The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need field-friendly software suggestions

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I'm looking for field-friendly software that is mobile-friendly for my techs when they're working with clients at their homes.. I'm sure there's something out there that fits my bill and knew you guys would know!
-Needs to have a customizable checklist field (Where I can input the steps, and they check them off while they do the service)
-Needs to be able to input customer information and a notes field
-Needs a calendar aspect
-Needs to work in conjunction with a Credit Card swiper or something to record the sale (Open to ideas)
-Every Tech should have their own unique "Screen" that only they can access.
-It needs to send a copy of the information (Minus payment) to me

Do these features ring a bell? Am I better with just making a basic web app myself that does this? And leave the payment to Square? Thanks for the suggestions!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I'm looking for field-friendly software that is mobile-friendly for my techs when they're working with clients at their homes.. I'm sure there's something out there that fits my bill and knew you guys would know!
-Needs to have a customizable checklist field (Where I can input the steps, and they check them off while they do the service)
-Needs to be able to input customer information and a notes field
-Needs a calendar aspect
-Needs to work in conjunction with a Credit Card swiper or something to record the sale (Open to ideas)
-Every Tech should have their own unique "Screen" that only they can access.
-It needs to send a copy of the information (Minus payment) to me

Do these features ring a bell? Am I better with just making a basic web app myself that does this? And leave the payment to Square? Thanks for the suggestions!
You have a need for that, what if you made that product that solved that need that you have

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
You have a need for that, what if you made that product that solved that need that you have
Always have to keep the Fastlane mentality right?

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
It's your friendly neighborhood mobile developer, here to talk crap about web apps!

Really though, if you want to build this yourself, don't do a web app. "Field" is a trigger word that implies unknown and potentially shoddy or absent network connection, which complicates web apps on mobile devices.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
It's your friendly neighborhood mobile developer, here to talk crap about web apps!

Really though, if you want to build this yourself, don't do a web app. "Field" is a trigger word that implies unknown and potentially shoddy or absent network connection, which complicates web apps on mobile devices.
Bad lingo on my part. We service residential homes so cell service should be a non issue, was thinking about making a paper version of certain people prefer and then a camera feature on the app to scan it in at a later time. I’m actually surprised I haven’t received 10 recommendations by now. I thought there would be a plethora of software with features like I need lol

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Bad lingo on my part. We service residential homes so cell service should be a non issue, was thinking about making a paper version of certain people prefer and then a camera feature on the app to scan it in at a later time. I’m actually surprised I haven’t received 10 recommendations by now. I thought there would be a plethora of software with features like I need lol
there's plenty of them. Housecall pro, jobber, markate, servicemonster, servicem8 and so on

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

Sent you a PM Skroob!

kody.kendall

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 4, 2019
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey, I'm working in this space so can add my two cents.

I have an app similar to the ones mentioned above called Field Rocket, however we don't have custom forms or checklists built out for it.

If that's the most important thing you're looking for, I recommend Jobber.

From what I've seen, they have the best form customization experience for in-field technicians, you can require your techs to fill out the forms before closing out jobs, and it has good time-tracking and customer communication tools.

Of course, nothing in life is free and you'll pay for it, but it's also on the less-expensive end of these types of providers (although still more expensive than my app, hehe).

Jobber sounds like the most solid option for your use case, specifically the custom forms you want your techs to fill out.

PS: I saw you mentioned doing a low tech way to start out, which is a great way to do it as well. For my HVAC company that uses Field Rocket, we just have paper forms we print out and have each tech fill out. Then, they take a picture and upload it to the customer record on the app. Easy peasy.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Hey, I'm working in this space so can add my two cents.

I have an app similar to the ones mentioned above called Field Rocket, however we don't have custom forms or checklists built out for it.

If that's the most important thing you're looking for, I recommend Jobber.

From what I've seen, they have the best form customization experience for in-field technicians, you can require your techs to fill out the forms before closing out jobs, and it has good time-tracking and customer communication tools.

Of course, nothing in life is free and you'll pay for it, but it's also on the less-expensive end of these types of providers (although still more expensive than my app, hehe).

Jobber sounds like the most solid option for your use case, specifically the custom forms you want your techs to fill out.

PS: I saw you mentioned doing a low tech way to start out, which is a great way to do it as well. For my HVAC company that uses Field Rocket, we just have paper forms we print out and have each tech fill out. Then, they take a picture and upload it to the customer record on the app. Easy peasy.
Sending you a PM Kody!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.