The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My mind is confusing me..

Anything related to matters of the mind

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
Hey guys, so for awhile now I've been into business and entrepreneurship related things. I plan on having a business in the future, not quite sure what I'm looking for though. I got introduced to the business world when I became a sneaker enthusiast. For a long time, I figured my business would be about fashion/shoes.

As I grow older, I start to come up with other ideas and I'm so confused on what I should be working on. Currently, I have an Instagram account dedicated to shoes/fashion. Not only am I working on that account every day, I also am learning code. I've been using several free programs online, bought a couple HTML and CSS books, and I have a mentor who has been coding for 7-8years and is a genius! The thing is, I feel like I'm losing grip on my coding and everything else. I just haven't been putting in time and working on anything. I always think that it's because I'm too busy with sports, school, and appointments. But I know that I can't use those things as an excuse, I've heard tons of stories of people who have much more in their lives going on and are way more successful than I am right now. I feel like I'm just not as dedicated anymore, the first month of coding I spent some time on it every day, and now I barely touch it once a week.

Do I need to focus on one thing at a time? I'm thinking of getting a calendar to put on my bedroom door and dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to coding. Starting this habit will definitely help me in the future, and maybe I'll add more onto that 30 minutes. I feel like I'm truly passionate about all of this, but if I'm not working on it, does it mean I don't want it bad enough? This is the reason why my mind is confusing me, I know I really want it, I talk about it all the time but I just don't execute. That's when I start to ask myself is if I really want it. I'm not sure if this makes any sense to you, but I'm just not sure if I should continue learning/working on one thing at a time. My instagram account does not take up much time, I dedicate lots of time to my Instagram account. It's just the code thing that's getting to me. When I think about my coding future, I get an adrenaline rush and I just feel the excitement. I love that feeling, but I just don't feel it all the time and I feel like that's not how it should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hey! :)

First things first - next time please do paragraph your sentences. It makes a lot easier to follow your thoughts.

Here's what I think is going on in your head: you have realized the difference between slowlane and fastlane, but are unsure where to start. If this is the case, I can assure you that this is perfectly normal. I am pretty sure that many successful guys on this forum are brainstorming on a daily basis and looking for new/better business opportunities. Just analyze market, look for what customer spending trends are emerging and try to link your research findings to your interests. In my opinion, this methodology would increase the possibility of finding something profitable.

Another thing: You mentioned "I feel like I'm just not as dedicated anymore, the first month of coding I spent some time on it every day, and now I barely touch it once a week." and then (in my opinion) contradicted yourself by saying "When I think about my coding future, I get an adrenaline rush and I just feel the excitement." You need to be honest to yourself about this one. If you are not into tech, find a buddy who can help you code and focus on your stronger, more passionate roles, such as market research and/or marketing. It doesn't end here...here is another stained sentence of yours that doesn't make sense to me "My instagram account does not take up much time, I dedicate lots of time to my Instagram account." - I think you have to clarify all this... not to us, but to yourself, and be perfectly honest about it.

My advice formula for you is :

1) Be perfectly clear to yourself if this particular business idea excites you.
2) Create a business execution plan and set deadlines for certain tasks and reward yourself for reaching those tasks.
3) Outsource tasks to someone if it really bores you; otherwise you might get burned-out and lose your focus entirely.
4) Remember, being successful entrepreneur is not simply coming up with 'AHA' moment and then taking some magic wand or rotten sock out of your drawer and casting a spell or some voodoo magic...entrepreneurship is a process, a continuous process of trial-and-error, endless nights, missed parties... all this trip will change your attitude of wealth my friend. You'll realize that Lamborghini is not the best thing money can buy, freedom is.

Take care :)

Last edited:

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Do I need to focus on one thing at a time?
Yes.
When I think about my coding future, I get an adrenaline rush and I just feel the excitement. I love that feeling, but I just don't feel it all the time and I feel like that's not how it should be.
For most of my adolescence and young adulthood, I fantasized about being a musician — a rock star, in particular. Any badass guitar song I heard, I would always close my eyes and envision myself up on stage playing it to the screams of the crowd, people absolutely losing their minds to my sweet finger-noodling. This fantasy could keep me occupied for hours on end. The fantasizing continued up through college, even after I dropped out of music school and stopped playing seriously. But even then it was never a question of if I’d ever be up playing in front of screaming crowds, but when. I was biding my time before I could invest the proper amount of time and effort into getting out there and making it work. First, I needed to finish school. Then, I needed to make money. Then, I needed to find the time. Then… and then nothing.

Despite fantasizing about this for over half of my life, the reality never came. And it took me a long time and a lot of negative experiences to finally figure out why: I didn’t actually want it.

I was in love with the result — the image of me on stage, people cheering, me rocking out, pouring my heart into what I’m playing — but I wasn’t in love with the process. And because of that, I failed at it. Repeatedly. Hell, I didn’t even try hard enough to fail at it. I hardly tried at all.

The daily drudgery of practicing, the logistics of finding a group and rehearsing, the pain of finding gigs and actually getting people to show up and give a shit. The broken strings, the blown tube amp, hauling 40 pounds of gear to and from rehearsals with no car. It’s a mountain of a dream and a mile-high climb to the top. And what it took me a long time to discover is that I didn’t like to climb much. I just liked to imagine the top.
From this article: http://markmanson.net/question
Do you recognize the pattern?

I wish you the best of luck (but then I hope you don't have to rely on it)

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
In my humble opinion,
Hey guys, so for awhile now I've been into business and entrepreneurship related things. I plan on having a business in the future, not quite sure what I'm looking for though. I got introduced to the business world when I became a sneaker enthusiast. For a long time, I figured my business would be about fashion/shoes. As I grow older, I start to come up with other ideas and I'm so confused on what I should be working on. Currently, I have an Instagram account dedicated to shoes/fashion. Not only am I working on that account every day, I also am learning code. I've been using several free programs online, bought a couple HTML and CSS books, and I have a mentor who has been coding for 7-8years and is a genius! The thing is, I feel like I'm losing grip on my coding and everything else. I just haven't been putting in time and working on anything. I always think that it's because I'm too busy with sports, school, and appointments. But I know that I can't use those things as an excuse, I've heard tons of stories of people who have much more in their lives going on and are way more successful than I am right now. I feel like I'm just not as dedicated anymore, the first month of coding I spent some time on it every day, and now I barely touch it once a week. Do I need to focus on one thing at a time? I'm thinking of getting a calendar to put on my bedroom door and dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to coding. Starting this habit will definitely help me in the future, and maybe I'll add more onto that 30 minutes. I feel like I'm truly passionate about all of this, but if I'm not working on it, does it mean I don't want it bad enough? This is the reason why my mind is confusing me, I know I really want it, I talk about it all the time but I just don't execute. That's when I start to ask myself is if I really want it. I'm not sure if this makes any sense to you, but I'm just not sure if I should continue learning/working on one thing at a time. My instagram account does not take up much time, I dedicate lots of time to my Instagram account. It's just the code thing that's getting to me. When I think about my coding future, I get an adrenaline rush and I just feel the excitement. I love that feeling, but I just don't feel it all the time and I feel like that's not how it should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In my humble opinion, and knowing how I've felt very simalar in the past, I would

get a diary, excel spreadhseet, anything where you can structure your thoughts. Then I would

1) create a list of end goals, overall goals etc. EG for me this was 'create my company, transition from day job' and forming the basis of a brainstorm/spider diagram etc that you can grow over time with things that you identify in 3 below

2) break this goal down. in colours into chunks. niche, acheivements, whatever you want to form the ultimate goals. Maybe your goal is to be in a place where you can exploit opportunities that can come along as opposed to an actual project or business, that's ok too.

3) create weekly goals at the start of the week (these can be 'spend 10 hours this week coding, learn how to do this bit of coding, set up a website, add this to this website, research xyz.) The goals need to be attainable and measurable. I find it helps to colour code these to match the points in 2) almost like an inbuilt index

4) reflect, how does each thing you've done help, what have you learned, what opportunities have arisen, how does this feed your end game, or if you don't know what that end game is, how does it help you develop as a person.

The whole thing becomes a loop.

From thereon out, the only thing that makes a difference is taking action. IE Just pick something on the list and do it. Yep You need to focus on one thing at a time - even if it means having 3 goals in a day and dedicating a set time to each, So I found that taking one step at a time and just focusing on that, helped me not only work it into a schedule to maintain a life, but helped me kick goals and get out of going full pelt at something, finishing it and then leaving it for a week and not know where I'm going with it. Might help, might be gibberish but it helped me from going to having not much experience with web development, to setting up three good quality websites with traffic increasing from 0 to 150, 300, 500 -1000 uniques a month since September with little in the way of promotion and each generating an income whilst also forming part of my long term goals.

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
Why do you want to code? To get a job as a coder? It seems like you have run out of idea/creativity and settled for the idea that learning to code will bring you wealth. Code for a reason, do it for your own software/website business and you will be motivated to get your project finished, you will learn coding as part of the process without it being a drag. If you get stuck other coders will help you for free on websites like stackoverflow.com. Even if you wanted to get a job as a coder I am sure employers would be more impressed with demonstrable projects.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
I get despondent when I dont see progress, so earning badges on codecademy didn't do it for me.

I've set my biggest dreams and I have condensed them down into daily portions, kinda like baby steps.

Take baby steps with everything because if you focus on the end destination, you will get lost.

If you were driving 300 miles, you would focus on the destination but drive one road at a time.

.... oh, and dont waste too much time on code unless you are going to be a coder.
Learn it to make your MVP and move one because this technology requires you to follow 100% because it always changes.
Im learning PHP as Ive already learnt HTML and CSS.
....And I mean learnt as in, understanding, not as in creating the next facebook/eBay

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
Thank all of you guys so much a lot of you made me realize and comprehend what is going on inside my head. Almantas your post really seemed to get to me, and thank you for that. Everyone else you also helped me a lot! Dwight Shrute - I can totally feel like your fantasy is what I'm going through right now. I'm just in love with the result and not focusing on the process. All great replies and thank you [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
Hey! :)

First things first - next time please do paragraph your sentences. It makes a lot easier to follow your thoughts.

Here's what I think is going on in your head: you have realized the difference between slowlane and fastlane, but are unsure where to start. If this is the case, I can assure you that this is perfectly normal. I am pretty sure that many successful guys on this forum are brainstorming on a daily basis and looking for new/better business opportunities. Just analyze market, look for what customer spending trends are emerging and try to link your research findings to your interests. In my opinion, this methodology would increase the possibility of finding something profitable.

Another thing: You mentioned "I feel like I'm just not as dedicated anymore, the first month of coding I spent some time on it every day, and now I barely touch it once a week." and then (in my opinion) contradicted yourself by saying "When I think about my coding future, I get an adrenaline rush and I just feel the excitement." You need to be honest to yourself about this one. If you are not into tech, find a buddy who can help you code and focus on your stronger, more passionate roles, such as market research and/or marketing. It doesn't end here...here is another stained sentence of yours that doesn't make sense to me "My instagram account does not take up much time, I dedicate lots of time to my Instagram account." - I think you have to clarify all this... not to us, but to yourself, and be perfectly honest about it.

My advice formula for you is :

1) Be perfectly clear to yourself if this particular business idea excites you.
2) Create a business execution plan and set deadlines for certain tasks and reward yourself for reaching those tasks.
3) Outsource tasks to someone if it really bores you; otherwise you might get burned-out and lose your focus entirely.
4) Remember, being successful entrepreneur is not simply coming up with 'AHA' moment and then taking some magic wand or rotten sock out of your drawer and casting a spell or some voodoo magic...entrepreneurship is a process, a continuous process of trial-and-error, endless nights, missed parties... all this trip will change your attitude of wealth my friend. You'll realize that Lamborghini is not the best thing money can buy, freedom is.

Take care :)
I have changed the post into a few paragraphs, thanks for pointing that out!

As you said the statement where I said "My instagram account does not take up much time, I dedicate lots of time to it." I did not really explain that, and thinking about it after you pointed that out I realized what I meant. I'm saying that my instagram does not require lots of work, I post once a day, comment/like lots of posts, and follow people. I use an app to quickly follow people and that helps a lot. When I say I dedicate a lot of time, it's like in my past times when I could be learning code I'm just sitting there on my social media. I mean yes I am helping my account grow during these past times, but I'm spending too much time on it then I need to because I could use that time for something else.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I found the title of this thread very amusing :p

It's all down to time management. Decide you're only going to give yourself X amount of time to do X, set an alarm, and when it goes off, end whatever you're doing. Even if you were just in the middle of it, finish, it's over.

LEt's say you're doing coding. If you give yourself just one hour, that might not seem like a lot. But if you train yourself that you only have one hour, you'll become way more productive and accomplish more within that hour than others would in three hours.

I disagree that being successful at someone thing means practicing day and night. WHen the time has come for you to do something, be one hundred percent in the moment, and work on it without drifting focus until that time is up.

I kind of know how you feel, because for myself aside from my business projects, I also need to find time for martial arts, working out, meditating, and other stuff. I find this method works for me, so give it a try.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Some great inputs have been offered for you mate :) You should also try POMODORO time-management technique, it's really simple and effective. It will take like 30mins of your free time to read about this technique, 30mins that will save you more than 3hours a day :) Good luck!

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
I found the title of this thread very amusing :p

It's all down to time management. Decide you're only going to give yourself X amount of time to do X, set an alarm, and when it goes off, end whatever you're doing. Even if you were just in the middle of it, finish, it's over.

LEt's say you're doing coding. If you give yourself just one hour, that might not seem like a lot. But if you train yourself that you only have one hour, you'll become way more productive and accomplish more within that hour than others would in three hours.

I disagree that being successful at someone thing means practicing day and night. WHen the time has come for you to do something, be one hundred percent in the moment, and work on it without drifting focus until that time is up.

I kind of know how you feel, because for myself aside from my business projects, I also need to find time for martial arts, working out, meditating, and other stuff. I find this method works for me, so give it a try.
Thank you and I will try this out for sure![emoji4]

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
Some great inputs have been offered for you mate :) You should also try POMODORO time-management technique, it's really simple and effective. It will take like 30mins of your free time to read about this technique, 30mins that will save you more than 3hours a day :) Good luck!
Yes I was totally not expecting such great replies! But POMODORO sounds very interesting and when it's not 4 in the morning like now and after practice in the morning I will definitely look it up! Thanks.

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
Here's a few things that may help.

#1: Watch this 4 part video on 1.5 speed, take notes and pause as you go.

#2: Reassess/Redesign your vision for your life through goal setting. Why are you doing what you're doing? If you forget why you're doing it.. and you're not progressing anymore, of course you're going to be bored.. and you'll start asking, "What's the point?"

#3: Read the "One Thing" by Gary Keller.

#4: Take necessary action every day, grow, progress, learn, reassess every 90 days

#5: Wake up and realize you're not who you were 5 years ago.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
When I first looked it up, I saw a tomato and thought it was some diet that included lots of tomatoes:) lol anyway I read about it, and I think I will try it out for sure!

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
How old are you? If your still in school, you have plenty of time just stay consistent. Small, consistent action will have a very large effect in the long-run.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
How old are you? If your still in school, you have plenty of time just stay consistent. Small, consistent action will have a very large effect in the long-run.
I am 15 and I keep wanting to push it and go fast, but I have to slow down and take my time because I have lots of time! I just want to do everything now, but I gotta slow down.

StompingAcorns

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Dec 11, 2015
Southeastern U.S.
Hi Nicole,

I have been trying to post a thread in the Education section but can't seem to get past the Prefix issue, so your question is a perfect opportunity to post a couple of resources that might be helpful. I get no benefit from these - just resources I've seen that I thought some people might want to benefit from. Like you, and many others here, I have a lot going on in my head, even as I work on certain goals.

For you, specifically, you might find Darren Hardy's Your Best Year Ever book helpful. I just finished working through it and am using his process to manage my weekly and monthly goals. He has some short, specific worksheets to help you figure out your goals, and the daily tracking is helping me manage my mind clutter.

Darren Hardy also has a free daily email with 2-5 minute audios or videos. I find some of the concepts very helpful. He's starting a new, free series tomorrow - see http://www.darrendaily.com/failbusters/.

If a book is too much, go to Jack Canfield's free 10 day online seminar (Success Principles 10 Day Transformation). I got so much value out of this that I ordered and inhaled a bunch of his products, even though I've never read his Chicken Soup books (and still haven't). http://www.jackcanfield.com/

I've bought his Success Principles book - it's huge, and I haven't worked through much of it yet. But in general, I resonate with his teaching style.

Again, specifically for you, you might look into The Miracle Morning. You don't really need the book, except to convince you that there are tremendous benefits of starting a daily morning practice to focus on yourself and your goals and get clarity around your day before you start it. This can especially be beneficial to people like you who have a lot going on. There is a private FB group as well - just ask and I'm sure they'll let you in. I'm a night owl and have been slowly coming to understand the benefit of getting up early and starting my day like this. It's a work in progress, but I'm now committed to a 5AM morning just so I have time for this. You can put together a morning that suits your timing and lifestyle - just do it.

As others have suggested, a timer or Pomodoro are good suggestions. Timely is a great (free) android alarm app that has a timer on it if you don't want to buy the tomato. (I think it took me a month to realize it had a timer - the UI is very subtle.)

As to my personal thoughts....it sounds to me like you are passionate about what you've chosen to do (the coding). Everything is new and exciting when we first start. Sticking with it when we don't feel like it is the hard part. Staying focused on the Why behind what you're doing will help you slog through the hard parts (what @Jakawan was saying). These resources I mentioned could help you get in touch with your Why as well as manage the day to day activity.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
Hi Nicole,

I have been trying to post a thread in the Education section but can't seem to get past the Prefix issue, so your question is a perfect opportunity to post a couple of resources that might be helpful. I get no benefit from these - just resources I've seen that I thought some people might want to benefit from. Like you, and many others here, I have a lot going on in my head, even as I work on certain goals.

For you, specifically, you might find Darren Hardy's Your Best Year Ever book helpful. I just finished working through it and am using his process to manage my weekly and monthly goals. He has some short, specific worksheets to help you figure out your goals, and the daily tracking is helping me manage my mind clutter.

Darren Hardy also has a free daily email with 2-5 minute audios or videos. I find some of the concepts very helpful. He's starting a new, free series tomorrow - see http://www.darrendaily.com/failbusters/.

If a book is too much, go to Jack Canfield's free 10 day online seminar (Success Principles 10 Day Transformation). I got so much value out of this that I ordered and inhaled a bunch of his products, even though I've never read his Chicken Soup books (and still haven't). http://www.jackcanfield.com/

I've bought his Success Principles book - it's huge, and I haven't worked through much of it yet. But in general, I resonate with his teaching style.

Again, specifically for you, you might look into The Miracle Morning. You don't really need the book, except to convince you that there are tremendous benefits of starting a daily morning practice to focus on yourself and your goals and get clarity around your day before you start it. This can especially be beneficial to people like you who have a lot going on. There is a private FB group as well - just ask and I'm sure they'll let you in. I'm a night owl and have been slowly coming to understand the benefit of getting up early and starting my day like this. It's a work in progress, but I'm now committed to a 5AM morning just so I have time for this. You can put together a morning that suits your timing and lifestyle - just do it.

As others have suggested, a timer or Pomodoro are good suggestions. Timely is a great (free) android alarm app that has a timer on it if you don't want to buy the tomato. (I think it took me a month to realize it had a timer - the UI is very subtle.)

As to my personal thoughts....it sounds to me like you are passionate about what you've chosen to do (the coding). Everything is new and exciting when we first start. Sticking with it when we don't feel like it is the hard part. Staying focused on the Why behind what you're doing will help you slog through the hard parts (what @Jakawan was saying). These resources I mentioned could help you get in touch with your Why as well as manage the day to day activity.
Very great advice here, thank you!

As for the timer, I'll probably just use my phone clock. Today is New Years Eve, and I'm planning for 2016 to be a lot more successful than this year! I'm definitely going to join that FB group, as I'm already in one with other entrepreneurs already and I like it a lot.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.