The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a good idea?

Idea threads

Master K. Stone

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 21, 2017
Edmond, Oklahoma
Hello, everyone-

Was hoping to rely on the expertise of the Fastlane members to help with idea evaluation.

Idea: Long-body landscaping shirts for z-turn mower operators. (Long body means the torso section of the shirt would be longer than regular shirts).

How the idea came about: I've been a z-turn mower operator for the past three years. I problem I always ran into was grass clippings getting down my pants and into places where the sun doesn't shine. This would be hell to endure and many a time it caused much discomfort. I figure I'm not the only one who has gone through this problem. It's a simple fix just get a longer shirt that does not give the clippings an opportunity to get down your pants.

I've read some of the gold and notable threads concerning online retail. They say to search on Amazon and it seems no one is selling anything like this. This could be good or bad.

I would add other value skews as well, but I want to evaluate the feasibility of the idea first.

Let me know if you have any feedback.
Thanks
MKS

PS: Attached picture below.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Long body.jpg
    Long body.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 24

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
A tee shirt with a body that long just looks stupid. It looks like a mini dress and is the sort of thing you see sashaying down a Parisian catwalk but nowhere else. (For men that is)

This might sound novel but why couldn't you tuck your shirt in if you were 'Enduring Hell' as you put it?

I think you are trying to solve a non existant problem.

Dan

Master K. Stone

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 21, 2017
Edmond, Oklahoma
A tee shirt with a body that long just looks stupid. It looks like a mini dress and is the sort of thing you see sashaying down a Parisian catwalk but nowhere else. (For men that is)

This might sound novel but why couldn't you tuck your shirt in if you were 'Enduring Hell' as you put it?

I think you are trying to solve a non existant problem.

Dan
Thanks for your insight.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
It's just mine remember :smile2:

By the way. How is this machine you are on managing to throw grass up into you as the driver? Is that not something to look into? Is there a design element lacking? Grass guards - like mudguards?

It's good that you are looking at what is infront of you with your thinking cap on. That's how most breakthroughs occur. eg Dyson (billionaire vacuum cleaner chappie) was working on a building in his garden I think from memory and found it awkward to manoeuvre his wheelbarrow. So he changed the wheel to a ball and then he could swivel it around no problem.

Well the ballbarrow as he called it didn't take off but he then spotted his wife vacuuming and applied the ball to that. Result!!

Dan

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Hello, everyone-

Was hoping to rely on the expertise of the Fastlane members to help with idea evaluation.

Idea: Long-body landscaping shirts for z-turn mower operators. (Long body means the torso section of the shirt would be longer than regular shirts).

How the idea came about: I've been a z-turn mower operator for the past three years. I problem I always ran into was grass clippings getting down my pants and into places where the sun doesn't shine. This would be hell to endure and many a time it caused much discomfort. I figure I'm not the only one who has gone through this problem. It's a simple fix just get a longer shirt that does not give the clippings an opportunity to get down your pants.

I've read some of the gold and notable threads concerning online retail. They say to search on Amazon and it seems no one is selling anything like this. This could be good or bad.

I would add other value skews as well, but I want to evaluate the feasibility of the idea first.

Let me know if you have any feedback.
Thanks
MKS

PS: Attached picture below.
Well done for spotting a problem that is relevant to you. What bothers me about this, is that a long t-shirt seems like such a simple fix that the barriers to entry to this business are basically zero. This suggests that if you were to start a business in this area and have some success, that competitors would pile in and drive margins to almost zero. I assume that long body t-shirts already exist for tall people. An example would be the website 2tall.com which supplies clothing for tall individuals.
So it seems to me that your idea is to suggest that z-turn mower drivers wear extra long t-shirts for tall people whilst they are working to solve this problem. In this case the product already exists and so I don't think that your idea has enough of a value add or enough barriers to entry to be a great business idea.
Take heart that by looking for problems you are exercising an entrepreneur mindset.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
This sounds like a really niche problem, with a solution that already exists. I wouldn't waste time and effort in building a business around it. Let's be honest, how big do you think a business could be that sells long t-shirts, marketed to people who mow lawns?

If you are going to play the game, take shots that can scale.

Master K. Stone

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 21, 2017
Edmond, Oklahoma
This sounds like a really niche problem, with a solution that already exists. I wouldn't waste time and effort in building a business around it. Let's be honest, how big do you think a business could be that sells long t-shirts, marketed to people who mow lawns?

If you are going to play the game, take shots that can scale.
Well done for spotting a problem that is relevant to you. What bothers me about this, is that a long t-shirt seems like such a simple fix that the barriers to entry to this business are basically zero. This suggests that if you were to start a business in this area and have some success, that competitors would pile in and drive margins to almost zero. I assume that long body t-shirts already exist for tall people. An example would be the website 2tall.com which supplies clothing for tall individuals.
So it seems to me that your idea is to suggest that z-turn mower drivers wear extra long t-shirts for tall people whilst they are working to solve this problem. In this case the product already exists and so I don't think that your idea has enough of a value add or enough barriers to entry to be a great business idea.
Take heart that by looking for problems you are exercising an entrepreneur mindset.
You guys are great. I now see I need more vision. I appreciate your feedback!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.