. It depends on who I'm talking to. I don’t believe in magic or anything deciding if we reach our goals if we do/don't tell them to others.

I usually like to share my goals more after I’ve achieved them though, but that might just be my ego talking...

I agree! I only share the full scope with my inner circle who are entrepreneurs. Others I only share a bit of my direction.

Sharing achievements because you’re proud of them is different than bragging to randoms. It’s good to have pride in what you do.

ErickMendez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jun 14, 2023

Should You Publicly Announce Your Goals Or Keep Them In Secret?​

I personally keep them a secret until I have results.

I don't tell anyone about what I'm doing because they most likely don't care or don't believe in me.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
I keep them to myself. When I was in a relationship, I spoke to them about it. But that is just my personality. I hate it when I announce goals and people say “well how is that going to happen?” Or “are you sure that’s going to work?”

uhhfeef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 17, 2022
I think for me, sharing goals feels like action faking. It gives the feeling of achievement without doing anything. I think the harder thing is to keep it within and show, not talk.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
When setting goals, what is the best strategy: should you announce your goals publicly (on social media, on your blog, on this forum, telling it to friends and family), or should you keep your goals in secret?

When do you have the best chance to achieve your goals, if you announce them or if you keep them in secret?

Neither.

I dont tell people about business ventures or my projects openly unless it just naturally comes up in a conversation.

A fair amount of people have side hustles and fully functional businesses that still work a job, so it just naturally goes in that direction of conversation.

You achieve your goals by working on them everyday, who you tell, or don't tell doesn't matter.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No. Unless having friends/family/people tell you you're a fool motivates and fires you up?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
No one will care about it, speaking from experience. Keep it to yourself.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
I believe sharing my goals with people who are closer to mee so if they see me going off track they can remind me also sharing the goals public makes you want to work towards them because if you don't people will tell that you were just blabbering and are capable of doing nothing

Please vote, see the poll above

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I share it with people personally if the topic gets brought up.

Some people encourage me which pushes me push further, rocketing my growth knowing people believe in me.

Some people don’t believe me, but I don’t try to prove them wrong, it pushes me so I can learn I’m not what other people think, I’m what I can put my mind to.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Michael Jordan would tell people he’s gonna smoke them before the game starts. When you tell people your goals you’ll be forced to rise to the occasion because you’d look stupid if you don’t follow through.

I talk a big game and tell everyone my goals. Sure, people tell me I can’t do it but that pushes me to prove them wrong!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Nobody cares, but you. Spend a half an hour you would work on crafting the post crafting another piece of the puzzle of your business.

The post announcing your intentions, doesn’t mean anything. Working on another piece of your business does.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Michael Jordan would tell people he’s gonna smoke them before the game starts. When you tell people your goals you’ll be forced to rise to the occasion because you’d look stupid if you don’t follow through.

I talk a big game and tell everyone my goals. Sure, people tell me I can’t do it but that pushes me to prove them wrong!

I believe this is the exception for most people, however, if it works for you, then definitely do it!

In fact, now that you mention it, the naysayers in my life helped motivate me as well, specifically, in college when I told people I wouldn't be getting a job and instead would be starting a business. They laughed at the idea. Now those laughers are stuck on a freeway at 6AM going to a job they likely hate, or just tolerate.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I talk about my business venture, though I don't share my goals specifically. My Slowlane job brings in many different people, and talking about anything is half the job. 9 out of 10 times, it is just a conversation topic when there is nothing else to talk about. However, I have meet people who have actually been able to help push my business forward because of this.

If you can't take negative people, then don't tell people. Frankly, I don't care what people think. It does not affect me in the slightest. Luckily, the majority of people I talk too are positive... at least to my face.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Wrong, you do it because you can't help yourself.

I remember being in high school and telling people that I would become somebody someday. I wanted people to think more highly of me. I wanted to show people that I was above the high school bullshit. I wanted to be worth something in their eyes.

Just know that what you say to people has an impression, but it might not be the impression you think.

Also, Michael Jordan learned that shit from Larry Bird. Larry did it to him and Michael took it personal lmao.

Maybe the scoffs and sneers from others will motivate you like it did Michael. It motivated me. Still does.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023

I don’t make it my goal to prove them wrong;

you would hold grudges,
waste precious time thinking about them,
never be at peace,
lose vision of purpose and goals,
and focus on the future, not the present.

I instead use that negative naysay stuff as motivation to show myself that other don’t set my limits, and I set my own limits and expectations.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Wrong, you do it because you can't help yourself.

I remember being in high school and telling people that I would become somebody someday. I wanted people to think more highly of me. I wanted to show people that I was above the high school bullshit. I wanted to be worth something in their eyes.

Just know that what you say to people has an impression, but it might not be the impression you think.

Also, Michael Jordan learned that shit from Larry Bird. Larry did it to him and Michael took it personal lmao.

Maybe the scoffs and sneers from others will motivate you like it did Michael. It motivated me. Still does.
What’s your point?

I don’t make it my goal to prove them wrong;

you would hold grudges,
waste precious time thinking about them,
never be at peace,
lose vision of purpose and goals,
and focus on the future, not the present.

I instead use that negative naysay stuff as motivation to show myself that other don’t set my limits, and I set my own limits and expectations.
It makes me more focused on the goal. I guess we’re just different if proving someone wrong makes you lose focus.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Not really the case for many people. It has no impact on my actions at all.
Michael Jordan is also a professional athlete, who was one of if not the best in the world, it's a bit different to you just go around telling normies how much better you are than them because you are trying to build some shitty little business.

If anyone talked a big game to me like that over stuff I would just roll my eyes and think he is insecure as all fark about himself.

No one cares at all as @Vigilante says. Even other business people won't care at all. They might be interested in the topic and it makes for good conversations if you share the same interests, but they don't really care all that much about your success.

No one cares except you, no one cares if you succeed or fail. People only care about their own lives.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

Announcing publicly is better in my opinion because it will allow you to stay motivated and also keep your commitments. If you say you would and you don't then you will appear dishonest, lying, irresponsible. Which is not good.

My peers know that I'm working on something but they don't know what exactly it is. All this thanks to my simple publications on Facebook, status on WhatsApp. They often ask me: when would the application be ready? I hope it wouldn't be expensive.

And I answer them: I'm in the process of it and as soon as it is you will be the first to be informed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.