The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nootropics & I (Progress Thread)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Tetras

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Feb 15, 2013
I have used Selegeline before to boost my alertness and for longevity as it is an MAOI-B inhibitor. It lets me get high off chocolate, makes other medications and drugs stronger, and is a mood enhancer as well.

It worked so well that I only sleep one REM cycle at a time (this is bad because I have to keep a schedule).

This is a high pressure society. It tells me something when a 16 year old feels like he needs to take supplements to succeed and maintain his grades. Its depressing that they put so much emphasis on grades.

I got an Adderall prescription since I have horrible ADD (after HS, so it wasn't as useful), but since I am in the slowlane (going to community college, not working too much, etc) I rarely use it, although if I used it when I was at school, I'm sure I would have been in a much better position.

BTW OP, you are always using 100% of your brain, they disproved the 10% or less of your brain years ago. Don't take too much stuff, you'll mess up your brain, or end up with a heart attack. Some of the stuff like Piracetam is harmless, but taking caffeine everyday sure isn't. Nothing works better than good diet and exercise.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the reply Tetras.

I agree that society is very pressuring, but remember the concussion can account for part of my decision to try Nootropics.

I don't take them daily anymore, mainly on an as needed basis and I am going to trim down what I am taking as well. Removing caffeine and only staying on things I know are safe.

In your opinion, Racetams are safe...but what is not?

Tetras

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Feb 15, 2013
Most supplements don't seem to do much actually. I found most of them useless for my purposes. A few supplements are interesting (gw501516 is an exercise supplement that also gives you energy throughout the day) but I think most supplements are untested, have little to no effect, and can cause damage in later years. It might be paranoia, but I don't think that supplements came out of nowhere.

Most people have poor exercise and diet regimes and attempt to regain their health by... popping mystery chemicals? The only ones that I do think are useful are those that are slightly bad for you (amphetamines are my gold standard), do nothing (piracetam did nothing for me), have strange effects that adversely affect you as well as being in literature for being good (seleguline, noopept) and some that are just bad for you but are acceptable (caffeine).

What do you hope to gain from using these? L-tyrosine works to increase dopamine and was helpful to me, I sometimes take caffeine, and I take Adderall sometimes too. If you're successful you have no need to mess with these. Get a good diet and exercise.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Maybe your brain is just that way, not sure about your age or other factors in your life.

They do seem to have an effect on me, but the less and less I take them I still seem to feel the affects. Probably because my brain is healing from a serious injury, but I think a big part of it is self confidence, I started experiencing anxiety and social difficulties after my concussion, and part of the push needed to get back on my feet was from Noots. I think now that I have regained what I had before (and then some) I will start to lean down on my stack to take it less frequently and only take what is essential (i.e no more caffeine).

I might try and get some modafinil for all nighters and for big tests/papers etc, but eventually I would like to only be taking a few things a day, one being Lion's Mane Mushroom, but having them if I need them is a safety net to reassure myself that if anything happens I have something to turn to (Whether it's placebo or not)

As for diet and exercise, I have that completely under control. I am 16, 6'1" and way about 155lbs, so I am in great shape, I run 4 miles multiple times a week (6.5min miles) and I workout 5 days a week, and for my diet, I eat 2 big meals a day and eat peanuts/trail mix/yogurt on the side. Haven't drank pop in over a year, I only drink tea (hot and cold) and water with some cranberry juice here and there.

The main factor in my decision is I wasn't successful after my concussion, I began to feel depressed, anxious, and overwhelmed with all of my make up work and the pressure to get caught up and continue with my already rigorous schedule. Noots have helped me with this, and by no means do I use them to make me smarter or do I rely on them, they are merely an aid that I hope to get away from.

Tetras

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Feb 15, 2013
Thats good. Modafinil wasn't very good for me, it worked once, didn't work another time, I took it after I woke up and walked a girl to the bus and I fell asleep right after.

My friend told me that it was better after you're sleep deprived. It isn't in any way addictive, I take Adderall and I find myself craving it sometimes, but Modafinil I haven't taken for months and feel no need to. Noopept caused more anxiety for me. I think you are going to heal regardless of if you take any of these supplements, you're young and your body will fix itself, but I hope these don't hurt you.

Good luck!

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
- Update -

Hey what's up guys, it's been a while since I posted an update, so I thought I would drop by to let you know how I am doing.

I have decided to start cutting back on what I have been taking. I started by alternating Sulbutiamine with Aniracetam so that I was taken one on Mon/Wed/Fri and the other on Tue/Thurs. I also cut caffeine out completely. Since then I started only taking my stacks every other day, and in the past week I have stopped taking it completely.

While I loved the fun of trying new things, researching, and testing, I feel that I don't want my life to depend on these supplements. Sure they are great and help a lot, but I want my success in life to be from hard work and overcoming the problems from my injury. I still have all of my supplements stashed just in case I need them on some crazy test day, or a long paper night. I will most likely use them from time to time but it will be on more of an as-needed basis, rather than a daily routine.

For anyone who is interested in trying them, I would definitely say give it a try. The experience is great, and it really does feel amazing, but I would not recommend using them regularly, it makes me feel like I am a druggy popping 20 pills a day, and I don't like how I started to rely on them for energy and motivation.

I strongly believe that this can aid individuals with Alzheimer's, and other conditions that effect memory, it truly helped mine.

I will continue to post here with any further positives or negatives that I experience, and if I learn anything new about Noots!

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for starting this thread InLikeFlint I found it very interesting. My interest in the subject was rekindled today by a NY Mag article about modafinil. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I've just ordered my first supply of piracetam as an experiment, not planning to go crazy with nootropics (just like you, I dislike the prospect of relying on them), but mainly because the past few weeks I have noticed an alarming deterioration in my cognitive/verbal capacity, possibly tied to taking a break from heavy caffeine use... I hope the pircetam helps me recover. I appreciate you sharing your story and I'm glad to read how it's helped you personally.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Thanks for starting this thread InLikeFlint I found it very interesting. My interest in the subject was rekindled today by a NY Mag article about modafinil. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I've just ordered my first supply of piracetam as an experiment, not planning to go crazy with nootropics (just like you, I dislike the prospect of relying on them), but mainly because the past few weeks I have noticed an alarming deterioration in my cognitive/verbal capacity, possibly tied to taking a break from heavy caffeine use... I hope the pircetam helps me recover. I appreciate you sharing your story and I'm glad to read how it's helped you personally.

No problem! I am glad you are finding these posts and updates helpful! It's been a while since I've heard from the followers like Theag who was going to give them a go, hope all is well there!

I would say possibly see a doctor of some sort before trying them? I knew my symptoms were from my concussion and I wouldn't have tried them if it was just random, I'd say do it to rule out any extremities!

For verbal skills Aniracetam did wonders for me, I believe Piracetam has been known to help some, but Ani is the primary social skills pill. ALSO REMEMBER IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU TAKE A SOURCE OF CHOLINE WITH ANY FROM THE RACETAM FAMILY. Like it's completely essential, don't take the risk and not take it.

I look forward to seeing how it works for you!

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for the tip re: Choline. I saw elsewhere recommendations about it being helpful to avoid potential headaches w/ Piracetam use, but since YOU PUT IT IN ALL CAPS :) I will definitely add it to the regimen. It's strange but taking a break from caffeine seems to have induced a weird sort of aphasia where I cannot extract from my brain certain common words that I used to have no problem with. I guess it's like any type of health issue, until people start noticing their health/mental capacity deteriorating, people take it for granted. Thanks again!

Hairy Maclary

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2012
I have heard two things that are 100% anecdotal but still ten times as interesting...
"Some people can function perfectly on 5hrs of sleep a night"
"The brain only retains about 10% of useful information when reading"

These two things give way to a plethora of "useful" strategies in the "life-hacking" field!

Some less "technological" than others...
Nutrition
Omega 3's (Krill oil)
Exercise
Brain training
Memory Testing
Sleeping better
Time management

Things like these might be quite beneficial... anyone else had any experience?

I can't say on the nutrition or vitamins. I tried diets but didn't seen any change in energy, and I stopped taking vitamins about 3 weeks in when 4 weeks is supposedly "the time it takes for you to feel a difference" :(

One thing I have noticed is that my brain has slowed down immensely since leaving uni. Fourth year physics and maths subjects kept the cognitive stuff in tune but I have a feeling I'm out of practice now.

P.S. Re - Modafinil

So far I know about 5-6 people who have used it and two had side effects (including myself). It is great if you want to be a gurning zombie all night but if you want to perform mentally demanding work, forget it. One night on two nights off is pushing it but you can use half a dose for cutting your required sleeping hours in half.

I will never use the stuff again, it is not worth it. My friend still uses it for studying but I suspect if he better managed his time and stopped pissing the whole weekend away it wouldn't be necessary. If you are one of the lucky ones who can stay awake for 24hrs and have no repercussions then go for it. On the other hand, the more I read about sleep, the more is seems essential to health and vitality.

Just a warning :)

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
OK I just got my first package of Piracetam and also picked up some Vitamin Shoppe Choline (thanks InLikeFlint for the tip). Down the hatch!

bKiGxqE.jpg

Starting with 1600mg of Piracetam and 310mg of Choline... we shall see how it goes! I understand there may be some placebo influence especially at first, and that it make take several days to ramp up effects, but I am curious and excited about this.

D

Deleted14762

I use iDoser regularly and I feel the effects, any of you guys gave it a try?

D

Deleted14762

Nope. have never heard of it either.

Is it effective?

Judging by my experience, it is. Most people use it as a substitute for drugs, but there are a lot of brain-stimulating doses. The one I like the most is a custom dose made by an eastern European which simulates the effects of NZT. Some people feel the effects and some don't, however, I would recommend trying it.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I don't really use Noots too often anymore.

Have you tried other things you would be able to compare the effects to? Piracetam, Aniracetam, Noopept, NALT, Sulbutiamine?

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Just today I've made ​​my order of Neurostim. Do you know something about this product?

The name sounds familiar, but nothing particular (good nor bad) comes to mind, if you send me the link though I'd be happy to take a look and give you my honest feedback!

truesouth

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 6, 2011
Patagonia, Chile
The name sounds familiar, but nothing particular (good nor bad) comes to mind, if you send me the link though I'd be happy to take a look and give you my honest feedback!

You can get more information here: https://store.mindnutrition.com/us/product/neurostim/

Let it be clear that I have no affiliation with that site.

Honestly, I've been researching and reading long hours for the past three days. So I think it is the best choice is Neurostim on everything I've read. In addition, it will complement with CDP Choline.

The good thing is that they also have a forum where they offer immediate support. For example here I raised my doubts: Any negative interaction with Neurostim or Neurochill + Atenolol?

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
You can get more information here: https://store.mindnutrition.com/us/product/neurostim/

Let it be clear that I have no affiliation with that site.

Honestly, I've been researching and reading long hours for the past three days. So I think it is the best choice is Neurostim on everything I've read. In addition, it will complement with CDP Choline.

The good thing is that they also have a forum where they offer immediate support. For example here I raised my doubts: Any negative interaction with Neurostim or Neurochill + Atenolol?

Just took a look at the link..I do in fact remember reading about this, and I have read good things about the site overall.

Neurotism is not a stand alone Noot, it is formed from Aniracetam, Vinoceptine, ACh, and DMAE.

Aniracteam works wonders for social skills. I can personally account for the increased fluidity in words, quick tongue, and just a good overall confidence booster. I had no problem holding on a really good conversation with people I had never met, I felt more inclined to introduce myself, and was less shy towards everyone.

I have not used Vinoceptine, but it has been said to be amazing for performance of your brain. It increases the flow of oxygen and nutrients to your brain which basically allows it to work longer and harder without having negative effects or tiring out. This will help the other compounds in the overall stack.

ACh I have also never used, but is said to be a source of Choline that is used up rapidly from Racetams.

DMAE produces more Choline which is really needed with Racetams.

Overall I think the stack looks good, it puts me at ease to know it contains Noots I have heard of instead of some random "THE REAL NZT PILL" on Amazon with sketchy photos and many grammatical errors in the description. I think this is a great starter and I would still recommend to supplement Choline with this because you can never have enough Choline, and too much shouldn't hurt you.

I look forward to hearing how this works out for you!

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Well good news so far after 1 day of Piracetam + Choline, by good news I mean there are no apparent ill effects like nausea diarrhea unknown rash unusual thoughts of violence difficulty urinating etc. In fact I feel pretty darn good for having only had 4 hours of sleep. I'm not even sure if I need my AM coffee. It's definitely difficult to tell how much placebo effects are playing a role (at one point I was thinking "This stuff seems to be making my internet work faster!!!")... but I sure did get a lot done last afternoon and night and into the AM and found my mood seemed unnaturally elevated. The best way I could describe it is that things seemed to flow smoothly... like the typical routine was running on a non-stick frying pan surface, and I was able to work on stuff and read material without the resistance that's sometimes felt. Strange visions as I was falling asleep of teddy bears wearing chain mail armor embedded with precious gems was the only kind of weird effect so far, but that might have just been random. So far so good! I won't update everyday (just wanted to relate that the 1st dose hasn't proved fatal), but will update in a couple weeks since that seems to be time period where genuine effects should be observed if they're going to be observed at all.

Hairy Maclary

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2012
So it seems you guys are more akin towards the chemical side of things :smxG:

Well, do you think it is ok to jump right on into the artificial stuff before you have everything else, the natural stuff, sorted?
Say if someone has a bad diet, little sleep and infrequent exercise, is it still ok to shortcut a little?

stephanduq

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 7, 2013
On the brain thing, your brain only really needs two things to stay focussed and absorbing.

Water and fruit.

Of everything I have tried in my life to have a less chaotic brain, these two things helped the most. So silly and so simple.

Everyday I start with 2ltr bottles with water on my desk, that I finish over the course of the day. I also started sleeping better, I do still sleep 7 hours a day. But because my brain is more focussed, my uptime is more efficient. I just assume my body knows when I need to wake-up, and I should just trust instinct in this departement.

Not sure how the scientific evidence is about this, but it worked for me :)

edit: What might be interesting. I stopped drinking caffeine. Wich in the long run gave me more energy. But the downside is, when I drink a random cup, my body and brain get so confused that I will most likely skip a night of sleep. One espresso pretty much gives me enough energy to stay awake for 48 hours, but makes me feel extremely drained.

awkwardgenius

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 28, 2012
Southern California
A neuroscientist friend of mine is involved with a nootropics startup. He created a coupon code for me so I could share with you guys:

truBrain
code: truNumus

That gives you a 15% discount. I receive no kickback or commission for this. I just figured I'd share since it's an easy way to get into nootropics without having to do a lot of (expensive) trial and error to figure out a decent stack.

The blend they have there is pretty similar to what I take now, and it's actually cheaper and more convenient than ordering them all separately. And it's a hell of lot more convenient than ordering a bunch of strange powders from a stranger on ebay and trying to choke those down 2-3 times a day.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
A neuroscientist friend of mine is involved with a nootropics startup. He created a coupon code for me so I could share with you guys:

truBrain
code: truNumus

That gives you a 15% discount. I receive no kickback or commission for this. I just figured I'd share since it's an easy way to get into nootropics without having to do a lot of (expensive) trial and error to figure out a decent stack.

The blend they have there is pretty similar to what I take now, and it's actually cheaper and more convenient than ordering them all separately. And it's a hell of lot more convenient than ordering a bunch of strange powders from a stranger on ebay and trying to choke those down 2-3 times a day.

Great share awkwardgenius, I am sure a multitude of subscribers to this thread will find this very helpful, thanks for this!

awkwardgenius

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 28, 2012
Southern California
Great share awkwardgenius, I am sure a multitude of subscribers to this thread will find this very helpful, thanks for this!

Happy to help. Stuff has changed my life, and I hope noots become more accessible as time goes on. Unfortunately, things aren't looking good from a regulatory standpoint, but for now, this is a really good way to ease into that world without having to spend a month researching, guessing, and buying from sketchy chinese suppliers like I did. :p

The stack they've put together is a really solid starting point, and if you want to tweak it by adding other stuff later, as you become more familiar, you can. I plan on taking this, as well as bacopa and of course, my normal caffeine intake. May also pop the occasional modafinil as well, of course. :)

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Yeah I started off the exact same way by using a pre-made stack and then added additional things on until I eventually dropped the pre-made and only used individual supplements

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Well here is my two-week update from a new Piracetam user. My dosage has been 1600mg of Piracetam 2x per day, with 310mg of choline bitartrate in the AM (and occasionally another in the PM).

I like it! It has not been a mind-blowing experience but I think there are significant benefits that I can notice. It's hard to describe exactly, or with certainty that it's caused by the Piracetam, because there are other factors like changes in my coffee routine etc. but my subjective experience is enough that I am going to keep using and experimenting with these types of products.

I'm also going to try modafinil, but definitely not planning to make that a regular thing because it seems there's more potential downside w/ that, compared to the racetams? It seems to me that Piracetam is improving my subjective experience (I can't measure cognitive enhancements like they'd do in clinical trials, so I could be benefiting in that area but uncertain of it) and possibly my productivity, but modafinil is maybe more likely to result in measurable results in terms of sheer productive output?

Awkwardgenius, when I need to replenish my Piracetam supply I might make use of that coupon code to your friend's site, thanks for that!

PS. wanted to suggest that, even though it's not a nootropic per se, it might be worth looking into trying chocolate made from a high percentage of cacao (usually spelled cacao, not the common cocoa, but it might even be the same thing). Not a Snickers bar but a high quality source. That stuff makes my brain happy and almost euphoric, can literally feel my brain being uplifted and elevated, but people's mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.