• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

My son bought a website...

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by GBGallardo, Feb 19, 2008.

1. GBGallardo

GBGallardo New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $40
    Hey guys, I am going to let my son write this post to all of you:

Hey guys, I am Robert...16 years old. I have been doing web development for quite some time now and I finally bought my first established website.

The website URL is: http://www.PumpCost.com You type in a zip code and from a feed it pulls live gas prices for any zip in the US! Pretty cool.

It's really not a company, but I paid $300 for it and in just over one month I have pulled just over $110 with Google AdSense. Therefore I know the website is working and making me some spare cash. I am not trying to make a living off of this website but for the experience, it has taught me a lot and that I like.

Now my questions for you guys is what are some way I could expand this website to gain more viewers, build the site up, etc...any suggestions for my little business?! :p

I just wanted to share...

**And PhxMJ I sent you a PM over at L-Power about stocks.

2. carlhuber

carlhuber New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Do anything the much more established http://www.gasbuddy.com/ does. Same concept. They have a whole community going, so you might consider adding a forum. Add a section for gas optimization tips...etc.

What's the deal with pressing the lowercase "s" in "Homes" link at the bottom of the page? It takes me to a credit card sign up page: http://www.pumpcost.com/gascards.php What's going on there?

GBGallardo likes this.
  3. AndrewG

AndrewG Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    The first few things I would do is work on the layout a little more. I think the gas price search needs to be brought up higher.

Here's how I would do it:
    (logo)

Real time gas prices

(zip code search)

(google search)

(ad space)

contact | about | links | etc

Good luck!

-Andrew

GBGallardo likes this.
  4. rico

rico Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $100
    You've got a niche audience coming to your site... ie car owners. So find products to market to them as well. So affiliate schemes for insurance, warranties, finance etc would all work well for your visitors.

They'll create a higher cost per visitor than just google ads

GBGallardo likes this.
  5. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $189,535
    I think you need to re-arrange your ads on the front page and the gas price page. What are your click conversion rates like?

6. kidgas

kidgas Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $63
    How delayed is the "real-time" price? It is 0.13 off at one of the stations I passed on the way home from work.

7. Sehcill

Sehcill Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $209
    I can't speak for everyone, but I personally don't make a special trip to get gas; I get it on the way to somewhere else, or on the way home etc. Sooo...code your site to be extremely friendly to cell phone / iphone browsers so people can check while they're out and about.

-Jason

8. Alan at SE

Alan at SE Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $253
    just curious, where does your website pull the gas prices from?

9. Jorge

Jorge Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $252
    If he answered this question, wouldn't this render his site useless?

I would try to link the prices with google maps, making a lot more useful the information.

10. Alan at SE

Alan at SE Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $253
    true, he doesnt have to answer. ive thought about a hotel vacanies website but i couldnt figure out how to pull data like that.

11. Jorge

Jorge Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $252
    If you are into web development, I suggest searching for "web scraping" techniques. Although sometimes they are not fully compliant with websites copyright policies.

12. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $193
    How about adding private ads to other sites with a related topic (i.e. sites about how to acquire optimal mileage)? IMO, little private banner ads with a graphic ad much more appeal to a site than AdSense. Plus, they can be more profitable if they're incorporated correctly.

Another thing I'd consider as far as marketing goes would be to contact travel agencies, Chambers of Commerce, and local hotels to see if they're willing to advertise your business to tourists. Tourists need gas, and they likely won't know where to go for it, especially at a decent price.

13. djs13

djs13 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $108
    A little off topic and I apologize...but I was wondering where did your son purchase the site? I am looking for a site online that sells marketable web sites that aren't too expensive.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.