The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Physician disenchanted with medicine

familydocPA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 9, 2020
Pennsylvania
Hello all - I'm a 34 year old physician 6 years into a career in medicine. While medicine at its heart can be a wonderful field, it has become so commodified that administrators and insurance companies are now mostly in control. I have been searching for "something" for a while, and got my MBA and read many business books (I have always been interested in business). However, it wasn't until I just read "Unscripted " that I felt educated on business and the economy in a way that makes sense. What an outstanding read -- it totally re-framed my mindset. MJ was able to articulate all of the things that I think I felt on a more subconscious level. Now I am re-examining my potential business ideas in the CENTS framework and eliminating some ideas (while adding others). I look forward to interacting with this group through the process.

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Welcome @familydocPA!

There are a few doctors and many others active on the forum that have felt the same push and shove that may be similar to what you feel right now.

Don't hesitate to reach out to anyone here, it's an incredible group!

josh_ting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Hello all - I'm a 34 year old physician 6 years into a career in medicine. While medicine at its heart can be a wonderful field, it has become so commodified that administrators and insurance companies are now mostly in control. I have been searching for "something" for a while, and got my MBA and read many business books (I have always been interested in business). However, it wasn't until I just read "Unscripted " that I felt educated on business and the economy in a way that makes sense. What an outstanding read -- it totally re-framed my mindset. MJ was able to articulate all of the things that I think I felt on a more subconscious level. Now I am re-examining my potential business ideas in the CENTS framework and eliminating some ideas (while adding others). I look forward to interacting with this group through the process.

Thanks for reading.
hey @familydocPA , that's some really interesting insight on the field of medicine. I'm starting medical school and I've more or less heard quite similar concerns from family friends who are doctors. I've also considered doing an MD/MBA, did you think your MBA was valuable?

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Medical Youtube channel ;)

@Verbatim - I admire your enthusiasm.
My best advice for you is: do you have any idea which field of medicine you want to get into?
I advise you to try and shadow a resident / attending in that field and get a REAL idea of what to expect when you're actually WORKING as a doctor.

The hours are extremely tough as well, so it's not purely an intellectual thing.

A lot of the time, enjoying studying is totally different from working in that field.
Which was the trap I fell into.

familydocPA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 9, 2020
Pennsylvania
hey @familydocPA , that's some really interesting insight on the field of medicine. I'm starting medical school and I've more or less heard quite similar concerns from family friends who are doctors. I've also considered doing an MD/MBA, did you think your MBA was valuable?

As of right now, the MBA has not really done anything for me. I would really advise against an MD/MBA unless you are planning on skipping residency to go right into business. Mine was almost free - my employer paid for it so I said why not. The stuff you learn in an MBA teaches you how to be a good employee in business, but very little about starting and running an actual business.

Medicine is an interesting field, and I definitely have found some satisfaction in it. But it is complicated. I don't regret my decision to become a doctor, but make sure you are 100% committed to it. It's a lot of time and money.

familydocPA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 9, 2020
Pennsylvania
As of right now, the MBA has not really done anything for me. I would really advise against an MD/MBA unless you are planning on skipping residency to go right into business. Mine was almost free - my employer paid for it so I said why not. The stuff you learn in an MBA teaches you how to be a good employee in business, but very little about starting and running an actual business.

Medicine is an interesting field, and I definitely have found some satisfaction in it. But it is complicated. I don't regret my decision to become a doctor, but make sure you are 100% committed to it. It's a lot of time and money.

I will add that I think the MBA would be useful if you are thinking about medical leadership positions (VPMA/CMO type stuff). I thought about it, but after exposure to leadership positions am no longer interested. It's a nice to have, but not essential for those jobs.

josh_ting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Medical Youtube channel ;)

@Verbatim - I admire your enthusiasm.
My best advice for you is: do you have any idea which field of medicine you want to get into?
I advise you to try and shadow a resident / attending in that field and get a REAL idea of what to expect when you're actually WORKING as a doctor.

The hours are extremely tough as well, so it's not purely an intellectual thing.

A lot of the time, enjoying studying is totally different from working in that field.
Which was the trap I fell into.

Hi @fastlanedoll , yeah I appreciate the advice. I've volunteered at a hospital on a weekly basis over the past year, but it's often hard to see what's going on with the doctors. Instead, I mainly interact with the nurses. So yeah, I will reach out to residents and attendings to get a better idea of their day.

I will add that I think the MBA would be useful if you are thinking about medical leadership positions (VPMA/CMO type stuff). I thought about it, but after exposure to leadership positions am no longer interested. It's a nice to have, but not essential for those jobs.

Hey @familydocPA, it's great to here your take on it. I thought of the MBA as a ticket to merge medicine and business (and like I guessed, it probs isn't), even in a leadership position, I'd still be an employee with a lot of management headaches.

I'm super early in the process, and I have a 3 months break coming up in a month before the next year starts. I really want to utilise this time to hone whatever skill will benefit along this journey. I thought about researching at an institute (but then again, I'll be doing plenty of research in my career). So then I thought about a job in sales to learn more about sales which will benefit me later down the track with business. Would you guys have any suggestions for what experiences to gain?

Thanks a lot!

Fairhill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Jun 7, 2018
You can always start a specialized clinic while focusing on building a strong brand for it, potensially turning it into a franchise down the road.

Welcome to the forums, best of luck!

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
You can always start a specialized clinic while focusing on building a strong brand for it, potensially turning it into a franchise down the road.

Welcome to the forums, best of luck!
Definetly. This is what Im doing.
Also you could open a vaccine clinic. It seems that Astra Zeenica is close to a covid vacine so when this is avaliable ro thw public, everyone want to get this vaccine and probably alot of other vaccines now that vaccines is in the news

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...