The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Non-Disclosure / Non-Compete Agreement For Prospective Partner(s)

+METHOS

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 1, 2010
I would like to approach a couple of people to discuss a business idea and the possibility of partnership. However, before doing so, I would like to protect myself with a NDA/NCA agreement.

My questions are as follows:

• Will I need/Should I consider both documents - or will a simple NDA suffice?
  • Most of these general forms are freely available and can be downloaded via the internet from varying websites/sources - anyone have any recommendations regarding source and/or willing to supply one that fits the aforementioned criteria?
  • Should my State of residence be considered prior to seeking out, both, NDA and NCA forms?
Thank you.
-M

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Re: Non-Disclosure / Non-Compete Agreement For Prospective Partne

Actually, I wouldn't bother with either. Non-disclosure and non-compete agreements are fairly useless when it comes to protecting your ideas. For instance, when it comes to non-compete agreements, some states don't even recognize them, like California for instance, so if someone signs a non-compete agreement with you and starts a competing business immediately in California, there's nothing you can do about it because California law will always side with them. Also, non-disclosure agreements almost never hold up in court either.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN

They cost you nothing to do, and won't hurt. They are more a prevention rather then a remedy. If you don't have someone sign, then you are basically inviting them to commit shenanigans. If you are dealing with a current/future competitor make them agree to swapping equal information. Many competitors use financial firms to inquire about others for acquisition and they gain tons of good info.

+METHOS

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 1, 2010

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city

you need a non compete drafted by an attorney customized for your exact entity.
a generic NDA is worthless... very easy to get around it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.