The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some advice

MOW

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2021
Got a problem that I could use some advice on. A friend of mine runs a YouTube channel, but someone is using his copyrighted videos and bringing them to court has gotten him nowhere except broke. He wants to throw in the towel and let this person win even though it will keep him from making a living. What does he do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
The “he and him” used is a bit confusing.

MOW

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2021
need more details
The friend that runs the YouTube channel has gotten some of his content hijacked and the woman doing it won't settle for less than $500,000 (which my friend doesn't have) to stop using his content. He is losing money from both lost viewership and the lawsuit to try and legally force her to stop. He is about to give up hope because the whole thing has been highly stressful. Is there anything else that can be done? Some new strategy he can use to save his channel and therefore his income?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
The friend that runs the YouTube channel has gotten some of his content hijacked and the woman doing it won't settle for less than $500,000 (which my friend doesn't have) to stop using his content. He is losing money from both lost viewership and the lawsuit to try and legally force her to stop. He is about to give up hope because the whole thing has been highly stressful. Is there anything else that can be done? Some new strategy he can use to save his channel and therefore his income?
It would be good if you can specify in the legal part. What do you mean by “hijacked”?

MOW

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2021
It would be good if you can specify in the legal part. What do you mean by “hijacked”?
She is using his content to make money. This takes away from his income. When he sued to make her stop, she countered with the $500,000 settlement...which he can't afford.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
She is using his content to make money. This takes away from his income. When he sued to make her stop, she countered with the $500,000 settlement...which he can't afford.
Did she use it outside Youtube?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
No, and YT won't help.
Ya. Why would it affects his view since it is outside YT?

Why would be bother?

Is it one video or a series?

Is it on another platform where he could file copyright complaint (obviously he couldnt but you could elaborate more)

How is he 100 percent sure that his view dwindling is due to traffic increase outside YT?

Is the war even worth it?

More economics on that would help.

MOW

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2021
Ya. Why would it affects his view since it is outside YT?

Why would be bother?

Is it one video or a series?

Is it on another platform where he could file copyright complaint (obviously he couldnt but you could elaborate more)

How is he 100 percent sure that his view dwindling is due to traffic increase outside YT?

Is the war even worth it?

More economics on that would help.

It is on YT so it does affect his views.

It is an amount of content, not just one video.

To my knowledge, it is only in YT, and not on other platforms so that is something I will have to ask about.

This is his sole source of income, and he uses this to take care of his mom.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
It is on YT so it does affect his views.

It is an amount of content, not just one video.

To my knowledge, it is only in YT, and not on other platforms so that is something I will have to ask about.

This is his sole source of income, and he uses this to take care of his mom.
He does YT. The lady does YT. YT is very good in enforcing rules if both are in YT.

He can file a copyright claim and get all the advs revenue to him.

Or worst he chose to be nasty he could request for take down. A successful request will leave her a strike which could endanger her the existence of her entire channel.

There must be reason why he could not file the copyright claim successfully. He needs to share with you and be honest about it..or else it doesn’t add up.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
That's not how suing works.
"I sue you"
"oh yeah? well I'll settle for 500k lol"
"nooooooo. I can't afford that :("

It doesn't have to be expensive to go to court. Get a cheap lawyer and start reading a lot of law. For a business I was getting involved in I could've hired a lawyer to think for me, or I could've read The entire consumer leasing act, regulation m, the entire truth in lending act, and like 30 pages of the RCW. I spent a week reading since I didn't want to spend money on a lawyer.

You call up a lawyer and ask for a rough quote, if it's reasonable go ahead and hire them. You file a complaint, there's a court date, you go and show evidence of the financial damages, the judge signs off on a judgement against them and then you collect. If they don't pay, you can levy their bank accounts, seize assets, garnish wages, etc.

MOW

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2021
That's not how suing works.
"I sue you"
"oh yeah? well I'll settle for 500k lol"
"nooooooo. I can't afford that :("

It doesn't have to be expensive to go to court. Get a cheap lawyer and start reading a lot of law. For a business I was getting involved in I could've hired a lawyer to think for me, or I could've read The entire consumer leasing act, regulation m, the entire truth in lending act, and like 30 pages of the RCW. I spent a week reading since I didn't want to spend money on a lawyer.

You call up a lawyer and ask for a rough quote, if it's reasonable go ahead and hire them. You file a complaint, there's a court date, you go and show evidence of the financial damages, the judge signs off on a judgement against them and then you collect. If they don't pay, you can levy their bank accounts, seize assets, garnish wages, etc.
Thank you. That was actually helpful. When I talk to him next, I will mention your example. He may have to take the same approach. Thank you, again, for your insight.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.