The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Product Idea but Out Dated

Idea threads

curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 8, 2014
Ireland
So Basically I have this new product idea that is currently not out on the market in the way I have thought it up.

What is currently is in development do, is a smart version, such as a touch screen with widgets that will have much more options than my idea.

I'm a little confused on whether I should push ahead anyway or will I just be outdated when the competitor launches there product.

Has anyone ever been in this position before? would it be worthwhile pursing an idea that would have less functionality compared to competition in the future?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Sounds like you're going to be left in the dust when the idea comes out.

Unless you have a better angle I wouldn't pursue it.

Have you tested the idea on the market yet? V

curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 8, 2014
Ireland
Sounds like you're going to be left in the dust when the idea comes out.

Unless you have a better angle I wouldn't pursue it.

Have you tested the idea on the market yet? V

I haven't tested or built the product yet myself, just wanted to see if it has been done before by anyone?

The angle I am coming from is that my product should be cheaper to produce and so hopefully cheaper than any future better products as they will all the smart components. Or than that maybe the simplicity of the product.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
What I found out is that if price is your only determining difference, it's likely to fail. There will always be someone out there willing to drive even lower margins

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
So Basically I have this new product idea that is currently not out on the market in the way I have thought it up.

What is currently is in development do, is a smart version, such as a touch screen with widgets that will have much more options than my idea.

I'm a little confused on whether I should push ahead anyway or will I just be outdated when the competitor launches there product.

Has anyone ever been in this position before? would it be worthwhile pursing an idea that would have less functionality compared to competition in the future?

Have you talked to any potential customers yet? Verify that your twist on the idea is valuable to your potential customers.

Also, maybe your idea isn't a new widget similar to the one coming out, but a way to market it, or an addition to that platform.

BeDoHave

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Aug 6, 2014
Research what your competitors are developing and try do develop something better, otherwise it's only a matter of time before they launch and crush you. It's always a good idea to build your product or business with a projection in mind - think about where it is today and stretch your imagination to predict where it'll be 5-10 years from now.

Think of it like shooting a moving target - you must shoot where the target is going, not where it is.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.