The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opinion on this network marketing opportunity?

Marketing, social media, advertising

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So, I am not the type to chase money anymore but recently something came up. I met an old friend who I haven't seen in a while he was talking about making money through these referral programs and he introduced me to somebody who does the same thing apparently. Though I always getting this uncomfortable feeling, not sure if it's because I am stepping outside my comfort zone or if because it's just not right.

Just was curious on other peoples experience in this?

Worth mentioning, I was reading some forum posts here (can't find it now) and it was talking about how these people mention how open minded you are and stuff like that and just too positive imo. Just feels like they are saying this stuff to slowly convince you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
What do you mean by referral programs?

So, I am not the type to chase money anymore but....

So now you are going to chase money. The BUT says it all. It really is not worth chasing after that rabbit again. Personally I wouldn't entertain referral programs or MLM etc.. If you are desperate for money there are way better hustles than stuff like this.

Spend your time building something of your own, something worthwhile that you can profit from, scale, and sell on at a later date if you so choose. That will give you so much better mileage.

If you need money in the meantime hustle or get a job to sustain you.

JG17

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Oct 22, 2018
London, UK
If you are earning money solely from referral programs/MLMs you are effectively an employee without the security of a guaranteed salary. @RazorCut has given great advice, building something of your own is the best use of your time, rather than promoting something of someone else's. If you're truly not chasing the money this would likely pay off more $ long term.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
What do you mean by referral programs?

So now you are going to chase money. The BUT says it all. It really is not worth chasing after that rabbit again. Personally I wouldn't entertain referral programs or MLM etc.. If you are desperate for money there are way better hustles than stuff like this.

Spend your time building something of your own, something worthwhile that you can profit from, scale, and sell on at a later date if you so choose. That will give you so much better mileage.

If you need money in the meantime hustle or get a job to sustain you.

Hey razor. So basically how it works is you get others to sign up for these programs and u make a commison of it. its apprently a do it at your own pace type of thing. I was curious on opinions if people who have had the same thing happened to them and it turned out to be a scam.

There is this dilemma that i have i guess is why i made the thread. making a value providing business is number 1 priority. This was supposed to be on the side more. i already got 2 jobs. I heard someone say "if u have an opportunity to make money then do it" leaves me thinking. Is it just a distraction?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
If you are earning money solely from referral programs/MLMs you are effectively an employee without the security of a guaranteed salary. @RazorCut has given great advice, building something of your own is the best use of your time, rather than promoting something of someone else's. If you're truly not chasing the money this would likely pay off more $ long term.
I see was just more of a side idea but i got 2 jobs. Guess the idea was if i can make money on the side why not? But same time i think its just chasing short term money.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
For the low low price of $199 you too can nuke all your past interpersonal relationships on the hope and prayer of making "residual income".

It's not really worth your time. Most folks don't even make back their initial buy in for the "opportunity" to sell the scam, er.. product, to their friends and family.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
For the low low price of $199 you too can nuke all your past interpersonal relationships on the hope and prayer of making "residual income".

This is exactly what I was going to point out. Don't use your friends and family as a commodity to make money. It's not worth it. They sell it as a soft approach that hurts no-one but it does if the people around you feel emotionally obliged to part with money. You might not notice but it will fuel resentment.

Also looking at it from a cold business perspective; those friends and family are a limited resource with limited earning potential.

If you want to make money from referral schemes then sign up to Clickbank and learn affiliate marketing. Way more scalable and the effort you make to learn the craft will pay dividends throughout your entrepreneurial life as you will be able to sell practically anything profitably.

I know MJ is not a fan of affiliate marketing. For one thing is fails the commandment of control as a profitable offer can end or they can change the terms to make it less attractive. However selling on Amazon which many here do fails too so I don't see the difference.

However be warned it costs both time and money to learn the craft as you will need to test ad's and copy until you turn a profit. You can't test in a mock situation so have to buy real traffic which is not cheap these days.

Having said all that if you are working on your fastlane business I'd minimise as many distractions as I could so you can just concentrate on that one single prize.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
This is exactly what I was going to point out. Don't use your friends and family as a commodity to make money. It's not worth it. They sell it as a soft approach that hurts no-one but it does if the people around you feel emotionally obliged to part with money. You might not notice but it will fuel resentment.

Also looking at it from a cold business perspective; those friends and family are a limited resource with limited earning potential.

If you want to make money from referral schemes then sign up to Clickbank and learn affiliate marketing. Way more scalable and the effort you make to learn the craft will pay dividends throughout your entrepreneurial life as you will be able to sell practically anything profitably.

I know MJ is not a fan of affiliate marketing. For one thing is fails the commandment of control as a profitable offer can end or they can change the terms to make it less attractive. However selling on Amazon which many here do fails too so I don't see the difference.

However be warned it costs both time and money to learn the craft as you will need to test ad's and copy until you turn a profit. You can't test in a mock situation so have to buy real traffic which is not cheap these days.

Having said all that if you are working on your fastlane business I'd minimise as many distractions as I could so you can just concentrate on that one single prize.
Very interesting. In your opinion do you think these "old friends" are trying to scam you? Or they are just trying to get a commission off you?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Very interesting. In your opinion do you think these "old friends" are trying to scam you? Or they are just trying to get a commission off you?

I would think they must be desperate for money and possibly conned into thinking they are building a worth while business. I might make a purchase if I I feel sorry enough for them but I'll make a mental note to distance myself from them in the future.

Nobody likes to think a friendship is based on a one way extraction process. It's why so many friendships fail when one side become rich or famous. When there becomes a significant bias in the relationship when no bias was there in the first place it truly tests a friendship.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I would think they must be desperate for money and possibly conned into thinking they are building a worth while business. I might make a purchase if I I feel sorry enough for them but I'll make a mental note to distance myself from them in the future.

Nobody likes to think a friendship is based on a one way extraction process. It's why so many friendships fail when one side become rich or famous. When there becomes a significant bias in the relationship when no bias was there in the first place it truly tests a friendship.
Interesting. They did say they were long it for long-term but might even be viable long term. I can't tell if though I feel uncomfortable because it's possible a scam or if it's out of my comfort zone lol.

harry wilson

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Jun 2, 2016
No No No please no!

Let me guess, you asked them if its a pyramid scheme and they said, "well coca cola is a pyramid scheme also because the CEO makes more than vp than manager etc"

It is a pyramid scheme, heres the straight no bs answer, unless you are a mum or a bus driver with no intelligence or real motivation to do anything for yourself, stay clear.

They were nice because their goal is to recruit people to do the same thing they are doing, and any money that is made by your effort, around 50% or more is spread between various layers above you. It is not a business, you can never sell your position in that company for money because its worthless.

But, there are people out there that I would tell to do this, people that dont have any urgent need for money, that have no real chances of finding wealth so eh, whats the worst that could happen, they have to go back to being a full time mum? Instead of a part mum part MLMer?

And yes I have been in an MLM before and hated every second of it, mostly the part where I convinced people to join who otherwise where set up to get into great careers, but didnt have the streetsmarts to see through it all.

If you read the 48 laws of power, the law about how to make a cult is pretty much what they are doing to you. Every question you have, they will have a clever answer to. Every thing thats a bad aspect of their business, they have a way to tell you why really if you think about it, thats what we do is so good!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey guys what do you think of this ice-pick I'm going to jam in my eye? This particular ice pick is made of a platinum with gold accents.

Do we really need to answer? :smuggy:

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Focus on a real business. What happened to the last venture where you were trying to solve problems for people via your mail out? The approach wasn't quite right but at least it was working toward something real. Stick with something long enough to make something happen. Jumping from idea to idea to idea to opportunity to opportunity is money chasing 101, you don't want or need the MLM path.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
So, I am not the type to chase money anymore but recently something came up. I met an old friend who I haven't seen in a while he was talking about making money through these referral programs and he introduced me to somebody who does the same thing apparently. Though I always getting this uncomfortable feeling, not sure if it's because I am stepping outside my comfort zone or if because it's just not right.

Just was curious on other peoples experience in this?

Worth mentioning, I was reading some forum posts here (can't find it now) and it was talking about how these people mention how open minded you are and stuff like that and just too positive imo. Just feels like they are saying this stuff to slowly convince you?

Sounds like an experience I had with a multi level marketer.

Thought I was going for a business chat. Wanted to get to know more about me and said I earned being introduced to his 'mentor.' Eventually after three meetings, I found myself in a room with this guy and his mentor and several other people they had been chatting with and they started talking about selling Amway products, part of the World Wide Dream Builders group (multi level marketers who help other multi level marketers). It was a long winded sales program to get me into MLM. Could be the same with you.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hmmm, how exactly did you happen to meet up with him. Did you contact you out of the blue?

Because this is exactly how you will be "marketing" your new business!
It was actually by accident just saw him one day.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Sounds like an experience I had with a multi level marketer.

Thought I was going for a business chat. Wanted to get to know more about me and said I earned being introduced to his 'mentor.' Eventually after three meetings, I found myself in a room with this guy and his mentor and several other people they had been chatting with and they started talking about selling Amway products, part of the World Wide Dream Builders group (multi level marketers who help other multi level marketers). It was a long winded sales program to get me into MLM. Could be the same with you.
HOLY SHIT, this is the EXACT same thing that happened to me!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.