The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Help - Someone offered to buy my business domain (6-figs!)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Definitely an opportunity here... I am going to offer them the rights to my logo and try to develop a relationship with them. I decided to change my brand name just to avoid any trademark issues in the future anyway.

Their current logo is probably just a place holder as it's really basic so I figured I'd offer them the rights to mine, plus it would be really cool to see what they do with their company and if it ends up going somewhere I'd love to see my logo go with it!
opportunity here! .... a good one to study. ..... there is opportunity in every deal

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Damn, I missed this thread. Exciting stuff, and yea, NOTABLE!

backslash

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 3, 2018
Norway
SEO will not be gone necessarily.
But you need a transition phase where you control your current domain and your new.
Then you set up your current website to do a redirect to your new website, as accurately as possible with page to page and not just at root level.
Search engines will pick up this. And you can give Google a hint as well by setting up in the search console that you are moving.

It's important to do a proper 301 redirect. Google has articles about this.

Done right you keep all SEO

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
SEO will not be gone necessarily.
But you need a transition phase where you control your current domain and your new.
Then you set up your current website to do a redirect to your new website, as accurately as possible with page to page and not just at root level.
Search engines will pick up this. And you can give Google a hint as well by setting up in the search console that you are moving.

It's important to do a proper 301 redirect. Google has articles about this.

Done right you keep all SEO
That is some really useful information. Thank you for that!

I do still have access to the domain, I am still awaiting for the payment to go through. Things have been moving slowly. Hoping for it to go through next week. Not sure if that is enough time.

D

Deleted85763

Someone through Godaddy's domain broker service offered to buy my business's domain and I am indecisive on if I should consider it.

Their initial offer was only for $1000, and I told them they would need to pay a lot more than that as I use this domain for my business.

They said the buyer is very interested even if the price is a lot higher.

I wouldn't be willing to change my business name, but I could just buy a variation of my business name domain and continue using the same business name.

But I have issues I am worried about.

What will happen to my current SEO?

What if the buyer is in the same industry as me? Trademark issues?

What about my existing customers looking for my website?

I am not sure if it is worth considering even for like $40,000 given the potential issues, even though $40,000 would be great right now.

My business will do about $150,000 in sales this year.

Anybody ever been in a situation like this?

That is some really useful information. Thank you for that!

I do still have access to the domain, I am still awaiting for the payment to go through. Things have been moving slowly. Hoping for it to go through next week. Not sure if that is enough time.
I had a major player in a major industry show interest in my domain name that I owned some years ago. I was really excited and thought I would be instantly rich. They offered me like $50.00 firm. I eventually didn't renew the domain name. I just checked and someone is selling it for about $10K.

I think it's the quality of goods and services that matter. A domain name doesn't, in general.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
A domain name doesn't, in general.
Agreed. It is 100% the business's quality, service, and products that matter most. A business can make a name for itself, but a name will never make a business.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Great story! Did you get the money after all?
Not just yet, they asked for 45 days to pay. So they have about 2 weeks left to pay. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

DJThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 23, 2021
Not just yet, they asked for 45 days to pay. So they have about 2 weeks left to pay. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.
Great thread and I hope everything works out for you - when it does, I’m looking forward to seeing you make it happen

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Great thread and I hope everything works out for you - when it does, I’m looking forward to seeing you make it happen
Thanks, they are overdue on the payment at this point so not sure if it will ever come.

They also bought the version of my domain without usa at the end from the owner of that domain. So I am not really sure why they would want mine at this point.

They paid $200k for the version of the domain without usa, so they definitely weren't bluffing.

The contracts from Godaddy's broker service are really just useless though. They have no repercussions for the buyer not paying on time.

They have broken the contract twice, but because it is over six figures they are spending Godaddy doesn't care.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
So probably the final update on this is that it has fallen through.

The buyers ghosted Godaddy after they successfully purchased the version of my domain without usa at the end. I kinda saw it coming to be honest. That doesn't bother me so much.

What does bother me is the complete lack of support that Godaddy gives the seller. They enforce NOTHING.

They told me over the phone that they won't do anything about it because the buyer has spent a lot of money with them, and that if they were a smaller client they would have banned them for breaking the contract multiple times.

They have the right to suspend and lock access to the buyers domains, which I bet would get them to answer considering they just spent 200k on the domain. But Godaddy said "oh, we can't force them to pay".

They told me they will escalate it internally though... very comforting. When I asked what action they will take the broker said he's not sure but it's okay because it's been escalated. And when I asked to speak to the team it has been escalated to so I could get some more information on what the process would be he told me that he's sorry but he's going to close the inquiry.

Complete lack of support.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So probably the final update on this is that it has fallen through.

The sellers ghosted Godaddy after they successfully purchased the version of my domain without usa at the end. I kinda saw it coming to be honest. That doesn't bother me so much.

What does bother me is the complete lack of support that Godaddy gives the seller. They enforce NOTHING.

They told me over the phone that they won't do anything about it because the buyer has spent a lot of money with them, and that if they were a smaller client they would have banned them for breaking the contract multiple times.

They have the right to suspend and lock access to the buyers domains, which I bet would get them to answer considering they just spent 200k on the domain. But Godaddy said "oh, we can't force them to pay".

They told me they will escalate it internally though... very comforting. When I asked what action they will take the broker said he's not sure but it's okay because it's been escalated. And when I asked to speak to the team it has been escalated to so I could get some more information on what the process would be he told me that he's sorry but he's going to close the inquiry.

Why does it matter to the seller. They got paid right?

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Why does it matter to the seller. They got paid right?
The seller of the other version of my domain got paid, but I didn't even though the buyer signed an agreement to buy both domains for the agreed upon prices

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Godaddy

Sorry your deal fell through. Ive been with Godaddy for 11 years and just ran into some beyond serious issues with hacking they cant solve and about to migrate 3 sites elsewhere, very disappointed with how it gone down with them the last month since this started.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The seller of the other version of my domain got paid, but I didn't even though the buyer signed an agreement to buy both domains for the agreed upon prices
Is the wording for the exact domain name trademarked yet?

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Is the wording for the exact domain name trademarked yet?
The buyer already submitted for the trademark for the exact domain in September 2018, but it's still in 1b filing status as they haven't actually launched their business yet. They should be running out of extensions soon as you only get 5 extensions of 6 months each, so if they don't switch it to 1a status then I would assume the application would be void.

I filed for the trademark in the beginning of May of this year but my first use in commerce was in July 2020.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.