The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Boardgame for Success

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
I see not too many people are posting on this thread, Oh well, eventually many will. Others write books or put on seminars; this is my book, my seminar. I created this thread not to just discuss my new board game (soon to be an online game) but to show all the steps I will be working to become a millionaire again. Oops, correction, MULTI-MILLIONAIRE.

I want all the great Fastlaners to see the steps I am taking in as much detail as I can to building this company, so here is what I've accomplished so far and what I plan for the near future:

1. First I conceptualized how I can share my and my few successful business partners knowledge in the most effective way.
  2. I came up with the idea of a game.
  3. I figured board games are fun and most people like them, but online is better.
  4. I decided to start with a board game for testing and then create the online version.
  5. 3 months later I have almost completed the game and in 2-4 weeks (time permitting) I will begin asking friends to play for feedback. No money spent at all so far! Just my time and it is fun.
  6. After the game is finished I will build my website for the "Learning Institute for Entrepreneurs." LIFE. The website will cost me less than $100 for the year. I am a Web Developer after all.
  7. Once the website is up, I will begin the marketing campaign by recruiting Fastlaners and others to join my website (community) for free. I will also create a well designed press release to announce my awesome game (and it is). Subscription will be free for the first adopters. Yes, this means you reading this.
  8. The subscription will be very affordable since my costs for the servers will very low. I will reveal COGS at the right time.
My hope here is to provide steps to aspiring Entrepreneurs to succeed and show how very possible it is with very real techniques I employ. I am also considering the creation of a blog to open this up to more people. MJ, my blog will have a link to this forum as a "thank you." Only with your permission, of course, I will ask when the time is right and the blog is finished. In case no one has figured it out, My passion is too teach the freedom of Entrepreneurship and empower those who are willing.

Side note: I have kinda buried this post in this thread on purpose to see who out their is really looking for this kind of information.

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
Servicefly, that's a great idea and could be better developed as a computer game. Have you ever played Capitalism 2 ? This is really old game and somehow limited but there is no game developed further than this for entrepreneurs. I have always dreamed/searched a computer game developed by entrepreneurs. Especcialy if this can be played online. I always feel that board games are too limited and everytime you kind of repeat the same thing.

Capitalism 2 has stock market and you can IPO your business. Sell stocks and buy stocks. You can buy an apartment and get ROI%. A lot more but much is limited. It was still fun to play.

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
I think and educational game for children would be good. My uncle wrote and published a book on finance for home schoolers at the request of my cousin who home schools her eight children. Yes, eight.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Lets say all the experts and Fastlaners with good ideas got together to create a boardgame like the Cashflow 101/201 (or is it 102?). How would our board game work. I'm thinking a few streets with stores, office spaces, cards with expenses and COGS, cards that represent orders, etc. I want hear everyone's ideas to build a boardgame to teach business success.

Who's got ideas?

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
interesting point there J_PAL, it seems like board games are almost obsolete, granted Cash Flow has been a success it seems everything from RK is.

The idea is to either make it as a board game or computer game, or think outside the box... BOTH!!!

I read in this month's Entrepreneur about a woman whose success story revolves around trying to help grandparents and grandkids relate to each other and thus her board game was created and has already become a success. Now if she made a computer game out of it as well(or just supplement the board game with a CD/DVD-ROM), then it would really close that gap in generations.

BTW are there any Sim games that are like Capitalism 2? You could say that the original, Sim City, has entrepreneurial premises to build a city(business) from the ground up and deal with all the challenges along the way.

You could even say that games like Monopoly and Life are investment games, if you can take the lessons learned from each game and apply them to real life.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Actually my motivation is to create an online game for teaching Entrepreneurship. All computer games need production planning. The best production planning for a learning game is to create a board game version. So, if we come up with a great board game, I can adopt it to an online game and include it in the Entrepreneur Online Institute I am currently developing.

So, who has ideas?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I had this discussion last year (might be here in a thread somewhere) about creating some sort of "Fastlane" game. It definitely is a brand extension option whenever my infamous book gets finished. I'd make it an extension of the book and the concepts I am trying to teach therein.

When I think about creating a game, it gets all very exciting! I like the idea of creating an online game where you can play with others from around the world.

MJ

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
PhxMJ,

You are the exact type of "Expert" I am looking for my online institute. If we collaborated I would have you advertise your book on our website for free. Anyway, that discussion is for the "My New Project" thread.

J_PAL,

I will look for Capitalism 2; just in case I can't find it, can you give me some details?

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Just my 2 cents ... Before any planning, make sure you develop a target audience first. If this is going to be a really in-depth, realistic-type of game then your target audience will definitely be small. The easier the terms and game play, the more wide your audience will be. Even looking at the Cashflow games, the more "general" populous seems to steer away as it contains some verbage and concepts that most people are not able to grasp. But, if your audience is for people who can play and enjoy to play Cashflow-types of games, then I think something a little more "advanced" may be a good path to go down. I like the Cashflow games, but feel a little constrained in what I can and cannot do (I have the computer game, so this is even more noticeable).

So, step #1 IMO would be define your target audience. Once you've done that then you can set about defining the game itself.

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific
The trick with any game like that is to have a complete virtual economy with dynamic market fluctuations real supply and demand. Honestly RTS video games like Rome Total War series, Civilizations series, or the like have these in place already though for a game your looking for you would want things to be more manual for the business side, Cost, overhead, markup, tax regulated buy the game with some type of algorithm. It’s an intriguing concept indeed.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
How about an online game based on capitalism and success in the tradition of Second Life, where it could become a complete and all consuming virtual world where Tycoons and created, and fortunes are won and lost?

Sounds like a pretty exciting project to me... Hmmm....

- Hakrjak

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
interesting point there J_PAL, it seems like board games are almost obsolete, granted Cash Flow has been a success it seems everything from RK is.

The idea is to either make it as a board game or computer game, or think outside the box... BOTH!!!

I read in this month's Entrepreneur about a woman whose success story revolves around trying to help grandparents and grandkids relate to each other and thus her board game was created and has already become a success. Now if she made a computer game out of it as well(or just supplement the board game with a CD/DVD-ROM), then it would really close that gap in generations.

BTW are there any Sim games that are like Capitalism 2? You could say that the original, Sim City, has entrepreneurial premises to build a city(business) from the ground up and deal with all the challenges along the way.

You could even say that games like Monopoly and Life are investment games, if you can take the lessons learned from each game and apply them to real life.

There is an interesting game called City Life. It's a game where you develop a city and control it. You start with small houses, get people to live in your town, collect taxes to build even bigger city.

Servicefly
I hope this helps there Capitalism II for PC - Capitalism II PC Game - Capitalism II Computer Game
Also, if you want to take closer look there is demo available.

It feel like I should start playing games again for an hour at least. Even the research has shown that people who have played computer games can make decisions faster (up to 85%)

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
The idea is to build up to a virtual environment. I am building this institute on my time and my dime. I will start with an online game based on a board game which I will generate. Virtual environments are extremely expensive.

The target audience has already been defined. People looking to start their own business and seeking training for such endeavors. The Web Marketing program I have planned out will successfully drive the target market to the website.

Board games are just as fun as online virtual games if they are designed right. Look at Monopoly, the online version is really the board game. I'm not talking about Monopoly Tycoon, which I enjoyed for a hot minute.

This game will be part of a larger picture. It will be a fun addition to the learning environment for my project (the Entrepreneurial Institute).

If possible I would like to stick to a boardgame 1st as to use this method for production planning. Who wants to play?

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I think and educational game for children would be good. My uncle wrote and published a book on finance for home schoolers at the request of my cousin who home schools her eight children. Yes, eight.

Wow this is one of the ideas I've come up with in the last few weeks of brainstorming, I kind of figured there was already one out there, but I feel it's something that if marketed properly could catch on like a storm... make it fun and educational and suddenly kids want this instead of a Tickle Me Elmo or a new video game system.

On top of that, the practical purpose is that it will help the next generation become more responsible and not fall into the credit trap their parents and grandparents have fallen into :smxE:

How this applies to servicefly's project is to appeal to a wider audience and possibly make this e-Entrepreneur U something that can also help parents teach their children responsibility, I'd be interested to know what ATW thinks about this? I really wish I grew up in that household b/c I'd be a certified fastlaner by now instead of aspiring to be one :yourock:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Lets say all the experts and Fastlaners with good ideas got together to create a boardgame like the Cashflow 101/201 (or is it 102?). How would our board game work. I'm thinking a few streets with stores, office spaces, cards with expenses and COGS, cards that represent orders, etc. I want hear everyone's ideas to build a boardgame to teach business success.

Who's got ideas?

Computer game first of all.
Some one mentioned Capitalism 1 and 2. I have played the first one. Some of that.
Cashflow 101/202, some of that.

But here is the knacker, why not throw in some of Roger Hamiltons Wealth Dynamics and the interaction between different kinds of wealth creation tactics?

Many computer games of today only focuses on one particular skill, like trading, starting a company etc. But what about creating a game that makes all kinds of skills involved like in the real life where you contact a broker to sell your business, where you contact marketers to promote your new hip product/service, where you contact the authorities to form a company structure etc etc. With me? Have it more real life and where people could act as the marketer, the startup entrepreneur, the broker etc etc and interact in real time action. That would be something I would play.

The game should not be hindered by any ends, more than if the players decide they should stop playing and decide to liquidate their companies or stop acting as brokers and instead learn the ropes of a marketer.

Willing to discus this further, because business games are really interesting to me. I can see a flourishing business modell if the game can be created as described above.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Why not form a joint corporation, invest a small amount each, hire a project manager and make a commercial venture out of this? We build the business plan jointly and let the PM do the actual day to day job of making the dream happen. Someone takes the role of CEO (decided upon by the shareholders).

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
What I love about playing Cashflow 101 is that it reveals my own personal belief systems about money, and shows me how these are holding me back, and allows me to "re-program" these limiting beliefs without the stress of using "real" money.

And I believe that this was Robert's intention when he created the game.

So, my tip would be to get clear about the intention of the game before going forward.

When you say...

The target audience has already been defined. People looking to start their own business and seeking training for such endeavors.

it doesn't seem focused enough.

For me the biggest struggle in being an entreprenuer has been to adjust from an employee mindset (me doing everything) to a scalable mindset (using other people or systems to go things) and being able to manage all that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to focus on the psychological experience (how are you going to create pressures that foster learning) rather than the technical aspects or even theme of the game.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
fanocks2003, that is the project I am building now. The game is part of my institute. I plan on building a virtual game (simulator) like vr4playa is saying. The cost of production is very high. I'd rather build a simpler game online, make profit from it than use the profit to build the Second Life or advanced version. My goal here is to build the team like fanocks2003 recommends for this project. I have also been approached by many to build a parents resource for their children's education. Each will be a separate website but cross promoting.

I want every aspect of the game to have different paths like Grand Theft Auto but better; however, once again the cost is huge. Imagine a team of 9 minimum developers each programming parts of the game. The cost is approximately $80 each which $720 per hour. Buffer the cost as all projects require and we are running $800 per hour in development costs. Now understand a 6 month dev. cycle at 60 hours per week. Formula: 30 weeks (6 month cycle with QA) at 60 hours per week (if not more) at $800 per hour= $144,000. That is just the developer team and it is the lowest cost for the core development. 99% of the time major tweaks need be implemented after QA feedback. Just take the entire cost and times it by 3.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Jonleehacker,

I am trying not to post my entire business plan in this thread. Our market for the game and the institute are people already committed to becoming Entrepreneurs who have or want the mindset change. The technicals are more important in this case. I disagree that the mindset is the objective as it will come with game play. I assure you that the market has been defined in our Marketing plan.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Update: My team and I have begun designing the boardgame which will eventually become a more extensive online game after it is played in the QA period as a board game.

So far the board will have a street scene with storefronts, office spaces, a Stock market building and various other places for tokens to be placed on. At the end of the street scene will be a perpendicular suburb with residential and commercial Real Estate places to own. In the elbow of the "L" shape will be the tracks for game piece movement so to allow for a winner of the race.

So far we have 5 avenues of business for any player to chose from:

1. Storefront / Brick & Mortar
  2. Stock market /Lending
  3. Web Business
  4. Product / Manufacturing (includes distribution and import/export)
  5. Services / Consulting
If any of you have suggestions on easier to understand names or think I should use more industry specific vocabulary, please let me know.

Any player will be able to utilize any or all business avenues based on their budgets. The game starts with a random selection of jobs (one card says layed off). Once you get your job card you may choose a different profession not picked as long as the wage /salary is less. The job card gives your paycheck amount. After the job is assigned each player picks 3 bill cards to represent credit cards and various expenses. Then each player must roll one die for car payment to be multiplied by $100. Next they roll one die to for rent to be multiplied by $200.

Now that jobs and bills are set, the players roll one die for savings (multiplied by $100). Each player has a personal budget sheet to help them keep them straight. The next step is to place one of the 6 same color pieces on the oval track of squares with writing. This would be called the fast track here in the forum. Another game piece of the same color will eventually be placed somewhere in the street scene to represent a business and the costs that go with it. Once a step towards a business is made, the player receives a company budget sheet (P&L). The steps for the business will be defined by spending money from savings, or by negotiating a partnership with another player, or financing a house, or financing a commercial property, or even getting VC funding.

On the board, a menu of items for marketing can be purchased by any player for their business or to get them started in their new venture. The menu will be specific to certain types of business but accurate. I.E. the website option will be available for $600 for any business type, but local yellow book advertising will be available only to storefronts, and local services/consulting, and residential Real Estate investment companies. Something like that.

Decisions made from scenarios on the fast track (writing in the squares) will gain players points to give them higher advantage toward business success. All of these scenarios will depend on the economic conditions cards (or feature). One square might give a player the opportunity to buy a house which will get generate a certain amount of equity based on the dice roll, only if the economic condition stays as is for two cycles of the track or something similar.

I hope this gives enough description to explain what kind of game I am building. I would love all of your feed back. Just understand one thing, it will become a board game first, then we will market test it until it is entertaining and educational enough for our standards, then I will sell it and use the profits to build an online version. Similar games exist now, but mine is to help all Entrepreneurs, not just investors or Real Estate Entrepreneurs. I want the Fastlane element as part of the education.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Update:

I now have developed 7 types of businesses in the game -

1. Web Based
  2. Store Front
  3. Micro kiosk
  4. Brick & Mortar
  5. Service / Consulting
  6. Real Estate Investment
  7. Stock Market Trading Investment (private fund)
There is a track around the board with different scenarios; how those scenarios are answered gives points or takes points. The point system is used to calculate customer base for each business. Employees can even be hired. More than one business can also be started and grown. I even through in a method for selling your company to the banker or another player.

It sounds complicated but I have found ways to make it simple and fun. Imagine a street scene in the middle of a 2ft by 2ft board looking straight down. Each type of business is represented by a structure. Web based is represented by an Internet Cafe. Surrounding the street scene is half residential Real Estate (suburbs) and half Commercial. The edges of the board are like the Monopoly board squares with specific scenarios (decision track). Finally two menus are printed on the board:

1. Business Structures -

• Sole Proprietorship
  • General Partnership
  • Limited Liability Corporation ("Company" in the game)
  • Incorporation
2. Marketing Items:

• Press Release
  • Trade Show Booth
  • Direct Mail
  • Marketing Firm / Sales Force (outsourced)
  • Miscellaneous Advertisements
  • Magazine /Trade Journal Ads
  • Radio Ads
  • TV Ads
I am just about to build the prototype for testing in 2 weeks. Get to play the actual game. Once it is finished, I will build the online version and charge a monthly subscription for access to the website with free playing ability for the game. So far it plays 2-12 people.

All Fastlaners posting on this thread will get free access when it is all published to the Web as a thank you for participating!

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Hey servicefly, I have always dreamed about an entrepreneurs' video game, the closest I've found is Capitalism II which like many said before is very limited and a bit unrealistic!
I've been following this thread, and I'm really looking forward to the release of your game, I'd love to see the final result, please keep us posted and when your product's finished I'd love to buy it and be member!
Good luck with your venture, you seem like a motivated person and you'll probably achieve much success!

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 28, 2008
Orchard Park, New York
I just read the thread and am in shook that it is going by so fast (developing) and congratulate you on your efforts so far. From what you have said so far, there is a lot of depth to this game and cant wait to try it. I already told a few of my friends about it who have played cashflow and cant wait to try this one also. Rep++

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just because no one is commenting, doesn't mean no one is reading. Sounds like you have it all thought out really well.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Keep up with the great progress! I can this being great for everyone, especially though young adults. :great:

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
MJ,

I know people are lurking, I have been in the Web Marketing industry too long to not know. I said what I said to gauge response as it helps me in my future marketing of my new website. I don't mean to be too manipulative, I just needed to get a measurement of sorts. Anyway, I have decided to build the blog and post entries like the posts in this thread with details. All Fastlaners who post in this thread will get a subscription for FREE. As promised I will be posting a link to this forum as a thank you. If you design a landing page, I will link to it.

Side note: I hate the color orange on a car, but damn if Lamborghini can't pull it off with class! Like the new addition MJ. I will own one soon.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Update:

I have purchased a hosting plan for a year (from myself). I am a reseller for Godaddy to keep costs down. I have installed Joomla for my website CMS. I have registered the domain name. I will give it out when I have the website in decent shape.

I have decided to build up the primary website with a blog and articles rather than my usual "Funnel System" as the primary website is a community website. In this case, a the "Funnel System" needs to be modified to drive traffic to the community rather than to purchase a product.

The game rules and strategies are finished, I am building a prototype to be played with a test market. This will hopefully assist in ironing out any bugs with the calculations and ratios involved in the game.

This is so much fun! Building a board game, playing it with friends, then developing it into an online game. Everything in my life has become a distraction (except my 3-year old daughter). Can't seem to move fast enough. Patience is a virtue, must remember that.

Ok, you caught me: The paragraph above while correct, Is my attempt to relay the emotions involved with this step. I have started many companies and see such emotions in a different light, but you new Entrepreneurs out there might find it comforting to hear another share the same emotions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.