The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

opinions needed

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think its nice ... but not built for conversion.

1) Switch the content -- benefits on the left side, not in the main content area. The main content area should have the TWO BIG PROMOS that now appear on the left side.

Get 5% Now if you book before [enter date]
BOOK NOW!
Spaces are limited!

2) Your menu bar is too light. I almost missed it.

3) No benefits (WIIFM - What's In It For Me?) Build your website content around BENEFITS.

Sample Benefit: Tired of installing Christmas Lights?
Let us do it!
Book before [date] and get 10% Off!

Sample Benefit: How much time are you wasting installing Xmas lights?

My $199.95 consulting fee is heading your way.:smx1:

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
I agree with PHXMJ and would add...

What if I have my own lights? Do you work with those?

You mention checking cords, lights, etc before you pack them away...if I am the consumer and they are your lights, equip, etc...why do I care about this?

Where are your testimonials? You say that you have done this before ...can anyone provide a reference...even if just on the web site...For example:

The Austin Light Guys turned my house into a
Magical Christmas Wonderland!!!
-- Wilford Brimley

Thanks to Austin Light Guys Christmas is special again!!
-- Muammar Kadafi

Our house is the envy of the neighborhood thanks to Austin Light Guys!!
--- Amelia Airhart

Money is important to me.
Austin Light Guys rates can't be beat!!
--- Michael Milkin​

...are you insured? What happens if you break a window with your equipment? If you slip while on my property? ..and so on. As a homeowner considering you, I'd want to know this.

...How is it decided what lights go where on the house?

..What if I want to have an animated Santa and his damn reindeer put up ...will you do that too or is it just lights?

Also....get people in the spirit by embedding some hokey Christmas music that will play when the site loads....like the pages on MySpace. People love that kind of stuff...

..what about Christmas trees inside? Or lights inside? Do those too?...chance for an upsell or two at a higher rate.

..just some random thoughts as I went thru it...if you have that info there, it was not apparent to me...and as a consumer if I don't see it right away...I'm not going to hunt for it.​

Last edited:

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I will give my 2 cents...

1. Links..menu bar...needs to show up better. Like MJ said, almost missed it!

2. Ask yourself what the goal of the site is? I am assuming to get leads for your business!

"submit quote request" needs to be incorporated within the text and displayed in a better position so that people can find it when they decide...I want more information.

ex. Too cold outside for you? Let us install!
"submit quote request"

I like the overall look of the site though. Just tweak a few things as you go along. You have some great advice above to sort through. Get friends and family to review it....they will point out what they like and dislike as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks for the input everybody, it was very helpful, and I definanetely be up late tonite making some changes.

What is a troll? I don't think I am one. I registered for this site a few weeks ago after hearing about it on lambopower.

to Taipan:

We did the same service last year, so our product is pretty well defined already. We do not offer indoor tree lighting because most people want to do that with their familiy. A lot of the houses we did last year were two or three stories tall; thats why they hire us. Maybe 5% of our customer's wanted to use their own lighting.

Is music on webpages more acceptable now? When I first started webdesign, I was taught animated gifs, flash loading screens, and background music were a BIG NO NO. Has that changed since broadband is becoming more prevelant?

To PHX:

IThanks for the suggestions about content. I am a webdesigner, not a salesman, so this is kind of new to me. I am thinking about incorporating the specials as text in the house picture. Do you think a flash animation is a good idea? Maybe cute little animanted santa saying something.....?

You will have to send your invoice to my accountant in Nigeria, and he will take care of it for you.....

;)

Thanks everybody,
ben

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
Thanks for the input everybody, it was very helpful, and I definanetely be up late tonite making some changes.

What is a troll? I don't think I am one. I registered for this site a few weeks ago after hearing about it on lambopower.

to Taipan:

We did the same service last year, so our product is pretty well defined already. We do not offer indoor tree lighting because most people want to do that with their familiy. A lot of the houses we did last year were two or three stories tall; thats why they hire us. Maybe 5% of our customer's wanted to use their own lighting.

Is music on webpages more acceptable now? When I first started webdesign, I was taught animated gifs, flash loading screens, and background music were a BIG NO NO. Has that changed since broadband is becoming more prevelant?

To PHX:

IThanks for the suggestions about content. I am a webdesigner, not a salesman, so this is kind of new to me. I am thinking about incorporating the specials as text in the house picture. Do you think a flash animation is a good idea? Maybe cute little animanted santa saying something.....?

You will have to send your invoice to my accountant in Nigeria, and he will take care of it for you.....

;)

Thanks everybody,
ben
Ben.

Sounds good..disregard the troll reference...perhaps I am being to paranoid tonight, my apologies...I'll edit my post accordingly as soon as I am done here.

Long as you are happy with your market and what you know about it, that is all that matters...I was merely trying to get you to look at associated services that could be offered...like the $30 warranty when you by the $89 color printer.

I think most people have broadband now....and I see it used alot in sites that the mjor advertisers have....so I am basing it on that...if you do add music, make sure you have a mute button too....

..also just thought of this...any possibility for a co-marketing with someone....another Christmas related venture....trees, christmas stores, etc...with a realtively short selling season, getting all the exposure you can would not hurt.

How about moving into other seasons....and doing "party lights" for them...Halloween...summer parties, easter parties, etc...working with a party catering company to have them sub the lighting out to you....

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

to Taipan:

To PHX:

;)

Thanks everybody,
ben

DEFINEATLY no sound playing, that is the epitomy of unprofessionalism. If I were you I would also register the .net and .org names, just helps with search engines, and no one can emulate it.

Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
Ben,

If Tom, who is in the web business, advises against sound...I would think that would carry weight in the decision (and more than my 2 cents..LOL)

While I was basing my suggestions on what I have recently seen on web pages that I've visited and/or that have caught my eye....I'll concede that what I think is good or ok in web design might not be considered a "best practice".....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.