The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Options trading questions

Anything related to investing, including crypto

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Does anyone have a favorite Youtube channel/educational route that I can look into to walk me through buying options to protect my stock purchases? I would think that with the right options plays, it could help reduce the amount of risk that I am taking. I have played around with ThinkOrSwim, but I am not comfortable throwing money at things that I don't fully/mostly understand.

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been trading daily for nearly ten years. Some good resources:

Martzee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 6, 2020
Denver, Colorado, United States
Does anyone have a favorite Youtube channel/educational route that I can look into to walk me through buying options to protect my stock purchases? I would think that with the right options plays, it could help reduce the amount of risk that I am taking. I have played around with ThinkOrSwim, but I am not comfortable throwing money at things that I don't fully/mostly understand.

Thanks in advance.
I can help you with that.

The best way to protect your stock gains is to sell the stock and buy an equivalent amount of LEAPS calls. In that way, you cash out the profits but keep participating in any future growth. Once you have the LEAPS you can start selling covered calls against it to lower the cost basis and further protect your position.

But be aware, there might be tax consequences for doing this.

Also, if you are collecting any dividends, with this move you will not be receiving the dividends.

If you want to retain the stock position but monetize it, then the best would be to use the wheel strategy.

Last edited:

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California

Thanks in advance.
I used option alpha then I moved onto my brokerage company. TD Ameritrade has great EDU content. Then I started networking online and connected with a great trader in canada. Between TD ameritrade and that group, I get about 80% of my edu. The biggest thing to master is your trading psychology. You can be the smartest guy trading but if you dont have discipline you will blow up your account.

I recommend Option Alpha and a reputable broker for EDU... You MUST STAY AWAY FROM most FB groups, you will find yourself gambling and keeping up with others.

You have ToS? Papertrade!! Backtest!! TD has great tools

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
You can be the smartest guy trading but if you dont have discipline you will blow up your account.
This is something I'm well aware of. I realized this.....being that I lost 12k effing around with crypto. I'm not looking for sexy. Just want to start out making a little money and go UP from there, instead of the other way around.

Thanks for the tips.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.