The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

peanut butter business

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
I know peanut butter is a staple in the USA diet and I personally love it. The problem is everytime I want to eat it I have to home made it using a food processor.

The point is, here in Brazil we don't have peanut butter.

Now this can lead to two ways of thinking:

1) Brazil doesn't have peanut butter manufacturer, so LET'S do it.
2) Brazil doesn't have peanut butter manufacturer, so no one want it.

What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SHHDlove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Hmm... does anyone else in Brazil want Peanut Butter? I mean, in the States we love Peanut Butter, but it's apart our culture. Is there any foods in Brazil that is like Peanut Butter, or fills that 'lunch-time' void?

Calgary

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 28, 2011
Have you ever considered the thought that there is no manufacturer because Brazilians aren't aware of Peanut Butter? I've met people in the Philippines who have no idea what Ice Cream was and needless to say, they were impressed by it when I treated them to one.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
that's what I'm talking about. It's not part of our culture and maybe here's a huge potential market. I'll make a research on how can I open a "home-made" natural product manufacture and see how it goes... maybe set up an website and give the address for a few friends...

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Make some and hand it out like a Costco would, to see their reaction. Maybe the just need to know it exists.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
that's a great advice.
Right now my problem is how to package it...

Calgary

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 28, 2011
Contact some manufacturers and ask for a quote.
Buy some peanut butter in the meantime and give them out for free and let the people try it out.
If you receive positive feedback, you know that there may be a demand for the product.
From my experience of Brazil, many people eat Feijoada which a peanut butter doesn't really compliment in the dish. You may set a trend over there with the peanut butter buzz but for an everyday grocery shopper, peanut butter is last on my list (that's also because I never eat it).

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
feijoada is not regular (every-day food)... I can't remeber the last time I ate it (maybe one year ago) :)

but thanks for the good advice.

ice

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 27, 2011
Chicago suburb
Hi fellipe,

I was thinking about a food business (nuts)... but they make people fat.

I can't support a business that contributes to obesity so much.

Maybe Brazil doesn't have an obesity problem like the United States, but I really don't think the nut business is that healthy. (If you look at calories in nuts they are over 50% fat)

Ska2free

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 15, 2011
CA
Hi fellipe,

Maybe Brazil doesn't have an obesity problem like the United States, but I really don't think the nut business is that healthy. (If you look at calories in nuts they are over 50% fat)

Nuts don't make people fat...people eating too many twinkles, big macs, and 64oz sodas makes people fat.

Nuts are a healthy natural food.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

LOL Peanut butter is actually really good for you as long as it's not processed and you buy the "all natural" kind. It is loaded with healthy fats which we need for a balanced diet. Before you get into the food business, maybe you should learn about nutrition.

Nuts are not what contribute to the obesity problem in the US at all. Listen to Ska2. It's all the junk that Americans eat.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Maybe you can become a reseller for a company here in the US. Here is a list of companies you could try and work with. American Peanut Council

Here in the US we make sandwiches using Peanut butter with things like Jelly or jams, banana's, and a product called fluff. Good luck.

Limitless

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 19, 2011
Hi fellipe,

If you read "The Primal Blue Print" you will have a better understanding of what really makes people fat.

Limitless

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 19, 2011
Fellipe,

If you can't make a good quantity to test the waters then import some and see how well you can sell it down there.

jbuckingham

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 18, 2011
CA
I bet they make home made jam in Brazil or other products that use "Mason" jars. Make up some batches like mentioned and package them using the mason jars. What are you waiting for? You've got a kitchen start there and sell it to your neighborhood.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
Hi fellipe,

Actually as others have said, dietary fat has nothing to do with being fat (the 'problem' is excess calories). I'm afraid you're not the only to confuse that and that can ruin my business.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
About 2.99-3.99. I'm sure it's probably pretty cheap to make a large batch. All you need is some jars and make up a funky label and a catchy name. Go for it!

I'm really surprised that they don't have Peanut Butter over there? Are you in a major city?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
how much in average you guys pay for a jar?

It also depends on where you shop. A jar of natural PB that is not on sale may be in the $4-6 range. You may be able to offer 2-3 sizes in order to hit different price points.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
About 2.99-3.99. I'm sure it's probably pretty cheap to make a large batch. All you need is some jars and make up a funky label and a catchy name. Go for it!

I'm really surprised that they don't have Peanut Butter over there? Are you in a major city?

I'm in Sao Paulo (the biggest city here) and we don't have peanut butter, not only here.
About the name I'm thinking of something really "personal" like "grandma mary - homemade peanut butter"

Mr.Marnier

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 3, 2011
I'm in Sao Paulo (the biggest city here) and we don't have peanut butter, not only here.
About the name I'm thinking of something really "personal" like "grandma mary - homemade peanut butter"

Or something catchy like "Peanutty Butty"

SHHDlove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I think there is probably someone in a country much like Brazil that has introduced products similar to yours. The reason I'm saying this is because there are probably hundreds of case studies out there, showing how people did what you're trying to do. In the US, there was a woman who opened a chain of beauty stores called "The Body Shop". That was a ground one operation. She used the little bottle people use to give urine samples to package her product. It ended up being a huge company that has done a lot of good.

If I were you, I would read the Harvard School Case Study. It'll explain exactly what she did:

Body Shop International - Harvard Business Review

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Something to consider: you don't have to use peanuts. In some stores in the US you can buy other nut butters, like almond butter. If peanuts aren't popular or easily available there, how about other nuts? What nuts do people like to eat there? Maybe castanhas-do-Pará, which we in the US call "Brazil nuts" ?

You might be able to create a new market there by testing different nut butters and finding out what people like.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
actually peanut is really common here and very easy to find. I really don't know why we can't find peanut butter here..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.