The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Life Advice/Very Long Rant (Mid 30s, Live w/Parents)

A post of a ranting nature...

IlyaATL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Mar 26, 2019
No I would post on craigslist, talk to the business owners and tell them how to actually grow their business and what they need to do to achieve it, help them build a site if that’s what would help them the most, and then let them pay me a grand or two. I don’t even ask for money. I don’t say a word about cost unless they ask. All I care about is them and their business when I talk to them. They’re always happy to pay if you have good advice and want them to succeed. I’d do it myself because I enjoy it and I enjoy seeing business owners suck less and win more. I’d wake up, grab some drinks by the beach, surf a bit, ride a motorcycle around and then hike a bit, then around 2-3pm I’d contact leads and set up a time to talk over the phone and get on a call, consult them, and do any design or website work in the evening. Few hours of work, make a thousand or so, take the next day off and enjoy the sun some more. Who needs to work all day when your costs are under 2k an entire month maximum. You could work one week and do nothing else all month. I enjoy that work so I’d do it all month and save up some cash. A good way to spend a year or two or ten.

This is a good life for anyone that is content with freedom, enjoyment and a great lifestyle that they can enjoy starting next week for as long as they’d like.

I’m just building a different company because there’s different things that I want than to just be free. But for many it’s a great option.

Interested!

Could you expand more on it? Specifically as to how you would write those ads.

Currently in Thailand and doing web design.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Interested!

Could you expand more on it? Specifically as to how you would write those ads.

Currently in Thailand and doing web design.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Mediamousetrap.com is the site

And the posts are the most basic things ever just post something that sounds like a medium sized marketing and web design firm wrote it.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
@Quartz , are you interested in freedom, or just LAZY?
Johnny boy makes things look easy, but social skills as well as marketing intelligence can take years and extremely hard work to develop. Also, the idea of computer science sounds like a fantasy at this point. My advice is not to do it (I have 20 years of programming experience since age 9, and I've seen people coming out of bootcamps these days, as well as regular CS graduates.)
If you aren't predisposed to working in tech, it would take years of hard work to shift your thinking, causing you suffering, meanwhile increasingly more sophisticated software work will keep getting outsourced.

Everyone likes to follow the principles, and have everything for free. There's nothing special in wanting it; there's only something special in actually doing it. Every human being with a half-brain, who can comprehend the value of money, wants more money for less effort.

And of course you don't have business ideas, because you aren't doing much. You know nothing about entrepreneurship, so how can you be sure if it's for you. You are not sure about anything :) In terms of working with people who don't care for you, well, why should they care, if you have no passions? You are not a hot girl, as far as I can tell, you are not personable, so what value are you providing? Or are you taking value away by bringing negativity?

I'd say, go get a job. A 9-5 is very good discipline for people who can't discipline themselves. But get something that will push you, such as sales. Any kind of customer service job can be super-helpful for giving you more insight into people. Keep reading books, at least 1/month (e.g. look into Brian Tracy's "No excuses"). Have written goals, hold yourself accountable.

Meanwhile, go and experience things. Visit museums. Go to opera, ballet, theatre. Go to an amusement park and get a ride. Go to a park. Swim in a lake. Go to a bar and try talking to some women.

Stop being pathetic. Life has so much to offer! Ask other people, what they are passionate about. Go, take some yoga classes. Volunteer. That can be very powerful. Volunteer helping some sick and/or old people -- your training may also come in handy.
Perhaps then you'll realize, what a waste it is, living your life without passion.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Hello everyone, thanks for reading this. I've edited this for the past few hours, not sure if it is too long, or if it fits within the "Introductions" thread or not. Anyway here it is.

I'm not really sure what to do with the rest of my life. I suppose that's why I began reading "Millionaire Fastlane ". I'm currently 33 and live with my parents. I hate for this to be a sob story, but I consider myself a total F*cking loser. I'm very depressed. I was an officer in the US military for 4 years than left, (honorable discharge), to pursue medical school with the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This was a very bad decision, mainly because medical school is fiercely competitive and I had a terrible undergrad GPA, (2.89).

I thought because I was older, more mature, and knew what I wanted, that pursuing medical school would not be a problem. I enrolled in a post-baccalaureate program to fulfill the science prerequisites, (I was an English major), and did OK, earning two A's and two B's. I quit because the pressure to perform well was getting to me. Because of my low GPA, I would have to do VERY well on the MCAT and my post-bacc. I would do nothing all day but study for chemistry and I just barely earned a "B-". I have super bad test anxiety, and would "freeze up" on exams, forgetting most of the things I learned. Med school is unfortunately, all about how you perform on exams.

I quit my post-bacc program in 2017. For the past two years, I've basically done nothing with my life besides work as a lifeguard at a local pool. The management there hate me because they know I don't want to be there. I do whatever they ask me to do with no attitude, I'm just not a very fun person to be around right now. I'm in a really bad place. I'll admit it: I'm lazy, unfocused and very depressed.

"Millionaire Fastlane " is one of the best self help books I've ever read. I think one of the reasons why I haven't been more active in looking for a real, full time job/career was illustrated in MJ's book: the feeling of being a total slave to a job you hate, working only for a paycheck. I very much felt that way in the military, and I hated the day to day "grind", constantly looking up at the clock, wondering if I could leave, having all your free time sucked up by this job that you could honestly care less about, working with people who don't really care for you. I'm sure everyone on this forums experienced these feelings.

Ideally, I'd like to follow the principles illustrated by MJ in "Millionaire Fastlane ", however, I have the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which is 3 years of tuition assistance from the US federal government. Currently, I'm applying for a second bachelors degree in computer science. Honestly, deep down, I have no idea if this is really for me. I've taken online computer science classes through Udacity, but I'm just not sure if computer science is really the field I'd like to work in. I thought about getting an MBA, but my resume and grades are shit, so none of the top programs would accept me.

What are my passions? I honestly don't have any! I'm passionate about not spending 60+ hours at a job I don't care for, not spending hours stuck in traffic getting to my shit job, not working for a boss who I'd rather see roll over dead, eating clean, healthy, non contaminated food, staying out of debt, living in a safe community, and staying off prescription drugs that ironically deteriorate your health, rather than make it better.

I don't have any business ideas, and to be honest I'm not sure entrepreneurship is for me either. So why am I here? Because I love the idea of someday being free from the slavery of a 9-5 job, a boss breathing down your neck, and working with annoying coworkers. I'm not really interested too much in being rich, but more so, being free. I understand entrepreneurship is not easy, and that at times the 9 to 5 could look better.

Wow this is too long. I'm not sure what to do at this point. As you can tell, I'm quite lost and confused, and VERY jaded when it comes to the "working world". Can anyone identify at all with what I'm going through?

Sorry for the sob story.
Hello everyone, thanks for reading this. I've edited this for the past few hours, not sure if it is too long, or if it fits within the "Introductions" thread or not. Anyway here it is.

I'm not really sure what to do with the rest of my life. I suppose that's why I began reading "Millionaire Fastlane ". I'm currently 33 and live with my parents. I hate for this to be a sob story, but I consider myself a total F*cking loser. I'm very depressed. I was an officer in the US military for 4 years than left, (honorable discharge), to pursue medical school with the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This was a very bad decision, mainly because medical school is fiercely competitive and I had a terrible undergrad GPA, (2.89).

I thought because I was older, more mature, and knew what I wanted, that pursuing medical school would not be a problem. I enrolled in a post-baccalaureate program to fulfill the science prerequisites, (I was an English major), and did OK, earning two A's and two B's. I quit because the pressure to perform well was getting to me. Because of my low GPA, I would have to do VERY well on the MCAT and my post-bacc. I would do nothing all day but study for chemistry and I just barely earned a "B-". I have super bad test anxiety, and would "freeze up" on exams, forgetting most of the things I learned. Med school is unfortunately, all about how you perform on exams.

I quit my post-bacc program in 2017. For the past two years, I've basically done nothing with my life besides work as a lifeguard at a local pool. The management there hate me because they know I don't want to be there. I do whatever they ask me to do with no attitude, I'm just not a very fun person to be around right now. I'm in a really bad place. I'll admit it: I'm lazy, unfocused and very depressed.

"Millionaire Fastlane " is one of the best self help books I've ever read. I think one of the reasons why I haven't been more active in looking for a real, full time job/career was illustrated in MJ's book: the feeling of being a total slave to a job you hate, working only for a paycheck. I very much felt that way in the military, and I hated the day to day "grind", constantly looking up at the clock, wondering if I could leave, having all your free time sucked up by this job that you could honestly care less about, working with people who don't really care for you. I'm sure everyone on this forums experienced these feelings.

Ideally, I'd like to follow the principles illustrated by MJ in "Millionaire Fastlane ", however, I have the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which is 3 years of tuition assistance from the US federal government. Currently, I'm applying for a second bachelors degree in computer science. Honestly, deep down, I have no idea if this is really for me. I've taken online computer science classes through Udacity, but I'm just not sure if computer science is really the field I'd like to work in. I thought about getting an MBA, but my resume and grades are shit, so none of the top programs would accept me.

What are my passions? I honestly don't have any! I'm passionate about not spending 60+ hours at a job I don't care for, not spending hours stuck in traffic getting to my shit job, not working for a boss who I'd rather see roll over dead, eating clean, healthy, non contaminated food, staying out of debt, living in a safe community, and staying off prescription drugs that ironically deteriorate your health, rather than make it better.

I don't have any business ideas, and to be honest I'm not sure entrepreneurship is for me either. So why am I here? Because I love the idea of someday being free from the slavery of a 9-5 job, a boss breathing down your neck, and working with annoying coworkers. I'm not really interested too much in being rich, but more so, being free. I understand entrepreneurship is not easy, and that at times the 9 to 5 could look better.

Wow this is too long. I'm not sure what to do at this point. As you can tell, I'm quite lost and confused, and VERY jaded when it comes to the "working world". Can anyone identify at all with what I'm going through?

Sorry for the sob story.

Please cut yourself some slack for being so uncertain. It must be incredibly unpleasant and depressing, not to mention privately terrifying. You won't find your right livelihood by just guessing, That seems to be your sole reason for going to school. Time is too precious to waste on education you might never use.
It does sound like you don 't know how to find yourself.
Try Jack Canfield's Success Principles. The entreprenurial path might not match your personality style. You can develop the traits for it over time.
But for the time being your comments sound like those made by a person who is craving the sense of success.
Do you read comfortably? If not, is that getting in your way? You can get an evaluation to explore the possibility that you have an underlying learning disability. You can still get a medical degree if this is shown to be the reason why you can 't take standardized tests.
There is no timeline for you to follow which determines whether you're a great person or not. Never worry about how old you are. Some princes take a long time to grow up. Be gentle with yourself, instead of signing up for still another hard challenge to beat yourself up again and again.
Learning disability really means different learning styles. When you look for a job you will be seen as a positive addition not a marginal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...