G
GuestUser4aMPs1
Guest
Hey all, just wanted to ask for some advice on hiring/scaling.
My business is a productized service (Progress Here).
What I can tell from other sources, where I'm at right now is where a lot of PServices hit a snag.
I'm basically facing a classic E-Myth problem here - solving a big pain point for people, but I'm the bottleneck to production.
Typically the work wasn't bad at the beginning, and it was easy to under-promise and over-deliver, and to really give the customer an outstanding experience. But now it's Tedious. Mechanical. Draining...and it's affecting my enthusiasm for providing said service.
I know it's time to hire, or at least bring on a part-time freelancer for production.
I've pre-sold enough orders this month to at least cover the cost and make a decent profit, based on the math (this client is also MRR, so if a hire works out, I can keep him/her for a while).
Where I'm hitting a snag is wondering if...
1: I should be more effective personally and document the process for maximum efficiency (widen the bottleneck)
2: Document basic processes and hire ASAP before I drive myself insane.
In other words, I believe there are improvements I can personally make to be more productive and handle a larger load.
But I'm at the risk of being crippled by an influx of orders - unable to do anything else.
(At the same time, there's a lingering thought that I can always push a little harder - But it's lead to some unhealthy habits lately)
On the other hand, I can put basic processes in place and work on more sales to handle an influx, at the risk of having to take time and capital fixing potential mistakes from a new hire.
I'm sure it's an easy question to answer, but does anyone have advice for making this transition?
This stage is just a bit overwhelming. Especially this morning, MJ's Chapter in UnScripted on the Productocracy really struck a chord.
That's when I realized I'd really rather spend more time selling, making customers happy, building relationships, etc...
I'm afraid if I don't get this hire thing figured out, this business is going to really shrivel up.
tl;dr - Not sure to hire until I personally become 100% effective in my habits, or if I should document processes and hire ASAP to save my skin. Both paths have inherent risks and uncertainties.
My business is a productized service (Progress Here).
What I can tell from other sources, where I'm at right now is where a lot of PServices hit a snag.
I'm basically facing a classic E-Myth problem here - solving a big pain point for people, but I'm the bottleneck to production.
Typically the work wasn't bad at the beginning, and it was easy to under-promise and over-deliver, and to really give the customer an outstanding experience. But now it's Tedious. Mechanical. Draining...and it's affecting my enthusiasm for providing said service.
I know it's time to hire, or at least bring on a part-time freelancer for production.
I've pre-sold enough orders this month to at least cover the cost and make a decent profit, based on the math (this client is also MRR, so if a hire works out, I can keep him/her for a while).
Where I'm hitting a snag is wondering if...
1: I should be more effective personally and document the process for maximum efficiency (widen the bottleneck)
2: Document basic processes and hire ASAP before I drive myself insane.
In other words, I believe there are improvements I can personally make to be more productive and handle a larger load.
But I'm at the risk of being crippled by an influx of orders - unable to do anything else.
(At the same time, there's a lingering thought that I can always push a little harder - But it's lead to some unhealthy habits lately)
On the other hand, I can put basic processes in place and work on more sales to handle an influx, at the risk of having to take time and capital fixing potential mistakes from a new hire.
I'm sure it's an easy question to answer, but does anyone have advice for making this transition?
This stage is just a bit overwhelming. Especially this morning, MJ's Chapter in UnScripted on the Productocracy really struck a chord.
That's when I realized I'd really rather spend more time selling, making customers happy, building relationships, etc...
I'm afraid if I don't get this hire thing figured out, this business is going to really shrivel up.
tl;dr - Not sure to hire until I personally become 100% effective in my habits, or if I should document processes and hire ASAP to save my skin. Both paths have inherent risks and uncertainties.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
