The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help Please...Syndication Advice on Real Estate $2.5M Hotel Deal

newdynasty

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 31, 2016
I've purchased quite a number of multi-family and SFR homes in the past few years and have been wanting to buy a hotel for some time now. The upsides seems higher, but of course that brings with it higher risk and more headaches. Luckily for me I'm ok with that, but I prefer to bring a partner onboard to help with the downpayment and/or operations.

I found a good deal in Palms Springs, CA for a 9-room boutique hotel that has a lot of potential for upside through updates and expansions, increasing cashflow substantially, and also providing the opportunity to then refinance and pull cash out. Its current NOI is about $70k and they claim NOI is low because of lower occupancy rates during the pandemic. Market research confirms that occupancy rates have been lower than pre-pandemic levels, but are still moving up toward pre-2020 levels, so increasing NOI should be fairly easy. The bigger play here is expanding, updating rooms, increasing daily rates, and expanding marketing to increase occupancy rates. This would add tremendous value to the property in addition to increasing NOI and cash flow.

My question is, what type of creative structures could I offer to someone who puts up the 20% down payment? I was thinking a Kevin O'Leary type of deal where they receive their money back first and also receive either a fixed interest rate for a set number of years, an equity position, royalty from each booking, or a percentage of NOI each quarter.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a fair, but yet enticing offer would be to someone who puts up the 20% down payment on this? Also, feel free to reach out to me directly if you're interested in joining me on this deal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg Behnke

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 22, 2012
Scottsdale Arizona
When looking at syndications and doing due diligence, you are trying to get to No or find a red flag so you can disqualify the asset. You've already identified one. Are you able to look past it?

newdynasty

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 31, 2016
When looking at syndications and doing due diligence, you are trying to get to No or find a red flag so you can disqualify the asset. You've already identified one. Are you able to look past it?
Yes. I think there is more upside that outweighs the downside

gpetukhov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 24, 2022
I think preferential equity for the contributing equity investor - i.e he gets paid a certain return after which you split the profit

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.