The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My plan... not bad for a penguin

LazyPenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 18, 2007
San Diego
My plan started awhile ago, and I have been slow to act upon what I originally wanted to do.

First thing I did was used my imagination to what I could to make money, without actualy doing much work for it.

Something dawned on me, I have always been an artist and I had just won a First Place ribbon in the San Diego County Fair, so why not start there?
So I did.

I took the 17"x21" Graphite drawing and had a proffesional printmaker make prints for me. So at this point I was down some money, but my family happily took the first couple prints off my hands, and I was feeling cheerful.

After that I have stopped. Stuck. Wondering what to do with these extra prints (made limited amount, to raise value).
I turned 18 and created a Ebay account, I was excited. I thought my pictures would fly away to new owners within the first post of my Print.

9 days later, when the bid time expired, I looked at my computer screen with a sad look on my face.. what did I do wrong? is my artwork no good?
My realization of what had went wrong hit me when I discussed it with my Mom (Wildambitions :hurray:) :
I had lack of exposure!

I have just reposted my item back on ebay, and now I am telling you my story.
I posted my link on myspace this time, emailed my friends/family and hoping that the emails get forwarded to a potential customer.

If anybody has any other ideas for me to post, so my artwork can get exposure please do tell. And if anyone is interested in it send me an email :banana:

-A Lazy Penguin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Could you post a larger version of the picture on Ebay? It is relatively small, and being a piece of art I think people would want to see it in greater detail. You're an extremely talented artist =)

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I agree with both of Jesse's points...great work!

Have you tried posting your work within some online art communities (forums specifically?). I'm sure there are plenty of sites that offer sharing of work...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm NOT an expert on eBay, but I don't like it that much when an auction has a starting bid priced set... I think that you could get more results if you start with $1 and set a minimum rice that you would take for it... if nobody bids more than that then the auction is not valid. That may help. Also, the pic does not make justice to it... can you add a picture where we can see more details? and please crop the sandals off the picture :D

I have no clue about art or how to sell/buy it, but I wanted to give you my feedback about the auction. Pretty cool drawing by the way.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
People buy expensive art to show it off. Who is your target market? How are you appealing to them?

Here are some ideas:

1. Scratch the starting price (props to andviv) - set up an auction with no reserve, no starting price. See what it gets to, and cancel the auction. This is your trial run, so you know what you can expect.

2. Set up a website. Buy a domain at 1and1.com and put up a website.
1 page - who you are.
2 page - your work. Thats all you need.

Keep drawing. Keep drawing. Have the good ones evaluated by art teachers and peers.

Look at the sites where you can sell your work - not ebay, but artist shops. See what you can expect to get.

Good luck.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Penguin,

Wow, ya got some talent. I'd reiterate what was said above - the pictures just don't do it justice. Your product is art and the pictures have to be extremely detailed and good. Those just don't cut it.

Also, I'm friends with a local artist here who is extremely talented -- her problem is valuation of money and her time. She prices her art cheap when she can command a higher price. I've witnessed her skill at shows and she sells out EVERYTIME. I advised her to double her prices which she did -- she continued to sell at the higher price and was ecstatic.

Just because $1,000 might seem like a lot of money to you, to art buffs, its like pocket change. Don't under price your talent!

As for Ebay, its an outlet for deal shoppers -- I'm not sure you should let that be the judgment on the quality of your art.

MJ

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Did you get my email? ...If you're up for designing some stuff for us (me and your mom) we'll happily pay you! ...You could add it to your portfolio. :)

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I agree.
It is not about the quality of the art.

Are you marketing where your target market is?
This is a military subject, right?
Well, how about posting on some of the military forums?
How about offering up some cover art for a military mag?
(I'm reaching as I'm not knowledgeable about the whole military culture)

How about taking that same art work
and making
cards
calendars
tshirts
prints,
etc?

Something that takes the very time consuming drawing
and turns it into multiple sales.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Yes, yes, yes- holy crap- yes! You could take your artwork, make it into a series of cards/posters/ limited ed. prints (if you want to go this route) and rent at booth at the BX- this would be great especially over the holiday season! Sounds like your market is Military members or Military enthusiasts- all of which tend to frequent the BX. Hmm... keep us posted!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, I'm late tuning in to this thread.

My 2 pieces of advice:

1. When folks go to buy art, they typically don't go to E-Bay.

2. Figure out your market(s), then find out where they go, not just for art, but for anything in their lives.

Both of these points have already been made-- but it needs to be stressed:

Identify your market. Sell to them.

And as MJ points out, don't sell yourself short. You will be amazed at how much value others will place on your work. :)

-Russ H.

PS When you do get around to posting higher-res images, BE SURE TO WATERMARK YOUR WORK! Or else people will just print out your hi-res images on their printers!

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Wow! I am so glad someone other than his mom and other relatives are letting him know his value!

Great input.

Penguin was also contacted by a gentleman involved with the VFW and American Legion with some ideas with how to direct market with them. Evidently, they are always looking for things like this for their annual auction fund raisers.

Advise from here (I can say advise cuz I am mom),

1. Follow up!

2. Expand the types of marketing you have going. Don't rely on only one method.

3. Don't give up. Until you achieve what it is you want.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.