The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not motivated at work ...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
after reading TMF . I'm finding it extremely hard to stay focused on work issues at the moment. All I want to do is work towards my “fastlane†goals. Any advise on staying focused at work and still accomplishing my goals?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
I have had that in the past and after a while it felt like cheating on my employer, which I found unethical. So, I quit my job and started to pursue my private ventures sooner than planned. But it was good. It forced me to put all my efforts into my ventures and to generate income a.s.a.p.

Dutchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 20, 2011
London
I have had that in the past and after a while it felt like cheating on my employer, which I found unethical. So, I quit my job and started to pursue my private ventures sooner than planned. But it was good. It forced me to put all my efforts into my ventures and to generate income a.s.a.p.

My feelings exactly. I feel like I'm cheating my employer making me feel even worse. Henk, let's catch up sometime!

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
My "Fastlane" plan is trading-oriented, and has been for years. It's FAR more interesting to me than my "job." I frequently spend a significant part of each day doing trading research, instead of working.

But I only hurt myself doing that. I'm self-employed and doing hourly consulting work. I only bill for *productive* hours. So if I spend half the day playing with trading stuff, I just cut my income. As long as my client is satisfied with my schedule and my results, there's no problem.

I could make well over $100k/yr if I would just WORK all the time. But I'm sick of what I do. I'd much rather take a lower income, and move closer to my goals.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
As an employer, please stop wasting the bosses money and walk.

As an entrepreneur, make sure you know what you are doing before you quit or it ends real fast.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio

As an entrepreneur, make sure you know what you are doing before you quit or it ends real fast.

Well, I sort of expected this response; not exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately quitting is not a great option for me or my employer. I do appreciate you being straight up in your reply though. I’ll keep struggling with my emotions and still do my job as expected. It’s just hard after your eyes have been opened to expose the reality of the situation you’re currently in.

Thanks

Jaxi West

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 2, 2010
Arlington, VA
It is probably very hard when you are so excited to start building your new life.

I guess the question to ask is why are you staying with the current employer in the 1st place? If you need the money, maybe for the next month or so, hang in for a bit longer and take your lunch hour to focus on your new life plans and actions (just eat and do that at the same time ) and keep a steady paycheck coming for 2 more months. But this way - you can stay very focused on your job, because you know you are now alloting yourself the time during lunch to do something for your future. This extra hour (vs what you do when you are not at work) will also give you headway or leverage to get your new life started even earlier. 2 months, 1 hour each day, that is 60 extra hours towards your new business/life :)

If you are not sure why you really are staying with your current employer in the 1st place -then give the 2 weeks notice and leave. But let them know why you are leaving if you aren't dissatisfied with your job or your boss. You never know if your boss or someone he knows might be interested in whatever you are newly creating for yourself :)

And like the others said, this will force you to make things happen quicker for yourself. The other best part about leaving is you are opening up a j.o.b. for someone who really does just want this, and you will have a ton more energy b/c you won't be involved in something 8+ hours a day that you don't want to be (you will be surprised how much this really zaps your energy) So most likely, you will be able to accomplish a lot more each day to make your new business/life happen quicker.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Any advise on staying focused at work and still accomplishing my goals?

I'm in that situation now and have found it helps to create a plan with a timeline and work that plan. Decide what you need to do, how much time it will take you to do it, and map out the next year or two in terms of what actions you need to take to get out on your own. Then give your employer part of your day and work on your own stuff part of the day (according to your plan) but give each set of tasks your full attention and focus while you're doing them.

For me, that means work for my employer during the hours they're paying me for but work for myself during down time, during lunch, on breaks, and in the evening. If you don't have that separation and clear goals for each I think you'll do worse work for both your boss and yourself. And, if you have no plan at all to realize your goals, you'll just spend each day dissatisfied and frustrated at your lack of moving your fastlane dreams forward and with the realization that you really have no hope of moving forward because you're not doing anything!

A

Anon3587x

How I really feel:

Stop being indecisive like a high school cheerleader who can't choose which football player she likes. Pick something and follow it through all the way!

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Thanks Jaxi and Milenko, good info. Much appreciated!

Bateati, cheerleader? Really? Not very constructive, but thanks.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Are you still producing for your employer according to your contract? I've never worked a job in my life where I "focused" all of my time on the job yet I was always praised as an excellent employee. Employers want the results they pay you for, they don't need your thoughts.

I never let my results slip so it never became an issue with my previous bosses.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

As a former employer, I have to agree with Jack here.

You were hired to do a job and devote your working hours to your employer. This is the contract, written or implied, that you signed up for. Be respectful of the employer and the paycheck you receive.

Either shut out the entrepreneurial visions during work hours and focus after hours and weekends, or quit the job.

Many, many, many entrepreneurs start their businesses while holding a full time job. It isn't impossible, but it takes sacrifice. Sell the tv, quit the softball team, quit the bowling league, etc. Not that you do any of these things specifically, but certainly you have some time you are misusing towards unproductive endeavors.

We all have 24 hours in a day. Its how we use them that counts.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Are you still producing for your employer according to your contract? I've never worked a job in my life where I "focused" all of my time on the job yet I was always praised as an excellent employee. Employers want the results they pay you for, they don't need your thoughts.

I never let my results slip so it never became an issue with my previous bosses.

Absolutely! I'm the only IT person on staff for a medium business, so I have to perform. I've been in this business for 20 years so I can do most of it in my sleep. I just don't have the same hardcore attitude that I previously had. I was seeking some insight as to what others have done in this situation. It's not like I'm sitting around with my feet on my desk, doing nothing all day!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
From my experience, one can stay focused on 9-5 in preliminary phase, while preparing to get into business, gathering info, testing market, trolling forums... many times holding a job can even help in getting feedback, acquiring some contacts and first gigs.

But when it's time take off, it's time to take off. Focus on your biz, stay fair to previous employer (he may even become one of your first customers), have backup plan if you fail.

This is just an option and not for everyone of course.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Then you are fine and shouldn't feel guilty. Never let your performance waver, continue thinking about your fastlane endeavors.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Many, many, many entrepreneurs start their businesses while holding a full time job. It isn't impossible, but it takes sacrifice. Sell the tv, quit the softball team, quit the bowling league, etc. Not that you do any of these things specifically, but certainly you have some time you are misusing towards unproductive endeavors.

We all have 24 hours in a day. Its how we use them that counts.

I agree totaly. I spend at least 80% of my off time reading and studying.

deSeingalt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 16, 2011

This.
Just make sure you know what you are doing before you get too excited. Get your job done and work on your project in spare time. If you cant get a job done right for somebody else, what makes you think you can do it right for yourself?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.