The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help in validating my idea...

Idea threads

pbl24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 23, 2012
Chicago, IL
So, in effort of staying lean, I would like to get some feedback surrounding an idea that I've had for a while before jumping head first into it. The idea arose out of scratching my own itch.

ImageFly - Ridiculously Easy Image Editing API

What? ImageFly is a an API that you, as a developer, can leverage while building out your applications to handle the monotonous tasks of manipulating images. For example, normally, you need to do stuff when a user uploads a photo, such as create a thumbnail, resize it to a common width, change the quality (to ensure a sane filesize), and perhaps strip all the photo metadata information.

Why? As of now, the only ways to handle this is language dependent, and normally overcomplicated (e.g., GD in PHP, RMagick in Ruby, etc.). An additional way is to install something like ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick and make system calls (or use complicated wrappers) to these applications. While powerful, the downside of this approach is that these applications are insanely complex, and it's not necessarily as straight forward how to do something simple.

The fact of the matter is, you should be focused on building out YOUR application, and not spending hours trying to get your photo infrastructure perfect.

How does it benefit you?

Three simple benefits for you:

1. You don't have to learn complex image libraries, and can focus on building out your application
  2. Cut down on development time
  3. Lower your costs

You don't have to learn complex image libraries. More often than not, all you need to do is resize an image or create thumbnails. Why bother learning complex image libraries when you don't have to? ImageFly abstracts all the goo away and allows you to handle all the basic functionality in a simple and concise API call.

Cut down on your development time. Less code equals less maintenance. Cut complex image manipulation out of your development cycle and let ImageFly worry about it. Let ImageFly worry about optimizing your images, backing things up, etc.

Lower your costs. Images are a bandwidth hog; especially with the consistent increase of online image quality. Your costs are lowered when ImageFly serves your images. ImageFly further helps lower your costs by automatically backing up your images and serving your images over a content-delivery network.

Examples?

Say, you have an image you want to create a thumbnail out of. It's as easy as this:

Code:
http://api.imageflyapp.com/thumbnail/100/100?image=http://yoursite.com/kitten.jpg

Or if you prefer POSTing it instead:

Code:
curl http://api.imageflyapp.com/ \
   -X POST \
   -H 'Accept: application/json' \
   -d '{ "image" : "http://yoursite.com/kitten.jpg",
          "operations" : [{
            "operation" : "thumbnail",
            "args" : { "width" : 100, "height": 100 }
         }]
       }'

And what you get is:

Originally 250x183
kitten_small.jpg

-going to -
Now 100x73 (maintaining
aspect ratio)

ex_thumbnail.jpeg

Side Notes

As I mentioned, this idea initially came out of scratching my own itch. To test the waters, I built a proof of concept over a long weekend, showed it a few people, with a warm reception and excitement. This leads me on to the next section...

Important Questions

• As a developer, would you use something like this? Why or why not?
  • Do these API services (think Postmark/SendGrid, Twilio, etc.) worry you as a developer (relinquishing control to a third party)?
  • Most importantly, would you pay for a service like this?

Thanks for reading this guys. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say in my never-ending quest to reach the fastlane.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Sounds interesting. How do you plan to sell it?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Most importantly, would you pay for a service like this?

There is a huge difference between people SAYING they would buy something and people putting pulling out their credit card. Setup a landing page (doesn't have to be pretty), put some decent sales copy on it and an order form where they type in their credit card information and click 'buy now'. Get their email and/or phone number saved, and don't actually collect the credit card information.

Find an advertising source - and get prospects to your page. When you see people actually paying for it...you know you have something that will sell and now you can invest your time into developing it.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
There is a huge difference between people SAYING they would buy something and people putting pulling out their credit card.

haha yes that is true. I had a guy string me along for about 4 months once. One day he was like "I want to buy the product, I just need to wait until next week when I get paid." Then a week later he was like, "i really want to buy the product. I'll buy tomorrow." tomorrow past. No purchase. Weeks went by and the guy kept telling me that he was going to buy. Then I grew a pair. I finally told him to either buy or I won't sell to him. He bought that day. So when people say that they want to buy, sometimes it's just as easy to tell them what they have to do. People don't know what the hell they want. One minute they love your idea, the next minute they completely forget about you and their promise to buy your product. So yea, a promise or interest means nothing (other than inspiration to build or work) until they open their wallet.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Sounds like a feature, not a product (or company).

ewH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Oct 30, 2012
Yes, it's a decent idea, but developers don't like to pay a lot of money for something that is relatively easy with libraries available in their language of choice. That said, I know that Blitline offers image processing as a service and is also available as a Heroku addon.
Blitline - Image processing in the cloud

Searching for image processing API, there aren't a lot of competitors out there, but there are some. Another is flashfotoapi, but it doesn't look nearly as polished and robust as blitline http://flashfotoapi.com/docs/overview

pbl24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 23, 2012
Chicago, IL
Sounds like a feature, not a product (or company).

Thanks theag. That's my concern. However, similar companies like I mentioned above (Postmark and SendGrid), exist solely to abstract a certain feature away (in this example, email delivery) from the developer. I'm just unsure if something like this is a critical enough thing that would warrant a third-party handling it.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Thanks theag. That's my concern. However, similar companies like I mentioned above (Postmark and SendGrid), exist solely to abstract a certain feature away (in this example, email delivery) from the

You don't need to call it a company to make money. You need massive action to make money.

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
Say, you have an image you want to create a thumbnail out of. It's as easy as this:
http://api.imageflyapp.com/thumbnail/100/100?image=http://yoursite.com/kitten.jpg

I had a similar problem and used timtumb.php (free) to do the resizing:
timthumb - image crop zoom resize management - Google Project Hosting

Most WordPress developers use timthumb in their themes, which is why it was originally created.

Also, because it resides on your server, there's less time spent on DNS requests, and there's built-in cache to speed up load times.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.