The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New retail franchise, good idea?

Idea threads

Mickfrom

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm a 34 year-old IT from France, now living in Luxembourg, where we can have a pretty high income (for the slow lane), up to 36 days of paid holidays and sometimes very "attractive" packages, diverting us all the more easily from the fast lane, even though the price for a living there is terribly high as well...

I read MJ's fastlane book last week, and I must say it's the first time I ever read a book that fast, and despite some conflicting views regarding the context (American and European societies have very different systems, constraints and opportunities, for i stance I have no debt for my 5 years of IT studies, as it was nearly for free), the core idea remained perfect.

I first had plenty of ideas about useful things that could make a difference, but in most cases getting the required knowledge would definitely require a decade or so, or it was just not respecting too many of the fast lane laws...

Then in my neverending list, I thought about some retail franchise that I really like, but which website is seriously horrible to use despite nice graphics, and with an efficiency that might clearly be improved with a more ingenious system.

Now I know the "I don't know how" sentence is no excuse to start, but I'm wondering if it would be worth taking that orientation or better move on to the next idea:

About the need: it's something people will always need, and that they will want more and more.
About the impact: once launched and if the clients are satisfied, I believe it could easily be spread through Europe and overseas.

About my actual knowledge: I'm no frontend developer but I started some tutorials on Angular, with a good developer background. I'm fluent in French and English, with contacts throughout the world who might help me prospecting for opening new shops in the mid/long term. I'm also a project manager in the assurance industry, so I have some leadership and practical knowledge that might help.

What do I lack & need?

- Financial resource to open a "POC" shop.
- Angular is pretty recent and I haven't coded much in the last few years --> time to study.
- I would need partnerships with producers although I don't know yet how to create my network --> time to study + prospect.
- I have no legal knowledge yet on how to create my company --> time to learn about this.

On the other hand, the covid crisis did hurt many businesses, and some places might be more easily open for rent by the time I'm ready.

All considered, it feels like I'd be a long way from getting there, as I'd need a couple years to acquire the missing knowledge, define the website and the whole optimised processes (that would be the core of the franchise), and some savings I can currently hardly make.

I might have ways of working less as a consultant and hence saving a lot of time for my project, but then I'll also lack the initial funds to make it.

Last but not least, I believe that my concept could "hit hard", but no idea how much it would take (time + funds) to get there.

Does that sound too big/risky to start on my own? Should I try to look for a partnership with an existing retailer to create the franchise together?

Kind regards
Mickaël

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I thought about some retail franchise that I really like, but which website is seriously horrible to use despite nice graphics

I'm sorry , is the business model to open one of the retail franchises or get into web site development?

Mickfrom

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 22, 2020
I'm sorry , is the business model to open one of the retail franchises or get into web site development?
The idea is to develop the entire IT system to support the retailers, and then launch my own franchise based on the inherent processes.

Adir Barak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 20, 2020
If you think saving capital would take too long in your country, consider moving to a cheaper country (I'm not sure how it works but I think EU lets you move from one to another pretty easily(?))

on top of that, don't plan to sit and learn for 2 years, act as soon as you can, learn each step of the process and tackle it on a step by step basis, it would not only be more efficient but will also give you the drive to continue imo.

anyway it sounds really promising, keep us updated :)

Mickfrom

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 22, 2020
on top of that, don't plan to sit and learn for 2 years, act as soon as you can, learn each step of the process and tackle it on a step by step basis, it would not only be more efficient but will also give you the drive to continue imo.
Thanks for the support :)
I believe I might need a week or so to learn the required technology, 3 weeks to define the core model, structure and design (at least the headlines), but what will take years is the development of the system itself.
For the missing information, I have a long part of exchanges with existing businesses to understand more about the requirements and existing issues, whilst most of my solutions are first client oriented (as I'm a good one), then intend to ease the shops efficiency (interesting exchanges planned), and last but not least offer much more support and planning to providers.
If it really takes too long, I'm sure the approach can be readapted to other fields, although I'm targeting a very specific market.

By any chance would anyone have advices on how a franchise should be created? I have my source, but any hidden hint would be good to know ;)

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
About the need: it's something people will always need, and that they will want more and more.
About the impact: once launched and if the clients are satisfied, I believe it could easily be spread through Europe and overseas.
I think you should validate these hypotheses, First before you move to another step.

Mickfrom

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 22, 2020
I think you should validate these hypotheses, First before you move to another step.
I have a few mentors with whom I'm about to share the ideas, they said they'd do everything to tear them down, and if something remains, it would be a good basis to start working on.
Two have just launched their own business and they already have some interested customers, with a good expansion potential. The third is a HP who was leading IT services in big banks and who also has a very critical approach on how to validate projects. All totally entrusted, the latest potentially a valuable partner for this adventure.
I'm hoping to have something sufficiently concrete and detailed to show them in the few weeks to come...

Then, worst case scenario, I'll just get back to square 1 and think over how similar ideas could make a real and worthy difference. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.