The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need info on labelling, packaging, inspecting new food/supplement product.

FrickinA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 6, 2016
Hello Fastlane forum,
I've been exploring an idea for a new food/supplement product for awhile now. I am confident in the general formula (all ingredients have science and my personal experience behind them). I am in need of information/direction on how to get a new supplement type food item packaged, inspected, etc, and ready for marketing (marketing is also something I could use info on). So far I have found this resource: http://www.nyssbdc.org/resources/Publications/foodproducts.pdf. I am curious if anyone with experience in the food/supplement production industry. I am not looking to have my own store so much as market to already existing stores. I am right now formulating my actual product in my kitchen, but I need to look towards the next step.

Thanks,

FrickinA

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I just started a side project with a friend for a plant extract - so can't be of much help.

But I'll tell you this much:

Our packaging will be coming from China. The extract will be coming from South America. We'll be lab testing the extract by a third party (most likely here in the States). Designers for all the packaging will be hired from Upwork. My friend will be doing all the marketing and operations once it gets going.

This is only a "hobby project" for us, so apologies that I can't give you more info. But hopefully someone else on here can chime in.

FrickinA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 6, 2016
I just started a side project with a friend for a plant extract - so can't be of much help.

But I'll tell you this much:

Our packaging will be coming from China. The extract will be coming from South America. We'll be lab testing the extract by a third party (most likely here in the States). Designers for all the packaging will be hired from Upwork. My friend will be doing all the marketing and operations once it gets going.

This is only a "hobby project" for us, so apologies that I can't give you more info. But hopefully someone else on here can chime in.

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep researching

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
The legal issue will depend on the jurisdiction you wish to sell into.
For example, there is a huge difference between the USA and Europe I believe.

Is the plan to manufacture and package yourself? My other half looked into something similar some time back and found plenty of contract kitchens that would manufacture, test, package etc at a reasonable price ( contracts included non compete and confidentiality clauses).
What I liked about this was that if the product goes well in one region- say the USA- then you can easily sub contract manufacture to another facility in say Europe.

FrickinA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 6, 2016
The legal issue will depend on the jurisdiction you wish to sell into.
For example, there is a huge difference between the USA and Europe I believe.

Is the plan to manufacture and package yourself? My other half looked into something similar some time back and found plenty of contract kitchens that would manufacture, test, package etc at a reasonable price ( contracts included non compete and confidentiality clauses).
What I liked about this was that if the product goes well in one region- say the USA- then you can easily sub contract manufacture to another facility in say Europe.

This is more or less the plan, although right now I'm trying to figure out at what point manufacturing myself vs subcontracting the production would be the best choice. I also don't know anything about food packaging, so I'm not even sure what those options would look like or what resources to start looking at. Its hard to prioritize as so many things must come together for this to work, my first step for now was simply developing the recipe to a point that it tastes good and is healthy, yesterday I tested the supplement formula that I plan to use on myself before my usual workout and the results were phenomenal as far as these types of products go (I've wasted some money on useless fitness supplements, perhaps less than many have though as I'm sure many of you can imagine). I'm planning to have a number of different specific products for specific sports nutrition needs all based on a similar concept, and I will decide the best marketing strategy once I have a product I can work with. Is this the "wrong order" of things to do this in? Is there something I should think about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc?

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
Sounds to me like you are going about this the right way. Packaging and branding are important but the product is key. Get that right and you can sub out the rest. Though i have no experience with food packaging (other than as a consumer) there are likely to be some standard options available. Check the recycling info on packaging for similar products in the local store. This might give you a guide. Also it would be useful to build up a scrapbook of packaging you like so when you do talk to someone you have examples of what you like. When you have the recipe sorted contact a local subcontractor. They will then provide a number of quotes based on quantity ordered and type of packaging. This will dictate if and when you scale up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrickinA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 6, 2016
Sounds to me like you are going about this the right way. Packaging and branding are important but the product is key. Get that right and you can sub out the rest. Though i have no experience with food packaging (other than as a consumer) there are likely to be some standard options available. Check the recycling info on packaging for similar products in the local store. This might give you a guide. Also it would be useful to build up a scrapbook of packaging you like so when you do talk to someone you have examples of what you like. When you have the recipe sorted contact a local subcontractor. They will then provide a number of quotes based on quantity ordered and type of packaging. This will dictate if and when you scale up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great reply, glad to know I've got a decent approach, I will continue forward. I also recently walked into a small natural foods shop that does some of their own products in back. I wanted to see if the manager (friend of a friend) could show me what their operation looked like at least. She was out but I left my info and will head back, apparently she's an awesome woman (person who runs the company) and would be more than happy to give me a peek at her commercial kitchen.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.