The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

My son bought a website...

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

GBGallardo

New Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
Hey guys, I am going to let my son write this post to all of you:

Hey guys, I am Robert...16 years old. I have been doing web development for quite some time now and I finally bought my first established website.

The website URL is: http://www.PumpCost.com You type in a zip code and from a feed it pulls live gas prices for any zip in the US! Pretty cool.

It's really not a company, but I paid $300 for it and in just over one month I have pulled just over $110 with Google AdSense. Therefore I know the website is working and making me some spare cash. I am not trying to make a living off of this website but for the experience, it has taught me a lot and that I like.

Now my questions for you guys is what are some way I could expand this website to gain more viewers, build the site up, etc...any suggestions for my little business?! :p

I just wanted to share...

**And PhxMJ I sent you a PM over at L-Power about stocks.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

AndrewG

Contributor
Nov 3, 2007
The first few things I would do is work on the layout a little more. I think the gas price search needs to be brought up higher.

Here's how I would do it:
(logo)

Real time gas prices

(zip code search)

(google search)

(ad space)

contact | about | links | etc

Good luck!

-Andrew

rico

Contributor
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
You've got a niche audience coming to your site... ie car owners. So find products to market to them as well. So affiliate schemes for insurance, warranties, finance etc would all work well for your visitors.

They'll create a higher cost per visitor than just google ads

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think you need to re-arrange your ads on the front page and the gas price page. What are your click conversion rates like?

Sehcill

Contributor
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I can't speak for everyone, but I personally don't make a special trip to get gas; I get it on the way to somewhere else, or on the way home etc. Sooo...code your site to be extremely friendly to cell phone / iphone browsers so people can check while they're out and about.

-Jason

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
just curious, where does your website pull the gas prices from?
If he answered this question, wouldn't this render his site useless?

I would try to link the prices with google maps, making a lot more useful the information.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
If you are into web development, I suggest searching for "web scraping" techniques. Although sometimes they are not fully compliant with websites copyright policies.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Hey guys, I am going to let my son write this post to all of you:

Hey guys, I am Robert...16 years old. I have been doing web development for quite some time now and I finally bought my first established website.

The website URL is: http://www.PumpCost.com You type in a zip code and from a feed it pulls live gas prices for any zip in the US! Pretty cool.

It's really not a company, but I paid $300 for it and in just over one month I have pulled just over $110 with Google AdSense. Therefore I know the website is working and making me some spare cash. I am not trying to make a living off of this website but for the experience, it has taught me a lot and that I like.

Now my questions for you guys is what are some way I could expand this website to gain more viewers, build the site up, etc...any suggestions for my little business?! :p

I just wanted to share...

**And PhxMJ I sent you a PM over at L-Power about stocks.
How about adding private ads to other sites with a related topic (i.e. sites about how to acquire optimal mileage)? IMO, little private banner ads with a graphic ad much more appeal to a site than AdSense. Plus, they can be more profitable if they're incorporated correctly.

Another thing I'd consider as far as marketing goes would be to contact travel agencies, Chambers of Commerce, and local hotels to see if they're willing to advertise your business to tourists. Tourists need gas, and they likely won't know where to go for it, especially at a decent price.

djs13

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Oct 3, 2007
NY
A little off topic and I apologize...but I was wondering where did your son purchase the site? I am looking for a site online that sells marketable web sites that aren't too expensive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock