The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Planning My Future

TeaEarlGreyHot

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Well, I've been lurking for a few days, so I thought I might as well make an account. Guess I'll start with a brief background.

When I was 14 I got my first introduction to programming through making game mods. I learned the very basics of programming by reading all of the game scripts and cobbling together my own. At the time, I didn't even know it WAS coding. Moved and went to a different school. I joined the Computer Science academic competition team in it's first year offered. I learned that this whole time I had been doing basic programming, and I knew more about it than our teacher who was completely new to it. I taught our group a lot of concepts and ended up being top scorer but was cheated out of going to state because the older students got 'seniority'. I was really upset, but figured I will get there next year for sure. There was no next year.

At 15 I became disabled and eventually dropped out due to complications with that. My family also got internet for the first time! 5GB a month and it was pretty slow, but I spent all my bedridden days reading articles about development. I learned so much and was so much happier; I think of dropping out as the best thing that ever happened to me.

Anyway, fast forward a couple years and we get 10GB/month faster internet and I'm better managing my disability. I started contributing to open source and I'm helping my 2nd and 3rd year CS friends with their homework. Just this month we finally got unlimited internet! Last week I started a blog -- a technical blog, I do NOT want to get paid for blogging-- and the other day I bought $25 of stuff off ebay that I should be able to make 100% profit on.

So, my skills: Software development, obviously. I started with Java but Scala is my love (and I know more about it than Java by now) I can also pick up any OO language in a few days and know many functional concepts. I can also do web development, but I kind of hate it. Other things I can do come more from modding background and include some 3d modeling and animation, audio editing, texture modifying, and various other tools related to all that.

My plan: I'm not sure yet. These past few years I have been working towards getting a proper job as a software developer. I've always had dreams about being and entrepreneur and tons of other things, and I had some ideas, but they would actually require money and/or too much physical work. Mostly I just want to do something useful to people. If I get a job in a company doing development I will do everything I can to benefit that company and write the best code and probably do other things on the side.

I do have two ideas for a big project, however. One is an idea for a website that doesn't appear to exist that I would absolutely use if it did, but I don't know that anyone else would. Also, it not existing already is making me worried that it's not even legal. The other idea would help to solve a HUGE problem and is very dear to my heart. I'm pretty sure that this could work as it's based off of the framework of other things that are very successful. I actually ended up at this forum somehow while searching for information about starting nonprofits to make this happen.

Now, I know I've forgotten some things I wanted to say, but this is getting way too long. Questions and criticism welcomed! Hopefully this forum can get me on track to accomplishing something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

akTwelve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Personally I think it is a great idea for you to get a proper software development job for a couple years. I've learned a ton that I would have never learned on my own, in particular the persistence to grind through technical problems that feel unsurmountable at the beginning. Ideally you'd be coding alongside seasoned developers that will teach you and hold your code to a high standard. It is also a great way to earn money consistently, build up your safety net, and simultaneously work on a Fastlane side business. Others may feel differently though, so I'll be interested to hear their opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeaEarlGreyHot

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
It is also a great way to earn money consistently, build up your safety net, and simultaneously work on a Fastlane side business.

I rather agree. I have a lot of fears about looking for a job right now, though. Most are probably limiting beliefs, but my health is a real one(I think...). I had been doing much better for a few months and then took a dive. I seem to be getting better again but who knows when it will change. I'm worried that since I can't go into town for 5 hours without taking a few days recovering after, I won't be able to hold down a job. (and yes, I try to exercise 20 mins every day!)

In the meantime I'm thinking of what I can do now. As said above I'm getting started learning about selling and flipping. I thought of trying to do web development locally or start teaching a class at the library. Maybe participating in things like topcoder or google code jam etc. though I probably won't win anything, could make good experience. I want to start learning marketing and copy -- even if I don't end up using them it's a nice skill to have.

I really need to improve my people skills. I have such a hard time talking to strangers. I always feel like I'm just inconveniencing them and being a jerk!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...