The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Name Your Own Price - Learn to code bundle

Schmidty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jan 19, 2014
Santa Barbara, CA
I'd go with "Become a Web Developer from Scratch!"

I'd go with the "Build a Website from Scratch with HTML & CSS." The "Become a web developer from scratch" is a great class that covers a wide array of topics, but I found it easier to learn the scripting languages after a solid HTML/CSS foundation. Just my 2 cents

Awesome. Thanks. I'm pretty interested in the iOS app building side of everything and that's where I ultimately want to end up. Do the non iOS courses supplement it? Like I said, I'm completely new to this (hence the purchase) and don't know if things that I'll learn in one lesson might possibly translate over to another lesson.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fuller

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles
Awesome. Thanks. I'm pretty interested in the iOS app building side of everything and that's where I ultimately want to end up. Do the non iOS courses supplement it? Like I said, I'm completely new to this (hence the purchase) and don't know if things that I'll learn in one lesson might possibly translate over to another lesson.

Short answer: Yes, it will translate over.

Long answer:

Since your end-goal is to create IOS apps, you're going to have to learn Objective-C. The learning curve for Objective C is typically considered steep for a beginner. The most important thing to understand when starting to learn coding is understanding the concepts. That's why most intro classes use python; it's a simple langue, syntax-wise, so it allows you to better understand the concepts without worrying too much about anything else.

I was in the same boat as you are now at the beginning of the year. Most of the IOS developers I spoke to recommended that I learn Python first before moving on to Objective C so that's what I'm currently doing. That said, there's nothing wrong with trying out the IOS development classes first and see how you do. Who knows, the concepts might come easily for you and you won't have to spend the extra time learning another language.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Already a member of TeamTreehouse so I can skip this one, but they have a new offer that gives you access to a bunch of Photoshop courses...tempting...

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Handy tip for watching videos on udemy if you think they go along too slow

go to 'edit profile' then to 'preferences' and set your default player to HTML5.

This gives you an option when watching a video to speed it up to double.

More time.

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Purchased, seems a good deal! Is there some kind of timelimit or deadline for when you've got to use the redemption links by?

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
Nice. Exactly what I was looking for. I was planning on enrolling in a school in NYC to learn, but I'll give this a try.

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
You're not going to make $50k/year after learning these basic courses. After you're done with this you will put on your resume all the neat languages you know, then during your interview you will get grilled with questions/tests that will make you squirm. It takes months-years to being skilled just in one programming language. I know this from experience and interviews. Programming jobs are competitive and employers require knowledge of algorithms, object-oriented & mvc concepts which are not taught in these courses. More likely you'll be able to get a junior level position at $35k/year. Actually the best thing you might get out of this is being able to communicate with tech lingo, such as if you decide to hire/outsource developers for your projects.

Gabino Luna

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 10, 2014
You're not going to make $50k/year after learning these basic courses. After you're done with this you will put on your resume all the neat languages you know, then during your interview you will get grilled with questions/tests that will make you squirm. It takes months-years to being skilled just in one programming language. I know this from experience and interviews. Programming jobs are competitive and employers require knowledge of algorithms, object-oriented & mvc concepts which are not taught in these courses. More likely you'll be able to get a junior level position at $35k/year. Actually the best thing you might get out of this is being able to communicate with tech lingo, such as if you decide to hire/outsource developers for your projects.
So would you say actually going to school and learning all the other stuff you noted is necessary to better master these languages?

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
So would you say actually going to school and learning all the other stuff you noted is necessary to better master these languages?
If you're in the age range and timeframe for university, then studying a STEM field is worth it. If not, there are books on all other advanced topics which are DIFFICULT to find in video form. I've seen many posts in REDDIT from people asking for the "next step". You can get specific recommendations depending on your objective.

Gabino Luna

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 10, 2014
If you're in the age range and timeframe for university, then studying a STEM field is worth it. If not, there are books on all other advanced topics which are DIFFICULT to find in video form. I've seen many posts in REDDIT from people asking for the "next step". You can get specific recommendations depending on your objective.
I'm 18 and currently in Uni for Computer Science, and my intended fastlane requires knowledge of various languages and database processes. I was just asking to see if what I need to learn is actually what I will be learning in these next couple of years at school or if there was an alternative. Looks like to really learn everything I need I will most likely have to go through school for it. Sorry if my grammar is bad, English is my second language.

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
Ahh the 50k a yr sounded like a good fallback but I was just hoping to learn enough to make a website for say a startup business or a new product line. I was also doing some research on investing in ecommerce sites for income. I was hoping I would learn enough to manage and or improve the site.

HappyFighter

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Dec 29, 2013
Philippines
For those of you who wants to learn how to code but is having hesitation whether it will be worth it or not, then the video below might help you on your decision. Form your own conclusions from the information that you have gathered.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011

Most of us on here have no interest in learning code for the purpose of getting a job.

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
Most of us on here have no interest in learning code for the purpose of getting a job.
Did you read my last sentence? Learning some code is useful for something.
Actually the best thing you might get out of this is being able to communicate with tech lingo, such as if you decide to hire/outsource developers for your projects

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
Purchased, seems a good deal! Is there some kind of timelimit or deadline for when you've got to use the redemption links by?

Once you redeem the links, the courses are yours for life. I went ahead and redeemed them and plan to get started when I find some time. Good thing is they have an Android app so I can use these courses on the go.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the share!
I bought the bundle 3 weeks ago.
3 weeks later I already have some decent knowledge in html & css and am learning javascript for a week now and start to get a basic understanding of the language.

It's a lot of fun!
I also recommend http://www.codecademy.com , it's a free interactive learning platform for coding.
I combine both udemy and codecademy.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.