The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Off-Site SEO advice

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Any advice would be helpful from people with knowledge on this topic.

I have a few sites that have already been optimized for SEO purposes, and now the focus is on increasing their place in the search engines through off-site tactics.

I'm wondering if there's a sound strategy to use that can be automated as much as possible...

Here's what I have so far as my plan per website..

- 5 articles targeting 1-3 keywords at a time - submitted to over 1,000 article marketing directories-
- 50 blog comments with keyword links back to website
- 15 articles - 1 to each social networking site
- 50 links from social bookmarking
- 250 forum profile links pointng back to website
- rss feed submitted to top 20 RSS sites online
- twitter profile/facebook page - with updates to each account throughout month
- Blog pages w/content(500-600 word articles) on each of the following websites with links pointing back to website per 1-2 keywords
1.Blogger.com
2. Tumblr.com
3. Xanga.com
4. Weebly.com
5. Blogspot.com
6. Wordpress.com
7. Hubpages.com
8. Squidoo.com
- fiverr link gigs pointing to each of the web 2.0 properties

I'm also thinking about adding in a BMR routine. Is it worth the cost? If so, how many 150 word blog posts should I post each month for 1 site?

Again, I'm trying to create a long lasting SEO campaign, so any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
This could work. But if these are the first links you're building for your site, you might want to start slow and make sure the first links you build are good quality (pass copyscape) and not spun garbage. Bookmark your main site a few times on different bookmarking sites. Build up your web2.0 sites that will link directly to your site. Link not only to your main domain, but also to your inner pages. Then after those get indexed, create forum profile / sig links (preferably on forums related to your niche). You can spam blast those other properties without worrying about your site getting penalized. Also, be sure you can keep the link velocity up; don't build 200 links in one day then stop building links altogether. But once you have some solid, good quality links, in my opinion it's okay to go into building senukex campaigns, spun blog articles (like BMR / UAW / Article Ranks), etc. Good luck!

AdamMaxum

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
thanks for the advice kwerner. appreciated.

when you say build up the web 2.0 properties, how many articles should I place on each one? I understand the link wheel/pyramid concept, and varying the links to other properties and inner pages.

I was going to create blog pages using the title as a keyword I'm focusing on + an article speaking about the keyword itself. Now should I continue to add more articles after the initial one, and if so, how many more? Does it make sense to build up a web 2.0 property for the sole purpose of link building one keyword for the site?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I'm not saying this is the "right" thing to do or not, but this is what *I* do -

Day 1: Register on all the web 2.0 sites, go to MTurks and have people rewrite 500+ word articles for me that are unique and pass copyscape.
Day 2: Submit the article with 1-2 pictures or 1 video on the different web2.0 sites. Insert your link with the exception of on Wordpress.com, Blog.com, and any other highly moderated sites.
Day 3: Have MTurks create another 1-3 unique articles per site.
Day 4: Submit new articles, add links on wordpress.com, blog.com, and others.

I try to have each web2.0 property have at least 4-5 unique articles when starting out. Some will link to the main page, some will link to inner pages, some will have links to Wikipedia or other authority sites within the niche (but not competitor's sites, obviously). But like I said, this is just how *I* do it, some may think it's going overboard building up each web2.0 site so much. Just difference of opinions.

Of coarse you'll have a blog on your own site as well, linking to the pages you're trying to rank for and other link building, but the above just describes how I do the web 2.0's.

Hope this helps.

AdamMaxum

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
interesting. thanks again for the insight. I haven't heard much about people using amazons service yet. Are you having Mturks create new content + rewrite, or just re-write? Also, whats the average going rate for that? I usually use places like odesk for article writing, or textbroker.

Oh, and how many web 2.0 blogs should I use? I'm seeing that people stick between 8-10 usually.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
With MTurks, I just find an article that I like and have them rewrite it for $1-$1.50 per approved article. If what they wrote doesn't fit my specified requirements, I can reject the work and not pay them.

Amount of web 2.0's and link building in general just depends on the difficulty of the competition. I think I built up 30 or so for the keywords I'm targeting.

FSF

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 2, 2012
This thread has some interesting info. I definitely plan on trying some of the suggestions. I am impressed with how far you guys are willing to go to push the off site SEO. I plan on making my site very authoritative, owning my topic. The content on the site will be good enough for others to want to link back on their own.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Kasey, or anyone else who wants to weigh in,

At what point do you think you can start getting more aggressive with building links?

My main page (homepage) that I am trying to rank the more competitive words is a PR2, 16 months old.

I have taken it easy with link building, 150-200 post on BMR (BuildMyRank), along with some web 2.0's links, article directory, web directory links.

I have built many links to the inner pages as well. Several pages are PR2 as well.

I have babied it along, I am focusing on gaining guest blog post right now, to get quality links and traffic to the site. I am thinking it is getting mature enough to start really cranking up the velocity, what do you guys think? Still take it easy or get more aggressive and hope google don't hit me over the head.

AdamMaxum

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I'm fairly new to the game of link building, but I think you're moving way too slow. As long as your link building is consistent, that's what really matters.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I honestly don't know, never tested it myself. I've read about people nuking their sites within the first week and experiencing good initial serp results, getting the google dance but continuing to build links, and their sites coming back stronger than ever. But I can't speak from personal experience on that, only heresay, and we all know what that is worth.

But if your site is 16 months old, I wouldn't think it would hurt at all to Senuke it, build profile links from authority sites and forums within your niche, do spun articles of high pr private blog networks, etc. Heck I started that stuff when my site was 6 months old. Gotta build links man. But if you're nervous about it, just throw a ton of links at your tier 1 sites to try and build them up, the link juice should flow through to your site.

kuanglina

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 5, 2012
I have babied it along, I am focusing on gaining guest blog post right now, to get quality links and traffic to the site.
g.php

D

DeletedUser397

My advice is quality over quantity. First and foremost, how much quality/relevant does your own site have? You're not going to get far if you don't have retention and high bounce rates. You could have thousands of back links, but they have to be relevant and people have to want to visit. Natural search rank trumps off-site SEO hands-down. You should strive to a build a site with such good content that your prospective customers and clients will do the backlinks for you by sharing it it with others themselves.

I was able to get roughly 1000 uniques/month from just 1 well-written article for a past site. Rather than trying to build tons of links, try to maximize the quality out of well-placed links in relevant places. Also, a lot of the places you mentioned likely have 'nofollow' restrictions, so you'd be better off building a reputation within those communities to give more value to your links. Spam is worthless. Forum links are great, but not just from anyone. Respectable poster, definitely.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
My advice is quality over quantity. First and foremost, how much quality/relevant does your own site have? You're not going to get far if you don't have retention and high bounce rates. You could have thousands of back links, but they have to be relevant and people have to want to visit. Natural search rank trumps off-site SEO hands-down. You should strive to a build a site with such good content that your prospective customers and clients will do the backlinks for you by sharing it it with others themselves.

Personally, I don't completely subscribe to this theory; have seen to many sites with near ZERO content that rank. Check out This Example. Click the link in first position and check out the content they have on the site. How is that ranked #1?? Or a PR3 for that matter??

Also, I've seen a site within the last couple weeks with just a NUMERICAL domain name, that has ZERO text content on ANY page, other than the post title (just pictures - not even UNIQUE pictures - 100% copied), and the site is a legit PR6.

These are a couple examples of why I don't subscribe to Matt Cutts' BS about quality content being a prerequisite to have high rankings / high PR.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
I totally agree with kwerner on this one man!
I hate Matt Cutts!
All he does it spout crap about writing for readers not SE's, but I have done research personally into the effectiveness of regular unique and SEO-architectured blog posts and I have found that it does help if you are wayyy low in the serps, but once you get onto even the second page not only do regular blog posts not increase your rankings, they do not even help you hold onto your current rankings.
No matter what the Google assholes are saying, nothing does more for rankings than quality backlinks.
BTW, I just found that searching on a mobile device causes sites with mobile versions to rank higher than if you were searching on a laptop. I am still looking into this.
Thanks,
Grant

NJDonny89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 2, 2012
NJ
Can someone explain to a newbie how that site Kwerner is talking about is PR7? It has 17 indexed pages and ZERO content on each one? How is this even possible, unless it's owned by Matt Cutts bffl :p

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Can someone explain to a newbie how that site Kwerner is talking about is PR7? It has 17 indexed pages and ZERO content on each one? How is this even possible, unless it's owned by Matt Cutts bffl :p

it has 800,000+ backlinks that it acquired in a bit over 3 years.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I totally agree with kwerner on this one man!
I hate Matt Cutts!
All he does it spout crap about writing for readers not SE's

I love Matt Cutts, I listen to what he says, does what he recommends, and don't worry about when the next Google update is, because Google LOVES my site, I have never had slap issues since that has become a thing (my site is older than Google). Google is way smarter than any of us will ever be. You can game them for a bit, but it will come back and kill you. I know guys with 6 figure websites that went to 4 figure websites trying to game them.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
it has 800,000+ backlinks that it acquired in a bit over 3 years.

Good guess, but not the case for this particular situation. High level black hat manipulation going on with this site. I'm not even sure how they did it. It does have several high PR homepage / site-wide links, linking to it, but I wouldn't think that would be enough. Mntainman might be able to figure it out, but he doesn't post much on here anymore. maybe I'll PM him about it.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Good guess, but not the case for this particular situation. High level black hat manipulation going on with this site. I'm not even sure how they did it. It does have several high PR homepage / site-wide links, linking to it, but I wouldn't think that would be enough. Mntainman might be able to figure it out, but he doesn't post much on here anymore. maybe I'll PM him about it.

We are both guessing, but since there are no outbound links, no link juice is passed, and Google sees a mountain of quickly attained, links from lots of sites (good/bad/other). So it gets PR. PR does not equate to SE ranks, or profit, so the guy has figured out how to create a high PR site. Since there is minimal content Google can't judge it on that, it doesn't show in searches since there is no content, so there is no bounce rate to negatively affect it.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
I've never built a spam backlink in my life and my sites don't use dupe or even spun content. I feel that Cutts tries to mislead SEO's and that much of what he says is propaganda.
I may be wrong, this is just my belief.
Thanks,
Grant

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads