The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Out of a Funk - a Newbie's Journey In Self Publishing

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Arghhhhhhhh I hate the editing part. However, that said I learned a harsh lesson on my first book where my zeal to get it done revealed enough editing issues that I will be much slower on the uptake this time.

I have redone the cover of my first book to match the feel of my second. I had this one done by a professional on fivver and I have to say I am really happy with it and my second book cover for the price, about $25, he fixed my first one for $5. I'll be using him again and again. I've sold a book or so a month on my first book, I got my royalty tax info from Amazon and I made a whopping $164...hahahahahahaha. So anyway, it may have covered my expenses, no profits here yet. I hope, the second book is more popular, I believe it is better written. I hope the second book boosts some sales on my first book.

I also have hired a ghost writer to collaborate with to see if I can get shome short stories out...and get more happening a little faster. My second book is now 90,000 words. During the edit, I am correcing story lines etc., so it appears it will be longer than I though. Anyhoo....still banging away at it. I'll let you know how the ghost writer thing goes. I went to odesk and didn't get a lot of hits mainly because I wasn't offering a whole lot to start. I don't know if they can really write....but who am I to judge. Anyway, I am hoping the person I found will be someone I can work with long term. He seemed excited and willing to try. He is working on 10,000 word short story..I guess that is what it is or is it a Novella? I don't know. Anyway we'll see what happens.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
That would be considered a short story, perhaps a short novelette. I like your new cover, and hope it makes some rejuvenated sales for you. Wish I'd received my 1099 from Amazon yet...had an email a corrected one was sent out on the 13th, but it hasn't yet appeared in my mailbox. Had to take my info to my CPA without it.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
The Invited
A Paranormal Mystery, Volume II...done...95,500 words. I feel this book is quite a bit better than my first. I hope with each story, Novella, Novel...whatever, that I write that I get exponentially better. What would really be great is if I made some significant money off this volume...still a long shot I know but I am hopeful. My first volume is still selling a book every month or so. Maybe when I publish this one it will boostthe sales of volume I. I broke even on Book 1.

I feel I should maybe move into a different more popular genre but....just not sure I can pull it off. I hope to publish in the next 4 weeks. It's at the editor now. I had one beta reader who liked it. If anyone else is intersted let me know. I want to get better.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.