The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One hit wonder - sometime that's all you need

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Phenom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
I have a 9-year boy and when a new school year starts, he comes back home and ask for the latest craze. Last year, it was the Silly Bandz – see story in link.

(http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_25/b4183064453633.htm)

This year it’s the Rainbow Loom. To those that don’t know what this, it’s a kit that has elastics where you create bracelets. Some of the bracelet designs can be very complicated - I had to endure 1-2 hours to do 1 band for my son. The positive is that it teaches my son (and me!) patience. Also to never give up. haha! Not many toys nowadays, can get a boy to give up his electronics (X-Box, Ipod, etc.) and sit quietly to focus on creating a bracelet! So as a parent I recommend it. Once the bracelet is done, he can show off to his friends - the more complex the design, the higher the cred!

The story of how this product was created is a pretty interesting one. A 45 year old husband trying to convince his wife to go in this business. After much convincing, she agreed. Story here:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/228081

Is this a “one SKU Sue†? Doesn’t really matter because these things are selling like hotcakes. It retails for just under $20 and it’s sold out everywhere.

Viral Effect
I’m curious to know how this “craze†was created. These company don’t have the budget to advertise nor do they have a publicist…how does it go viral? Does the craze starts from a kid who saw it somewhere and showed it to his friends? Or is it the parent (likely mom) who saw it somewhere and bought it for the kid…either way, it would be very interesting to know...

Power of Youtube
What’s interesting about this story is that the product is fairly complex because “nobody understood how to use the productâ€. So how did they do it? Using video via Youtube to educate the kids (or parents) on how to do this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
The toy market continually blows my mind with the ridiculous things that get on the fad wagon. This market seems to be a huge gamble until you have an established name that people feel comfortable with.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
This is a preparatory document filed before submitting a patent (US).

The UK maybe, but not for the US. Why would you send anything to:

Isis Innovation Ltd, Ewert House, Ewert Place, Summertown, Oxford OX2 7SG
T +44 (0) 1865 280830
F +44 (0) 1865 280831

Phenom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Amail - I thought the +44 didn't look like a US number but the story is about a US (Detroit) entrepreneur. Wrong assumption from my end, sorry

The form was more of an example/sample of the type of questions that an inventor will need to answer if they were looking into a patent.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Toy fads are mega fastlane if you can start one, because there's not only a disconnect between your time and your product, but a disconnect between the product and any actual value (the value being added is entirely in the mind of the buyer, unlike, say, a better word processor or car engine), so the production cost vs. sale price equation is off the charts. For example, Pokemon cards:

Cost to produce a single card: Probably a tiny fraction of a cent.

Cost to buy a card: About $0.33 new in packaging.

Know many other mfg. businesses where the end product sells for 100x the cost of production?

Eurisko79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 7, 2013
For example, Pokemon cards:

Cost to produce a single card: Probably a tiny fraction of a cent.

Cost to buy a card: About $0.33 new in packaging.

Know many other mfg. businesses where the end product sells for 100x the cost of production?

Pokemon cards were an ever more rare subset of the toy fad though... They were collectable!

I was working at Toys R Us the year they came out, we got them as employees at a 10% discount so like $3 a pack. I was able to sell the unopened packs to a guy running a kiosk at the mall (on the other side of the parking lot) for $9 a pack and he would buy as many as I could bring him.

It was a good Christmas :cool:

I also worked at the store for Tickle Me Elmo, Tamagotchi and Furby... All were good money makers, but nothing topped being able to sell cases and cases of Pokemon cards for 200% profit by walking 250 yards.

Phenom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
haha. That mean some poor kid (or parent) is paying way too much for these cards.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have a 9-year boy and when a new school year starts, he comes back home and ask for the latest craze. Last year, it was the Silly Bandz – see story in link.

(http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_25/b4183064453633.htm)

This year it’s the Rainbow Loom. To those that don’t know what this, it’s a kit that has elastics where you create bracelets. Some of the bracelet designs can be very complicated - I had to endure 1-2 hours to do 1 band for my son. The positive is that it teaches my son (and me!) patience. Also to never give up. haha! Not many toys nowadays, can get a boy to give up his electronics (X-Box, Ipod, etc.) and sit quietly to focus on creating a bracelet! So as a parent I recommend it. Once the bracelet is done, he can show off to his friends - the more complex the design, the higher the cred!

The story of how this product was created is a pretty interesting one. A 45 year old husband trying to convince his wife to go in this business. After much convincing, she agreed. Story here:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/228081

Is this a “one SKU Sue” ? Doesn’t really matter because these things are selling like hotcakes. It retails for just under $20 and it’s sold out everywhere.

Viral Effect
I’m curious to know how this “craze” was created. These company don’t have the budget to advertise nor do they have a publicist…how does it go viral? Does the craze starts from a kid who saw it somewhere and showed it to his friends? Or is it the parent (likely mom) who saw it somewhere and bought it for the kid…either way, it would be very interesting to know...

Power of Youtube
What’s interesting about this story is that the product is fairly complex because “nobody understood how to use the product”. So how did they do it? Using video via Youtube to educate the kids (or parents) on how to do this.

A wonderful article. Thanks for posting this. I reposted to http://facebook.com/blazeyourownpath

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This thread has a second great lesson in it behind the scenes beyond the original post if you caught it. Someone working for a minimal wage and a mass market toy store watching Toy trends come and go year after year, while the founders of each of those new toys made millions through the labor of people like the worker. One person works 40 hours a week for a small paycheck and maybe the chance to resell some of the toys… The other person never has to work again for a single day in his life.

Are you going to be the inventor or the worker?

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
This is really a fascinating story! Just look at the pictures of the inventory, that could be any Fastlaner here 6 months from now...

stefan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 29, 2013
Dallas, TX
Great thread. The toy market is very interesting and coming up with the next kind of "party game" (for the college-aged market) is always kind of an exciting mental exercise for me. Game ideas that are both witty and repeatable (let's think monopoly) are just amazing and almost timeless. Monopoly still makes great sales since the earlier part of this century.

G

GuestUser152

As a warehouse associate in an Amazon Fulfillment center I can attest to the fact that things are selling like hot cakes.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
As a warehouse associate in an Amazon Fulfillment center

You are on the inside of the greatest retailer in the world, use that power to find whats hot and whats not and sell your own stuff in there too!

stefan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 29, 2013
Dallas, TX
As a warehouse associate in an Amazon Fulfillment center I can attest to the fact that things are selling like hot cakes.

We have an Amazon inside man here? Please do create your own thread about this if you'd be willing to share. As long as you aren't under a NDA ;)

G

GuestUser152

Haha trust me I am definitely paying attention to what's flowing through there. And I thought about posting an AMA but it said I needed an INSIDERS subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.