The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Sales job

Anything related to matters of the mind

thelastsurvivor

New Contributor
Feb 28, 2022
I am starting a new sales job and im excited to make money though I am not used to such a competitive environment just used to doing a good job and getting things done at my old job. Anyone know any good books or mindsets I should have going into this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Lots of sales books will gaslight you into thinking you will succeed based on how good at sales you are.

Your gut knows better, but salespeople keep believing the lie.

The company tells you to be better because they produce the leads, and your value to them is your potency, how many chances you take advantage of. Your closing rate.

You can improve a little bit. But you will succeed based on how much volume you get.

They don't want you to think this, but it's true.

List out all of the creative actions you can take that could turn into a deal.

Selling cars:

- If the cars aren't on facebook marketplace put them on yourself, label the price as "$/week" like in financing

- Call every craigslist car for sale and offer to buy it from them for a great deal as a trade in.

- Collect a list of every person who's an orphan customer who's salesperson left and then reach out using automation to every single one.

- Send a card to every single person you collect info from every single month. Use your own system to record details about them

- Go to lunch with a new salesperson from each dealership until you know everyone, treat them like customers, send people to them when they don't have the car they want at your dealership, they will return the favor and it's magnified when you know all of them.

- Change your personal social life. Go out to every single bar, club, party, etc. with a bunch of new people each night. Be fun and social, and they ask what you do and you say "I sell cars let's get you in one" and you get leads that way. Rinse and repeat, and put them in your list of people getting cards from you each month.

- And of course focus on getting the most opportunities with walk-ins as humanly possible. Be prospecting nonstop but have a desk with a view of the lot and then go approach every single person immediately whos showing up.

So that's what you do, you focus on the prospecting and volume and then keeping yourself at the top of everyone's mind.

Apply this to your industry and become a sales machine. Do things differently.

• Banned

thelastsurvivor

New Contributor
Feb 28, 2022
Lots of sales books will gaslight you into thinking you will succeed based on how good at sales you are.

Your gut knows better, but salespeople keep believing the lie.

The company tells you to be better because they produce the leads, and your value to them is your potency, how many chances you take advantage of. Your closing rate.

You can improve a little bit. But you will succeed based on how much volume you get.

They don't want you to think this, but it's true.

List out all of the creative actions you can take that could turn into a deal.

Selling cars:

- If the cars aren't on facebook marketplace put them on yourself, label the price as "$/week" like in financing

- Call every craigslist car for sale and offer to buy it from them for a great deal as a trade in.

- Collect a list of every person who's an orphan customer who's salesperson left and then reach out using automation to every single one.

- Send a card to every single person you collect info from every single month. Use your own system to record details about them

- Go to lunch with a new salesperson from each dealership until you know everyone, treat them like customers, send people to them when they don't have the car they want at your dealership, they will return the favor and it's magnified when you know all of them.

- Change your personal social life. Go out to every single bar, club, party, etc. with a bunch of new people each night. Be fun and social, and they ask what you do and you say "I sell cars let's get you in one" and you get leads that way. Rinse and repeat, and put them in your list of people getting cards from you each month.

- And of course focus on getting the most opportunities with walk-ins as humanly possible. Be prospecting nonstop but have a desk with a view of the lot and then go approach every single person immediately whos showing up.

So that's what you do, you focus on the prospecting and volume and then keeping yourself at the top of everyone's mind.

Apply this to your industry and become a sales machine. Do things differently.
got fired lmao the dude i was shadowing was upset i was too direct when he was too soft and wasnt getting any sales and i told him that and he got upset and told our manager and fired me.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
got fired lmao the dude i was shadowing was upset i was too direct when he was too soft and wasnt getting any sales and i told him that and he got upset and told our manager and fired me.
Social skill problem, be polite, nice and funny and then perform well on your own sales. Let other salesman suck at his job.

It’s not your job to train him, if he’s too soft then his sales will suffer and you owe him no guidance.

As a boss I fire people who come in and start problems. If nobody is fighting, then I hire a new guy and there’s fighting, new guy is gone. I don’t want drama, I want to be out jet skiing and not get any calls from anyone.

Ideal attitude is a bit of stupid innocence at first and don’t rock the boat, show them you play well with others and take directions well, 0.00% attitude. Nothing. Then get to work and as you settle in, release the brakes and put up numbers. Keep to yourself and make your money. Become the favorite because you stay first on the board. No need to share any tricks, but don’t act like you’re not helpful, just say “the secret is following the sales training from the managers”.

Then you can be arrogant.

• Banned

thelastsurvivor

New Contributor
Feb 28, 2022
Social skill problem, be polite, nice and funny and then perform well on your own sales. Let other salesman suck at his job.

It’s not your job to train him, if he’s too soft then his sales will suffer and you owe him no guidance.

As a boss I fire people who come in and start problems. If nobody is fighting, then I hire a new guy and there’s fighting, new guy is gone. I don’t want drama, I want to be out jet skiing and not get any calls from anyone.

Ideal attitude is a bit of stupid innocence at first and don’t rock the boat, show them you play well with others and take directions well, 0.00% attitude. Nothing. Then get to work and as you settle in, release the brakes and put up numbers. Keep to yourself and make your money. Become the favorite because you stay first on the board. No need to share any tricks, but don’t act like you’re not helpful, just say “the secret is following the sales training from the managers”.

Then you can be arrogant.
I was doing it on my own and following the script and he would always barge in and say hey dont say this do this instead. Following his way. And in the beginning i allowed it as I am new but during sales training they wanted me to go more direct and lead more and his general attitude was soft and he even said he was emotional (got kicked out of school for fighting). I see a brighter future without this company so im fine but it annoyed me that he told the supervisor I wasnt listening just cause he had his own issues with me. He got ZERO sales the time I was there for the three days and I told him Id rather be direct and get Nos and Yes from the beginning then pvssy footing around talking to them eventually leading to a no wasting both parties time. Ugh.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I was doing it on my own and following the script and he would always barge in and say hey dont say this do this instead. Following his way. And in the beginning i allowed it as I am new but during sales training they wanted me to go more direct and lead more and his general attitude was soft and he even said he was emotional (got kicked out of school for fighting). I see a brighter future without this company so im fine but it annoyed me that he told the supervisor I wasnt listening just cause he had his own issues with me. He got ZERO sales the time I was there for the three days and I told him Id rather be direct and get Nos and Yes from the beginning then pvssy footing around talking to them eventually leading to a no wasting both parties time. Ugh.
Yeah I’m sure you did nothing wrong and got fired. Everyone else’s fault. Bummer bro

maras2137

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 19, 2021
Same problem, i got salesman job. No one do this before im company. I get a telephone with 500+ contacts. What i can do? Start selling? Only do this telephone calls? Just it? And will be right when i do right with my emotions?
I had "hand free" and i can do everthing for sale, am scarry as F*ck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.