The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

NaNoWriMo

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
If you never heard about NaNoWriMo or the National Novel Writing Month, here‘s the website‘s description of it:

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing.

On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought about writing a novel.​

While researching and learning about writing a novel, I came across that weird sounding abrevation a lot. Like, really a lot.
But I pretty soon learned that it‘s an event in November.
And since naive me, back in February of this year, thought I‘ll be done with my book by late summer, I never gave it a second glance.

Well, here we are.
It‘s October and I‘m still hovering above the 150 pages mark of my planned 300 something novel.

So I decided to take part in the NaNoWriMo.

I have absolutely no idea how many authors, especially of fiction are on here. Anyway, I thought it may be of value for some to do this together on this forum.

I‘m not talking about „I just wrote 3,463 words today!“ or „There are 8 words starring at me from that blank F*ck, that‘s my word file.“ or „I have no idea where that Scrivener thing on my desktop went, guess I‘ll start tomorrow“ type of posts.
I mean, you can do that if you want.
But it could also just be an update every few days how it‘s going for you. Or one at the end of it.
That‘s completely up to you.

And yes, I know.
October just started and I’m talking about writing 50,000 words in November?

Yeah. There may be stuff to prepare.
Like, getting into your characters (not that type of thing you think now.... pervert), thinking about the research that needs to be done, doing the research. Outlining your novel. Finding that Scrivener thing on your desktop.

I don‘t know if anybody would be into this and would like to join. If yes, I‘d love to use this thread as some kind of group novel writing progress experiment thread (or GNWPET.... yeah.. better not use that..)
To follow each other‘s progress and holding oneself accountable through it.

Here‘s the link to NaNoWriMo if you want to use the website for it: https://nanowrimo.org/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheRegalMachine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 27, 2017
Moon Base
I took part in something similar called Inktober. Which is going on right now, check it out if you like art. #inktober
It was a challenge to do it everyday which was a good thing because I produced drawings I didn't know i had in me. Also found out my limits and how I need to improve.
Four days in and I have an urge to take part again.
As someone who enjoys writing I imagine this would be the same. A challenge to see how far you can go before caving. Hopefully learning from it and not getting discouraged.
Writings a bit different because there is not instant gratification of showing off your creative turmoil. Plus most people don't give a crap if you're a writer.
I'm willing to give it a go.
During October I'll knock around some ideas and see what comes of it.
To tell you the truth I need stuff like this because I crave a creative outlet but focus too much on working, finding work, worrying, and progressing to a better tomorrow.

TheRegalMachine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 27, 2017
Moon Base
Bumping the thread because we're half way to November.
During the weekend I'm going to sift through some old story ideas and see which one I want to use.
I might even cheat and do some outlining and get some of the story beats down before I start.
I want to stay away from fantasy and other fun fictiony stuff as a challenge but I can't resist.
Hope others join the thread.
Don't be afraid just do it.
DO IT!

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Bumping the thread because we're half way to November.
During the weekend I'm going to sift through some old story ideas and see which one I want to use.
I might even cheat and do some outlining and get some of the story beats down before I start.
I want to stay away from fantasy and other fun fictiony stuff as a challenge but I can't resist.
Hope others join the thread.
Don't be afraid just do it.
DO IT!

Awesome!
I don‘t think outlining is some form of cheating. I also did an outline to my book, knew the ending of it before I started writing the first words and also know some major story points.
It‘s just a thing every writer has to decide for themselves IMO, outlining or just getting right into the story, neither is right or wrong I think.

I‘m currently listening to Stephen King‘s „On Writing“, awesome book so far, and like MJ‘s TMF audio book, it‘s read by the author.

Even if I outlined some basic story points, King motivated me to jump right into where I am at the moment and just write :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Well, it's November.

@TheRegalMachine I hope you're still on board. I don't know if anybody else on here is, or if someone may jump on board while we're already travelling through November.

Anyway, I started this thread and I hate unfinished things, so let's see how this thread goes. I didn't set a specific goal of how many words I want to write, nor is this month for me any different than any other. I just liked the idea of following through with this daily word count thing, while others are doing the same.

Let's see where this will go :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.