The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

NLP: B.S. or The Real Deal?

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
I'm interested to know your guys and girls' experience with NLP. I've heard several people rave about it and several say its quackery.

It's piqued interest, but I tend to only want to go with scientifically backed things and I've read quite a bit of negative reviews from skeptics and the scientific community.

Not sure what think. If anyone has experience with nlp, please share your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm interested to know your guys and girls' experience with NLP. I've heard several people rave about it and several say its quackery.

It's piqued interest, but I tend to only want to go with scientifically backed things and I've read quite a bit of negative reviews from skeptics and the scientific community.

Not sure what think. If anyone has experience with nlp, please share your thoughts. I appreciate it.

If it helps you get the results you want, then who cares what skeptics believe?

There's no scientific backing to NLP. It's purely observation & application by intelligent minds.

Read a book / watch some videos on YouTube and experience it for yourself.

Some people may be skeptical, but Tony Robbins and Jordan Belfort have money in the bank that says different.

P.S. I use it in copywriting.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

By the way, what criteria have to be met for you to consider NLP "The Real Deal"?

As a practical example - virtually every day someone on the forum asks a random question looking for help. It's extremely vague and nobody knows wtf they're really getting at:
- Should I use Google?
- Should I make a website?
- Are paid Ads good?
- Does NLP work? ;)

Soon a more experienced member comes along and asks very specific questions such as:
- What specifically do you want to accomplish?
- What exactly are you trying to achieve?
- Who is your target market?
- What service do you offer?
- What specific goals do you have?

Specific questions help the OP gain great clarity when they take the time to carefully consider what's being asked.

So in this sense, NLP is the real deal since:

Vague Questions = The Milton Model
Specific Questions = The Meta Model
The Meta & Milton Models = Techniques of NLP

This gets to the core issue of what NLP really is. It's a bunch of tools for empowerment. Those tools help us create clarity in our own lives and the lives of others. Most people think the purpose is to influence or manipulate others, especially readers of "The Game", but in reality NLP fails when it doesn't come from a place of enlightenment and positive purpose.

True influence starts with a desire to help someone solve a problem, and this is the part 99% of the world skips.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
I'm a big fan of NLP. It got me out a pretty bad place years ago and ever since using it I've been able to direct myself purposely.

Think of this sentence.

Danny bit the dog
The dog bit Danny

The same words, just a different order, but it's a completely different meaning.

NLP helped me put the words/thoughts in the correct order to drive me rather than limit me.

Mass

Last edited:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
If you rely on NLP to do all the work for you, I would say it is B.S.

But if you use it to change your belief system in ways that it helps you to see things in a way that you actually take action towards your goal, it can be very helpful. And of course you can use it for your copy writing and marketing.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It's not the magic bullet you're probably thinking it is.

Neuro Linguistic Programming at it's base is the study of how the words we choose affect our psychology -- and then using that knowledge as a form of therapy to work through your inner conflicts and emotional blocks.

If you had an "issue" you wanted to work through and/or get some closure on and went to see...

A Freudian psychologist: they would listen to you, ask questions, and generally steer everything back towards your relationships with your mother and father... (in my humble opinion, the shittiest of therapy)...

A Primal Scream practitioner: they would get you to channel your anger/frustration/emotion towards an inanimate object and express what you're really feeling without holding back in the hopes it will be tension releasing...

A Hypno-therapist: they would put you into a relaxed state or what we call a "trance" in order to make subtle suggestions that will generally change they way you think and feel about things...

An NLP practitioner: (similar to hypno-therapy) will essentially talk you into a trance as well and get you to start changing the words you used to describe everything going on around you and then use leverage as a way to "push" the changes that you want to make but haven't been able to.

Here's the massive massive disclaimer and my personal opinion in the field:

If someone says they know NLP they don't know shit. They have watched a couple youtube videos of other people (who also don't know anything) and say they've studied it.

If someone says they are certified in NLP, it's usually possible but MANY of the certified "professionals" I've met have never produced change in themselves let alone anyone else.

If someone is ACTUALLY a serious NLP practitioner there's a good chance they are bat-shit crazy. NLP became somewhat of a cult in the early 90s. A very strong "this is the only answer to all things in the world" attitude.

That being said Richard Bandler and John Grinder are geniuses in the field of practical therapy. They've pulled things off that very few people have even today. I've studied the vast majority of their work because I'm obsessed with the personal development and therapeutic arenas but holy hell are their text books hard to get through.

Here's a short clip of Richard:

If you want to fart around for hours and procrastinate business here's a long list of his seminars:

Finally, if you're actually serious about improving yourself for an actual reason:

I love personal growth so you don't need a reason to grow...

But my guess is you're asking this question here because you think NLP will give you something you don't have in order to achieve ____________ or it will get you to take _________________ action that you're procrastinating on right now.

It seems most people on this forum thinks watching NLP videos will make them successful.

No. Stop it. Cut it out. It's a form of therapy. Do you want to be a therapist? Yes? Ok, then study it! If you don't want to be a therapist start asking what you're trying to achieve and figure out a better way to do it!

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

We all get lost once in a while and start looking for answers. But right now it appears your looking for answers without even knowing what question you're really asking.

What are you trying to achieve (goal)? Then we can talk about vehicles (like NLP) for getting there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
NLP is neither science nor quackery.

It is practiced however by legitimate practitioners and by quacks.

NLP can be very effective if practiced in a professional way by people with deep knowledge of the workings of the mind. All the billionaires and multi-millionaires of this planet that have revealed their success formula use NLP like techniques in one way or the other, many times without even knowing it.

It's useless however if used by those who assume it's like waving a magic wand or by those who think it's quackery to begin with.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I have to laugh because I watch those NLP videos etc, and books, but really most of it I learned else where. I think a lot of it stems from Eastern Philosophies originally, and then who ever invented NLP added their own flavor to it and said, they came up with it. I notice this also with sports psychology and visualization etc. A lot of Americans and Entrepreneurs do this, they dig for stuff, rename it to fit certain populations so it's acceptable to a certain niche.

It's fascinating when you study things all over the place for five years and dig through the piles of information on topics. And notice discrepancies in timelines and when something was created, and nope. It was actually created centuries ago. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.