The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Please Help: Behaviour Change

Anything related to matters of the mind

Kirsov

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 30, 2022
Germany
I have been trying hard to change my behaviour for two years now. The way I want to behave, it doesn't stick. I don't know where I am going wrong. I can create a habit like going to the gym, eating healthy, reading, not watching TV, basically anything and make it stick. But, when it comes to my behaviour, I don't know how to make it stick. Any book recommendations to change my behaviour effectively?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
540%
Apr 17, 2022
What exactly are you trying to change?
Behavior can be regarded as any movement you make with your body.

Kirsov

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 30, 2022
Germany
What exactly are you trying to change?
Behavior can be regarded as any movement you make with your body.
One example is thinking like a "vulcan". I felt so good when I started thinking like one but it was all a concious process and it didn't stick. I want it to be subconcious, a habit.

I want to think differently. I want my old way of thinking to abondon me but it keeps coming back to tale over a new way of thinking each time I adopt one. For example: Three weeks back, I was thinking and seeing the world like an entrepreneur but now, my old way of thinking took over again.

I want to think in a specific way and think in that specific way permanently. I want that way of thinking to be permanent.

I was recommended the golden mindset post to read and I did, but, I still struggle in making my new way of thinking stick.

The longest period I went with a new way of thinking is 2-3 days. After that, my old way of thinking takes over and rule my life again...

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
540%
Apr 17, 2022
One example is thinking like a "vulcan". I felt so good when I started thinking like one but it was all a concious process and it didn't stick. I want it to be subconcious, a habit.

I want to think differently. I want my old way of thinking to abondon me but it keeps coming back to tale over a new way of thinking each time I adopt one. For example: Three weeks back, I was thinking and seeing the world like an entrepreneur but now, my old way of thinking took over again.

I want to think in a specific way and think in that specific way permanently. I want that way of thinking to be permanent.

I was recommended the golden mindset post to read and I did, but, I still struggle in making my new way of thinking stick.

The longest period I went with a new way of thinking is 2-3 days. After that, my old way of thinking takes over and rule my life again...
Now I understand.

You keep coming back to the old ways of thinking because it's very natural to you. And it's natural to you because it is you. You've practiced being that person for the entirety of your life.

If you want to be a different person, you will have to practice being that new person for a very long time. 2-3 days is not enough, we're talking about weeks and months here. It's going to be a hard road, and the old you will try to get back control. If you ignore it and push forward, you will eventually succeed.

Always take 1 thing at a time. Reinforce your thinking with action. Do it repeatedly until it becomes second nature.

You will become what you do on a regular basis. So choose carefully.

Kirsov

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 30, 2022
Germany
Now I understand.

You keep coming back to the old ways of thinking because it's very natural to you. And it's natural to you because it is you. You've practiced being that person for the entirety of your life.

If you want to be a different person, you will have to practice being that new person for a very long time. 2-3 days is not enough, we're talking about weeks and months here. It's going to be a hard road, and the old you will try to get back control. If you ignore it and push forward, you will eventually succeed.

Always take 1 thing at a time. Reinforce your thinking with action. Do it repeatedly until it becomes second nature.

The problem is that in order to practice being that person, I have to know about the person first. Hence, I binge read and try to get as much information as I can.
Now I understand.

Do you have any book recommendations on identity/character building other than the one MJ already recommended "Transform Your Habits" in the identity technique? I believe that I am building my identity in a wrong way.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
The problem is that in order to practice being that person, I have to know about the person first. Hence, I binge read and try to get as much information as I can.

Do you have any book recommendations on identity/character building other than the one MJ already recommended "Transform Your Habits" in the identity technique? I believe that I am building my identity in a wrong way
Personality isn't permanent is a crucial one. There's also Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Both encourage you to get to know yourself better and experience things to know what makes you tick.

The first recommendation has a lot of exercise I think you may find useful. Every single chapter has a follow up set of questions. An example of the exercise include write an autobiography, not of you, but of the person who is you that has accomplish all your dreams and desire. From writing, you will realize the process that might entail to become such a person. You may see what you must give up or what to adopt in order to get there.
This of course, is just one important exercise.
All in all, this book will bring more clarity towards who you want to become.

The second one is pretty important too, in the sense that you don't to have try to be something you're not. In this case if you're an introvert, you don't have to try and be an extrovert. The argument that the author push forward should show you why you should find the middle ground(your own path or what makes you perform well) than to follow someone you look up to. I particularly like this book quite a lot too because it is liberating to see and understand why it's not necessary to do things the right way. At the end of the day, Who says it's right? Perhaps there's a better way of doing things. Perhaps what I'm doing is working for me? Etc.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
540%
Apr 17, 2022
Put the books down, because this time the answer is within you.

Close your eyes and imagine the most wonderful life you can live. By your own definition, it doesn't have to be what the society or books tell you what you should want.
How would that life look like? What would you do? Where would you be? Who would you be with?

Now the goal is becoming the person that is living that life. What that person looks like, is entirely up to you to decide.

Kirsov

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 30, 2022
Germany
Personality isn't permanent is a crucial one. There's also Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Both encourage you to get to know yourself better and experience things to know what makes you tick.

The first recommendation has a lot of exercise I think you may find useful. Every single chapter has a follow up set of questions. An example of the exercise include write an autobiography, not of you, but of the person who is you that has accomplish all your dreams and desire. From writing, you will realize the process that might entail to become such a person. You may see what you must give up or what to adopt in order to get there.
This of course, is just one important exercise.
All in all, this book will bring more clarity towards who you want to become.

The second one is pretty important too, in the sense that you don't to have try to be something you're not. In this case if you're an introvert, you don't have to try and be an extrovert. The argument that the author push forward should show you why you should find the middle ground(your own path or what makes you perform well) than to follow someone you look up to. I particularly like this book quite a lot too because it is liberating to see and understand why it's not necessary to do things the right way. At the end of the day, Who says it's right? Perhaps there's a better way of doing things. Perhaps what I'm doing is working for me? Etc.
Put the books down, because this time the answer is within you.

Close your eyes and imagine the most wonderful life you can live. By your own definition, it doesn't have to be what the society or books tell you what you should want.
How would that life look like? What would you do? Where would you be? Who would you be with?

Now the goal is becoming the person that is living that life. What that person looks like, is entirely up to you to decide.
Thanks for helping me out. I am going to read "Personality isn't permanent" and I am going to do the "vision exercise" which heavy_industry recommended.

Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.