The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One thing all successful entrepreneurs seem to have in common

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I have plenty of friends and acquaintances who are very successful entrepreneurs and business owners as well as many other self-made millionaires that seem to have a very specific trait in common. At least 90% of them seem to be able to "see themselves" and their current place in Reality. I've noticed that what seems to be at the forefront of their minds is a strong sense of self-honesty and an uncanny ability to put their emotions and impulses in check and assess their present condition and experience as objectively as possible. They take responsibility for what seems like literally everything they experience in life.

Have any of you noticed this trait in self-made millionaires? If not, what have you noticed in their general characters and dispositions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
this is ironic because each successful guy dit it his own way and the door to success was closed behind him. we can't do it the same way.

whereas most books on success say the same things : be determined , do this , do that .

but this is not what successful guys have done

ask MJ DeMarco : he hasn't followed any Brian Tracy or Tony Robbins's positive thinking stuff .

millions of people follow " success methods " but the real successful guys do things their own way

how ironic

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
It sounds like you're referring to Self Awareness and one's personal ownership of their situation. Being able to zoom out and see the bigger picture. Is this what you mean?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
It sounds like you're referring to Self Awareness and one's personal ownership of their situation. Being able to zoom out and see the bigger picture. Is this what you mean?

It goes a step further.

Take a look at everything in the world. You're responsible for all of it. You could have and you still do, have the power to influence it all. You create your own world. Your own bubble.

From those that claim to have swallowed the red pill. I've found very few can even begin fathom this one.

It's easy to understand from a logical perspective. But internalizing it is a different story.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Nah, as every "rule of success" this too is bullshit.

I know self-made millionaires who couldn't recognize themselves in a mirror out of sheer lack of self-awareness.

Yes, yes, everything is your fault.
Yes, yes, self-awareness helps.
Yes, yes, reality is perception.

At the end of the day, have you made moves, or have you played armchair philosopher?

Because if the dumb guy who never read a book in his life has completed his list and you didn't... he's ahead of you while you masturbate to your Stoic Zen Mastery.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I have plenty of friends and acquaintances who are very successful entrepreneurs and business owners as well as many other self-made millionaires that seem to have a very specific trait in common. At least 90% of them seem to be able to "see themselves" and their current place in Reality. I've noticed that what seems to be at the forefront of their minds is a strong sense of self-honesty and an uncanny ability to put their emotions and impulses in check and assess their present condition and experience as objectively as possible. They take responsibility for what seems like literally everything they experience in life.

Have any of you noticed this trait in self-made millionaires? If not, what have you noticed in their general characters and dispositions?
-Having the balls to gamble and be lucky. Wu Ji Han raised 200k from friends and relatives to bet on bitcoin in 2011 pitching it as a 109 bagger which could also go zero.
-Compulsive Competitive Personality
If you always want to win you do not give ip easily
-Compulsive Hyperactivity
Always act on an idea and execute it. Execution is king. Deep thinker like Peter Theil is the exception not the norm.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA

I know self-made millionaires who couldn't recognize themselves in a mirror out of sheer lack of self-awareness.

At the end of the day, have you made moves, or have you played armchair philosopher?

Because if the dumb guy who never read a book in his life has completed his list and you didn't... he's ahead of you while you masturbate to your Stoic Zen Mastery.

Making moves, taking action, learning, adapting to changes, and execution go without saying. Which is why I didn't say it. I was making a general observation about the personalities of those around me. And Reality is not perception which is why I gave it a capital R.

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Wow!

This thread really makes me think! That all these success principles are bullshit!

"And reality's not perception."

There's one thing for sure. Rich people are very different. Not that their cut from a different cloth. But the approach is different.

And the fact that they make it seem so natural!

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
As some book says, one manages the whole world to the extent of his/her understanding.

exactly. thank you

this is why it is forbidden in secret societies to share superior knowledge with the masses.

we wouldn't share human knowledge with monkeys

this is obviously silly

imagine a monkey pushing the nuclear button..

same thing with humans.

the stupid masses would be embarassed with superior knowledge

" as above so below " from the hermetics teaching

monley---> humans---> initiates

as above so below

1560903881102.png

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA

I might perceive 2+2 to equal 6 but the Reality is that it's not. I might perceive a formation of stars in the sky to resemble a crab, but if I flew into outer space to check it out I'd find out that's not Reality, it's just a perception. Perception is not Reality.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
exactly. thank you

this is why it is forbidden in secret societies to share superior knowledge with the masses.

we wouldn't share human knowledge with monkeys

this is obviously silly

imagine a monkey pushing the nuclear button..

View attachment 25165

same thing with humans.

the stupid masses would be embarassed with superior knowledge

" as above so below " from the hermetics teaching

monley---> humans---> initiates

as above so below

View attachment 25164

Are you the same guy as that GSDxxx / GDSMxxxx or something, can't remember his user name here.
He's from france, and always talking about the "masses", conspiracy theories, secret organisations running things behind the scenes and posting ancient diagrams/pictures from the 15th century and earlier lol

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
Are you the same guy as that GSDxxx / GDSMxxxx or something, can't remember his user name here.
He's from france, and always talking about the "masses", conspiracy theories, secret organisations running things behind the scenes and posting ancient diagrams/pictures from the 15th century and earlier lol

thank you

the probability you would answer this way was 95 % . it was expected

you know , i have alread said too much because most people just can't think outside the box.

if i was a freemason, i would be punished for telling too much things here

most people think they are right and initiates are just idiots

maybe.

let's look at this picture from the tarot

what do you think it means ?

does it mean the averag guy is right ( you )

does it mean initiates are right ?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Success is built on tons of smart, hard work. That work translates into running-streaks of good luck. It's marching on day after day while filling one's time with doing the right stuff. And, all the while, mindfully punctuating those individual moments with a sense of great humility and love.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018

I can confirm this. It's one of the fundamentals stated by Ray Dalio (some talk about him in this thread).
He calls it "high-level, objective thinking". The ability to see oneself and others for what they are in reality.

OP didn't present it as "rule of success". As the title says, it's "one thing successful entrepreneurs have in common".
But calling it bullshit? Of course there's going to be exceptions. You can survive a fall from seven stories. But chances are pretty low. Same for those guy who don't have the trait highlighted in this post. But I bet that most successful entrepreneurs share this sense of reality.

And if you have this high-level thinking, this objectivity, this anchor in reality, you will probably get what you're after.

I agree with you though, realizing this does not mean one will automatically adopt this mindset and start taking action so yeah, it's a good thing to know it, and another to apply it.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
But calling it bullshit? Of course there's going to be exceptions. You can survive a fall from seven stories. But chances are pretty low. Same for those guy who don't have the trait highlighted in this post. But I bet that most successful entrepreneurs share this sense of reality.

And if you have this high-level thinking, this objectivity, this anchor in reality, you will probably get what you're after.

I agree with you though, realizing this does not mean one will automatically adopt this mindset and start taking action so yeah, it's a good thing to know it, and another to apply it.
Do you know what self-awareness is?
Do you know why the most successful entrepreneurs share "this sense of reality"?

**Drumroll**

Because they're smart.

Self-awareness is just pattern recognition working on your own mind/life.
In other words, it's a product of raw intelligence (and the experience necessary to know the patterns).
It's not a mindset.
The more brain power you have, the more patterns you can see, the more aware you are (self or not).

So you're basically saying "if you're smart you have better odds of being successful", which isn't that groundbreaking, is it?

But that wasn't even the point I was making.

The point is that doing the right things is what matters.

Let's not mistake the journey for the destination.

Self-awareness, to use the term, helps because it allows you to see what you're doing wrong and correct course.

But all that matters is that you are doing the right thing, aware or not.

It's not "exceptions". Success = doing the right thing, regardless of any trait.

To reuse your metaphor, the important thing is not to jump from the seventh floor, regardless of whether you understand the physics of it or not.

Focus on what you do.

Not on masturbating about traits.
Which is bullshit.

This was my point.

Reality is independent of perception. It is what it is, regardless of what we think about it.
I see you solved philosophy. I'll notify the Swedes.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
So you're basically saying "if you're smart you have better odds of being successful", which isn't that groundbreaking, is it?

Nope, that's not what I was saying.

But all that matters is that you are doing the right thing, aware or not.

It's not "exceptions". Success = doing the right thing, regardless of any trait.
[...]
Focus on what you do.

So how does one do that, exactly? How does one know what is the "right thing" to do?

NCNY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Mar 26, 2019
I feel like there are two kinds of people in the world-
1. the drones- the majority of people, the 99%, they are basically on autopilot, SCRIPTED, they let outer factors dicate their life.
2. the "self-aware"- people with very high level of self awareness that "view" the world different- like a game they can play and make moves to make difference to their lifes.

this is kind of manipulative but to my experience I know what to say to the first group and what outcome it will bring therefore I can create the situation that I like by the words and the way I use them.

Does anyone feel the same?

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
1. the drones- the majority of people, the 99%, they are basically on autopilot, SCRIPTED, they let outer factors dicate their life.
2. the "self-aware"- people with very high level of self awareness that "view" the world different- like a game they can play and make moves to make difference to their lifes.

this is kind of manipulative but to my experience I know what to say to the first group and what outcome it will bring therefore I can create the situation that I like by the words and the way I use them.

I've noticed this, for sure! So many people complain about their jobs, yet do nothing about it. And I've told a few people about my dreams, and they don't think it's realistic. They think the reality is that you have to work a job for 50 years, save & invest, yada yada yada... aka, the SLOWLANE! I think most people can't even picture the Fastlane.

Ilya C

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 6, 2019
I might perceive 2+2 to equal 6 but the Reality is that it's not. I might perceive a formation of stars in the sky to resemble a crab, but if I flew into outer space to check it out I'd find out that's not Reality, it's just a perception.

Thanks, I understand what you mean and I agree with this. What I meant though is that there is no point in trying to build a rocket if you don't know that there is space with stars. No perception of it > no GPS and self-driving cars :)

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City

Totally agree. This can be expressed with Barret's Seven Levels of Consciousness:

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I think ACTION outside of your comfort zone towards an objective is the only hurdle anyone faces.

I don't have a 5000 word essay expounding upon that or any graphs or meme pictures to back that up though...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.