The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

one more idea for the fast lane

Idea threads
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 10, 2012
recently i posted about getting in a billiards business but i had another idea that came up. in my tow there are two paper/magazines that are free in restaurants as i sat there reading it i thought why can't i make one? i thought of making a paper where i let the people fill the articles and tell the people in to write their feelings on politics current events and more then have them send it too me instead of having writers and have to pay for benefits and an hourly wage and i would buy articles from the masses and have an editor post them in the paper like a blog on a paper.

i would pull in my revenue in from advertising ad not have to do hardly a thing when its up and running.

what do you think of this idea

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 10, 2012
I think that's what the internet is for....

Z
yea i know however there are so many people already doing it on the the internet as opposed to two in the local mag market. also tons of people would run past it in the coffee shop but the internet is so big it would not be exposed.

Charlesp

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Sep 23, 2012
anything that involves paper will be dead in the next 5 years. The world is focusing on saving resources/money by going "Green", personally any business that involves printing paper is basically stone-age. At least go digital.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Your ideas suck, no personal offense.

Wanna know how I know your ideas suck? Because you have to ask random cats on an Internet forum if it's a good one.

If you wanna know if it's really a good one, get someone to pay you for it.

Last edited:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
This is an interesting idea, but unfortunately probably past its window of opportunity, since (as other posters have mentioned), the world is going digital.

And it's not just your audience. It's your advertisers as your potential revenue source. If you're hoping to sell classified ads to consumer advertsiers, you're competing with Craigslist. Craigslist charges nothing in most cases. If you're hoping to sell larger ads to businesses, you're competing with digital communication pieces like their Web sites and Facebook, which are a ton cheaper.

I do think it's great, though, that you're noticing things around you, and and keeping an eye out for the potential opportunity. Even though you haven't found that sweet spot yet, you will if you keep looking.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide!

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
recently i posted about getting in a billiards business but i had another idea that came up. in my tow there are two paper/magazines that are free in restaurants as i sat there reading it i thought why can't i make one? i thought of making a paper where i let the people fill the articles and tell the people in to write their feelings on politics current events and more then have them send it too me instead of having writers and have to pay for benefits and an hourly wage and i would buy articles from the masses and have an editor post them in the paper like a blog on a paper.

i would pull in my revenue in from advertising ad not have to do hardly a thing when its up and running.

what do you think of this idea

It appears that you are searching for ways to make a quick dollar without having to put any work into the PROCESS. Anyone on this forum who has built their businesses, didn't have someone else do the work while they sat back and reaped the benefits. It takes time, work, and a clear plan of execution.

As a publisher myself, you are somewhat correct in assuming that the internet "is so big it would not be exposed". Yes it is hard work to get people to your site. Speaking from experience, you have to REALLY work at driving traffic. You can't sit back, have others write content, have an editor review all the content, and have a tech guy post it for you while you sit back and collect. Yes, this is a possibility once you have become established and hire a staff. However, in the beginning stages, you are doing the work.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Your ideas suck, no personal offense.

Wanna know how I know your ideas suck? Because you have to ask random cats on an Internet forum if it's a good one.

Hah! I respectfully disagree with this. Even a sucky idea can be a good starting point. And asking random strangers on the Internet is a ton better than asking Mom or Grandma, who are anything but objective. Plus, there's some real brain-power here.

I say keep the ideas coming. If nothing else, it's a good learning experience for all of us. Well, for me anyway, and isn't that really the most important thing? :)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hah! I respectfully disagree with this. Even a sucky idea can be a good starting point. And asking random strangers on the Internet is a ton better than asking Mom or Grandma, who are anything but objective. Plus, there's some real brain-power here.

Bouncing off ideas to us won't make him any money nor will it help us help him in a more constructive way.

I say next time you give us an idea, tell it where it comes from and what your next steps would be (or ask what your next steps would be). Our opinions don't mean shit, because I STILL think that a toothbrush subscription is a dumb idea.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Bouncing off ideas to us won't make him any money nor will it help us help him in a more constructive way.

...But it might save him the time and money of going down an unproductive road. Not that I don't see your point, I guess I just look at it differently.

It appears that you are searching for ways to make a quick dollar without having to put any work into the PROCESS.

So true! Identify real needs, don't chase money. This is a good reminder.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
...But it might save him the time and money of going down an unproductive road. Not that I don't see your point, I guess I just look at it differently.

We must see it differently because I agree with you on that front.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Are people reading the book before they start these threads?

Read probably. Comprehend? Probably not.

I moved the thread to the idea forum ... certainly doesn't belong in the Fastlane section.

i thought of making a paper where i let the people fill the articles and tell the people in to write their feelings on politics current events and more then have them send it too me

You know, I actually think there is real possibility here, and here's why: I get a weekly community newspaper here in my city, and the first thing I do when I get it is I read the editorials, the letters to the editor, and the writings from the community. After that is read, I toss the paper. I don't read anything else. I find that section most interesting. While digital is the now and the future, I think a big percentage of people still enjoy the community feel of a newspaper, and something tangible.

I'm also one of those guys who isn't comfortable reading a digital e-reader over an actual book. It's a totally different experience.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Many do like something tangible, especially older people who aren't online much/at all. Maybe something targeting them.

Even greeting cards are making a comeback to paper. Some ecard companies are going to physical card w/ design your own type site then they fulfill for you.

G

Guest12120

You need to identify the need! Do people keep telling you that the existing papers suck? Do they want something different, better to read when they go to coffee shops? Do you hear advertisers complaining about the existing papers? What about restaurant owners? Do you know the companies that might be interested in paying for ads in your paper? Did you talk to anyone that might be interested in writing articles?
Don't start investing any money in this business until you know the answers to the questions above!

D

DeletedUser4

What are the article writers going to get out of it? This idea just doesn't make much sense to me. Whoever is writing articles for a local paper is probably getting paid peanuts for them anyway, what incentive do they have to do it for free?

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 10, 2012
What are the article writers going to get out of it? This idea just doesn't make much sense to me. Whoever is writing articles for a local paper is probably getting paid peanuts for them anyway, what incentive do they have to do it for free?

i would be buying there articles from them when i use it.

i am kinda in the brain storming faze and was looking for improvement advice.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 10, 2012
You need to identify the need! Do people keep telling you that the existing papers suck? Do they want something different, better to read when they go to coffee shops? Do you hear advertisers complaining about the existing papers? What about restaurant owners? Do you know the companies that might be interested in paying for ads in your paper? Did you talk to anyone that might be interested in writing articles?
Don't start investing any money in this business until you know the answers to the questions above!
yes i have heard complaints about advertising or the need for more advertising. i know there are people in the community very political minded and want to get their voice out and i think would write a blurb.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.