The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need life advice

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
Hi Guys

I've been on these forums for some time now and I've learned a lot, and have also completed a lot of mental masturbation. I think at this point I have a PHD in mental masturbation. I really can't get my shit together.

My story, short form; went to university. That didn't work out for me, I had some family trouble that stressed me out, but also didn't care for it, which added to it. Worked a year. Went to college, finished top of my class in business and financial planning. Got a job immediately after I graduated - I fast tracked a 3 year program into 2 years - graduated August, started working in September.

I started with a major Canadian bank when I was 25 and I am now 29. I went from a "junior" sales role to a "senior" sales role - skipped the "intermediate sales role," which all the managers were "so impressed," holding the carrot infront of my face. You would think we are studying rocket science.

I feel I am trapped now. I make close to $70,000. I have about $100,000 saved up - my life savings. A fiance, and I am getting married soon, she has about $20k saved up. We live together, renting a place out. She also makes close to $70k.

I've read these forums backwards, forwards, all the big posters, trying to extract as much information as possible. Was an INSIDERS for a bit and got a bit of value out of that, but decided not to resub until I get my shit together. Right now I'm just reading and not doing anything of value.

Like I said, I feel trapped. This job.... trying to move on up to a higher position, but all I would be doing is trading one cell for another. But moving up is a challenge... they make it seem like you're applying for a position at Nasa. They want "super stars" so that I can make another $5,000 on top of my current salary/bonus/commission.. I really love my job, it's chill, I love my clients, but I hate the management team. I can't stand them. I don't know how they became managers, it doesn't make sense. I hate the sales goals, they don't make any sense and are not based in reality. I have no trouble reaching them, but I think it's stupid.

I feel like a mouse on a wheel.

I've been debating with myself for a while now, quit my job to become a mortgage broker. As all I do all day is sell mortgages and mutual funds, I've become quite good at these two things. I feel that I could be a successful mortgage broker and increase my income on my own... I am 100% salary now (with a small bonus and a bit of mutual fund commissions, but roughly all in equates to a salary take home of just under $70k), but I feel like moving to a commission based role were I can earn potentially unlimited sum of money is a better trade off..

See, today, I can go to work from 730 am and work hard until 7pm, KILL IT like a boss, but then still go home with my piddly salary.. I feel if I could do that as a broker I would kill it like a boss, but then also kill it in salary to.

Yeah, I want to quit my job and be fastlane, research business ideas, etc, etc... but I don't have ideas for starting online business that fall into the NEST commandments. AT least not yet. I don't think I am creative enough for that yet. I feel like I need a huge salary bump. If I can hit the $130,000 on my own, I feel I'll be able to start saving some real cash, have enough assets saved up that I could take a break from brokering - if needed, but at the same time I Would be running the show and essentially "running my own business" as a broker, so it would be a good foot in the door.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted35442

Hi Guys

I've been on these forums for some time now and I've learned a lot, and have also completed a lot of mental masturbation. I think at this point I have a PHD in mental masturbation. I really can't get my shit together.

My story, short form; went to university. That didn't work out for me, I had some family trouble that stressed me out, but also didn't care for it, which added to it. Worked a year. Went to college, finished top of my class in business and financial planning. Got a job immediately after I graduated - I fast tracked a 3 year program into 2 years - graduated August, started working in September.

I started with a major Canadian bank when I was 25 and I am now 29. I went from a "junior" sales role to a "senior" sales role - skipped the "intermediate sales role," which all the managers were "so impressed," holding the carrot infront of my face. You would think we are studying rocket science.

I feel I am trapped now. I make close to $70,000. I have about $100,000 saved up - my life savings. A fiance, and I am getting married soon, she has about $20k saved up. We live together, renting a place out. She also makes close to $70k.

I've read these forums backwards, forwards, all the big posters, trying to extract as much information as possible. Was an INSIDERS for a bit and got a bit of value out of that, but decided not to resub until I get my shit together. Right now I'm just reading and not doing anything of value.

Like I said, I feel trapped. This job.... trying to move on up to a higher position, but all I would be doing is trading one cell for another. But moving up is a challenge... they make it seem like you're applying for a position at Nasa. They want "super stars" so that I can make another $5,000 on top of my current salary/bonus/commission.. I really love my job, it's chill, I love my clients, but I hate the management team. I can't stand them. I don't know how they became managers, it doesn't make sense. I hate the sales goals, they don't make any sense and are not based in reality. I have no trouble reaching them, but I think it's stupid.

I feel like a mouse on a wheel.

I've been debating with myself for a while now, quit my job to become a mortgage broker. As all I do all day is sell mortgages and mutual funds, I've become quite good at these two things. I feel that I could be a successful mortgage broker and increase my income on my own... I am 100% salary now (with a small bonus and a bit of mutual fund commissions, but roughly all in equates to a salary take home of just under $70k), but I feel like moving to a commission based role were I can earn potentially unlimited sum of money is a better trade off..

See, today, I can go to work from 730 am and work hard until 7pm, KILL IT like a boss, but then still go home with my piddly salary.. I feel if I could do that as a broker I would kill it like a boss, but then also kill it in salary to.

Yeah, I want to quit my job and be fastlane, research business ideas, etc, etc... but I don't have ideas for starting online business that fall into the NEST commandments. AT least not yet. I don't think I am creative enough for that yet. I feel like I need a huge salary bump. If I can hit the $130,000 on my own, I feel I'll be able to start saving some real cash, have enough assets saved up that I could take a break from brokering - if needed, but at the same time I Would be running the show and essentially "running my own business" as a broker, so it would be a good foot in the door.
I have guys that started similarly in your shoes. On the lower end in Finance, they'd be peddling a cash advance to merchants which is a whole industry that is still unregulated by the SEC and probably has another half decade before it comes under scrutiny as it's vastly similar to loan sharking. On the higher end, I had friends buying/selling huge tranches of mortgage debt and getting into derivatives.

Both vastly different worlds. Mortgage broker could have some sweet upside since the market is still loose. If you care to know the basics of what my friend does.

You're doing the right thing right now though. Try to build something on the side before leaving your gig.

Daytraderz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 11, 2016
Virginia
Daivey, your mental masturbation needs to stop and you need a mental re-evaluation. I say this with the upmost respect, please don't take my bluntness for destructive scrutiny.

What I mean by this, is that you are in the wrong mind set to be approaching a business/entrepreneurial lifestyle. Sure, you can quit your current job and live off of the 100k you have saved up alone while getting into some different investment vehicles (like my favorite, and my suggestion for you to look into, is real estate investing in foreclosures and middle-income properties) to build your future from there and be financially free within 5 years (or take a different approach, quit your current job, and start up your own business for buying mortgages), but you don't have the attitude and mindset it takes (from what i've read in your posts) to be successful in doing this.

With today's technological advancements and platforms for raising money, building knowledge, and gaining connections, there is no reason why you cant start a successful business with close to nothing. I would suggest you read some books pertaining to wealthy mindsets and entrepreneurial mindsets. One of the thing's I have learned over the years through research and learning, is that there are a million of reasons why not to do something, and there is only a few good reasons to do something. The thing that sets us apart from other people in the world is because we look and search long and hard for the good reasons to do something where as most people cant see it. You need to be able to see your potential for growth in earnings and lifestyle. If you want to talk to me more about anything, just shoot me a pm.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
"I need life advice"

I don't think you need any more advice. You know too much already.

I make close to $70,000. I have about $100,000 saved up

What you need to do is take a small portion of that money and experiment with something. It can be anything your interested in. Just be ready to fail.

But when you fail, you are going to learn a lesson. A lesson that cannot be taught by reading, but by doing.

And when you learn that lesson, you are going to adapt. And your going to keep fighting until you win because losing is not an option.

That is how you free yourself

This will be the moment where you (the mouse) gets off the wheel...

I-want-more-goodbye-hamster-wheel-e1367475769167.jpg

J_Lock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Aug 27, 2015
Colchester
"I need life advice"

What you need to do is take a small portion of that money and experiment with something. It can be anything your interested in. Just be ready to fail.

But when you fail, you are going to learn a lesson. A lesson that cannot be taught by reading, but by doing.

This is great advice.
100k in savings puts you in a better position than most other aspiring entrepenuers.

Just do something.
Your simply facing a problem, its up to you to climb over, dig under or go around it.

Good Luck

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Every minute you spend in that office is draining your creativity, your ambition, and stifling your natural intelligence.

You sense the impending darkness which submerges you, and it's a black feeling of entrapment.

Consider this alternative perspective: you have spent years mastering the art of selling mortgages and mutual funds. This skill is actually incredibly valuable. Especially if you generate enough capital, trusting your own investment intuition -- you might have the makings of a capital investment firm, a hedge fund manager.

Recall a time in your life when you embraced boldness. How did it make you feel? Put yourself in that memory, visualize it like it was yesterday.

If you had no fear, no chance of failure, what would you do right now?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
Daytraderz and P3HSB hit the nail on the coffin.

"Mindset" & "Learning"

Your mindset needs to be in a special place. You have the resilience to work hard which is a great starting point. I've been there too, working sometimes 6:30am to 7pm daily, weekends were shot, didn't go out much, poor girlfriend didn't see me much. But in those times I started a B2B venture creating a SAAS product while going to work and doing everything else on the side that sidetracks you from starting your business. It was hard, but you need to be focused and in the right mindframe.

My mindframe at the time was this; stay positive, keep moving forward, don't give up and continue to read and learn and ask questions. Nothing was going to stop me from getting this new business up and running. In the end that business model wasn't so hot for me, not enough to quit my job. But I "learned" from this. It made me stronger, wiser. The business wasn't a complete failure as I made some money in the end. The money I did make was used to invest in new ideas, new business ventures and I haven't stopped yet. Successful people are always learning, buying training programs even though they might be garbage. Some training's have some golden nuggets in there which expands your horizon (you just need to realize it when you stumble upon them lol). So if I were you I would invest some money in training programs that you can find online (ex: how to make mobile advertising work, how to make facebook advertising work, etc..). Keep researching until you find something that will stick.

You are in the right place (Fastlane forum). I just joined this site yesterday and am already impressed with everyone's dedication in what their doing, how motivated everyone is and the value sharing is impressive. Keep reading, keep learning until you find something interesting you want to take up in. Once you do, research that topic, see if there's any possible training's and go from there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.