The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"People aren't buying it because of the gym"

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Like @Vigilante said, this house is for the kind of people that have F-you money. People that have that kind of money typically have other people that are paid to look after their things.

Example: A buddy of mine that made a mint building telecom in Mexico tells me while we're sitting at the bar that he's pissed off because his house is a mess. He had no idea that work was being done on his house. His assistant takes care of his home, cars, etc, and she mistakenly scheduled the workers for a time she thought he'd be out of the country.

That's F-you money.

There's no doubt about it, but it's a whole gym full of gymnastics stuff haha! It's not your usual rich people maintenance like pools, tennis courts, gym (weights, cardio) etc. It's a big F*cken' commercial gymnasium.

But even some people with FYM don't mind getting their hands dirty - some people were brought up through hard manual labor, got successful and stayed true to their roots.

Anyway, we're heading off track.

BIG F*ck OFF HOUSE PARTY!!! - Hosted by @Vigilante

I'll bring the dip.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I wonder if some of the reason people don't want the gym is the bill that would be associated with cooling that behemoth during July and August in Tampa. Again, requires F*ck you money.

Honestly my first thought reading your OP was:

If this guy is having a hard time selling it, because of the gym, then if I owned it I'd have a hard time selling it later too.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Honestly my first thought reading your OP was:

If this guy is having a hard time selling it, because of the gym, then if I owned it I'd have a hard time selling it later too.

And that's why value players aren't buying it... you're not going to "flip" this.

However, if you bought it and sat on it for a year undoubtedly you could make money. Just a question of how much.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
My wife and I stopped by an open house yesterday in a somewhat exclusive part of Tampa. After talking the guard at the gate into letting us in, we then drove around the neighborhood and stumbled upon an open house of a mini-mansion.

We're in the market now to buy a place in Tampa and working on unloading our house in Minnesota. Dealing with really wanting to decide if we want a mortgage, want a dream home, or want a house with a 20 year roof on it.

So we walked into this house, not expecting that the house was well beyond the level of F*ck YOU. It was incredible. It was the type of home you would never want to leave. It was the type of home most people will never see the inside of.

As we ambled through the several thousand square feet, looking at all of the coolest design shit you would ever want to see and praying that my daughter didn't decide to randomly break some Ming vase, we came upon the gym.

"This is the reason nobody is buying this house" the listing agent said. "The owner has over a million dollars into just this part of the house, and he's not even trying to get his money back for that. He built it for his grandkids, but they're grown now and he and his wife don't need this."

The double doors open into a fully commercial gymnasium. Half court, spring floor, amazing. The type of amenity that you would picture Shaq or Michael Jordan having in their home, complete with the commercial A/C system and literally one of the nicest gyms you could ever play in.

My youngest immediately goes over to the basketball rack and grabs a ball. That's why they are there.

And the owner? Doesn't care how much he spent on that. Between the gym, with the adjacent workout room and bar/billiards area, he's into just that small wing for over a million that is NOT INCLUDED in his asking price. His asking price doesn't value that wing, because they think nobody wants it. And he's right so far. The people that have looked at it are not buying it because of that.

Money. Seems like everyone has it but you. But me. Yet... look in your town. There are dozens - and dozens of million dollar real estate listings. So someone has the money.

While you settle. While a day turns into a week turns into a month turns into a year. While you settle.

My wife and I are doing pretty well. However, when I left this incredible house, I intended to double down. Not in pursuit of the cash, or in pursuit of the house (we're NOT buying it... yet). In pursuit of the mountain top.

See, other people have climbed this mountain before you and I did. Many of them left maps and instructions. Many people, like this guy... planted their own F*cking flag at the summit. The flag might wave on their boat, or at their McMansion. For some of them, you will never see the flag they planted because it is not wrapped around a physical piece of property. For some of them, their mountain was freedom. Their flag might be in their bank account, or on their endless vacation, or just outside of the office they left and never looked over their shoulder at.

And you settle. And I settle.

Walking into that house was the best thing that has happened to me in a while. It stirred the kick in the a$$ that my contentment needed.

Tell yourself life is stacked against you. Tell yourself you're stuck with your mortgage, your credit card debt, and your life. Tell yourself you'll never find the fast lane. And you'll be right.

A F*cking million dollar gym, in his house, for his grandkids. Because he can. He has F*ck YOU money.

When I went to search for the listing for this house to post you some pictures, I stumbled across several houses with similar amenities. Apparently this eccentric grandfather isn't the only one with F*ck YOU money in this town.

Or your town.

Go back to your video game now. As for me, I am buying some mountain climbing gear.

I'll be moving in at the end of July. Save a room for me.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And that's why value players aren't buying it... you're not going to "flip" this.

However, if you bought it and sat on it for a year undoubtedly you could make money. Just a question of how much.

Can you post a link to the listing online?

When I was younger I always thought that my dream house would have an indoor basketball full court. I still want one, but the desire to spend that kind of money on building one isn't there anymore. But, if someone plopped one down on to my side lot at my house for free, I wouldn't mind. :)

The odd thing is that my first house had room dedicated to the gym. I also had Webvan that brought me groceries. During those times when I worked 9 to 5, time was the scarce resource so I did many things at home. Now, it's the opposite for me, so I go to the grocery store 2x a week. I'd go to LA fitness to workout just so I'd be getting out of the house. I go play basketball at the park or gym. My desire to have things at home have shifted to having nothing at home and going places to get things done.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Can you post a link to the listing online?

When I was younger I always thought that my dream house would have an indoor basketball full court. I still want one, but the desire to spend that kind of money on building one isn't there anymore. But, if someone plopped one down on to my side lot at my house for free, I wouldn't mind. :)

The odd thing is that my first house had room dedicated to the gym. I also had Webvan that brought me groceries. During those times when I worked 9 to 5, time was the scarce resource so I did many things at home. Now, it's the opposite for me, so I go to the grocery store 2x a week. I'd go to LA fitness to workout just so I'd be getting out of the house. I go play basketball at the park or gym. My desire to have things at home have shifted to having nothing at home and going places to get things done.

I sent you the link.

Here's the photo of the gym.

22.jpg

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I sent you the link.

Here's the photo of the gym.

22.jpg

Oh man, I gotta get me one.

I can just see myself draining a 3 over @biophase 's outstretch hand. Sahwoooosh! (But only after I stole the ball from @AllenCrawley 's failed cross over move.) :rofl:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This sits just outside of the gym, and was counted in the $1m addition. Not pictured is the built in media center in front of that couch. You can see the gym in the background.
20.jpg

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
You know got money when not only you do you own a mega millions mansion but you also start adding huge extras that actually take away from the ability to resell. If I had that kind of money I would do the exact same thing. Probably a boxing ring instead though and a waterslide (obviously separate haha).

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Probably a boxing ring instead though and a waterslide (obviously separate haha).

You can run the water slide from your house to your pool, like this!

5707749f6e99563b751848ab70c8c157.jpg

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Houses like that really don't appeal to me. I'd never use 90% of it. I'd rather live in a pokey 1 bed appartment in some incredible location which draws me out of the house everyday.

It sure is a great reminder that $1m isn't a lot of money though. Must try harder.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Thanks for the reminder, @Vigilante. I don't really need a mansion or anything like that, but it's good to hear the message that one shouldn't stay complacent - which is very hard to overcome once you reach a certain level and making more money doesn't really change much in your lifestyle. I'm still trying to figure out how to stay hungry.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018