The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Passenger vs Driver, Part II

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just read this article via Website Magazine which closely reflects my "Passenger vs Driver" concept.

Membership has its Rewards, Ownership Offers Riches
As you have probably discovered in your career as a Web professional, it is uncommon to achieve genuine success (let’s define it as wealth and/or notoriety) by building a website or service that essentially mimics, is identical in nature, or that ultimately supports or is reliant on another business entirely. We have all seen “clone†websites launch to much fanfare, only to ultimately fade away once users realize there is no significant improvement upon the original. Simply put, there is more value in owning a technology than leveraging someone else’s solution. This is where many of us fall short in the pursuit of success.

http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/posts/pages/website-house-of-cards-commentary.aspx

Great read!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Great read and for those who actually read the whole thing and like the article and have a website, remember to post a comment! :smug2:

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Great read. Playing devil's advocate there is something said about not re-inventing the wheel. When you see a successful model why not duplicate and then add your own legacy to it. A brand new technology definitely brings riches but bringing a new concept to a current technology can get you a long way. Great article. Thanks for sharing.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
The risk-reward equation comes to play in here...

More risk risk == higher chances of failure == higher chances of huge success.

I see the 'inventing a new model' as higher risk.

The lower risk means better chances of doing OK, but at the same time, less chances of making it big time.

This reminds me of a presentation I saw once about franchises. You are buying a 'proven' system that has already defined how much you can make, and making up to that much has a set cost. There are limitations and restrictions to what you can do, but there should be a safety net to avoid a complete failure as well.

Different models for different people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
I agree with the central thesis of this article, wholeheartedly.

I just spent months attempting to "bird dog" -- locate property for real estate investors based on their buying criteria. I have tons of acquired knowledge but no cash to show for my efforts. My people were either out bid or decided to change their purchase criteria mid-stream.

It all added up to me being a passenger on someone else's train because no matter how many 12-15 hour days I spent building relationships with listing brokers, viewing properties and crunching numbers, my control over the process ended as soon as the qualified property lead was handed over. My so-called "business model" -- upon reflection, hardly a business model;a job is more like it -- was based on the successful execution of someone else's business model. Never a good place to be, especially in this economy.

I just cleared a scary 4 month rough patch in my life. I am going to temporarily chauffeur for a wealthy family in order to stockpile some capital so I can test some direct marketing ideas I have. No more riding. I want to drive my own vehicle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.