The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My journey to freelance copywriting

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

jramos02

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 18, 2018
New York
Hello fellow Fastlaners,

I will admit I was scared. Scratch that. TERRIFIED to start this thread. See, like many of you I have been burned in the past. I have tried things (the wrong things probably) and haven't really succeeded quite yet. I didn't want to start a thread and make a fool of myself once again.

But you know what? F*ck it. Maybe accountability is what I need. And so, here it is, my progress thread into become a freelance copywriter.

WHY NOW?
I've always known it my heart that I just don't belong in the 9-5 rat race world. I am in NYC and it is honestly painful watching everyone do the same damn thing every day.

Wake up. Brush teeth.
Walk to subway.
Cram into train.
Get dressed.
Walk out of train.
Eat breakfast.
Get into the office.
Do shit that doesn't matter.
etc...etc..

And yeah. Sometimes that is the actual order (no it isn't).

My main pain though? I often feel like I'm wasting my time. I'm not really providing value to anyone except my boss. And that's what's truly painful. If I were out on my own I truly believe I could provide way more value to anyone I decide to work with.

Why Copywriting?
Honestly? Because I still suck at it. Because I still suck at marketing and selling. It is things I've always known I need to add to my tool belt, so I've decided to take on the challenge of learning.

Also because I enjoy words and writing. I never thought I would, but I do. I've written 3 full drafts of novels and a few screenplays. All sitting in my hard drive / in the cloud, but they have been written.

I believe copywriting will help me gain some skills to become a better entrepreneur but also it will help me become a better writer so I can eventually write that best seller.

Ok all good and dandy but...what have you done?
I just finished Unscripted yesterday. Started Think and Grow Rich today and gonna re-read TMF once I am done with that one. I'm also waiting for Cashvertising to arrive in the mail to read that.

In the meantime, I've gone through @SinisterLex 's course here in TFLF and I'm going through his freelance course on Udemy as well.

I've also reached out to a couple of people on another forum that have websites that they are setting up in case they needed help with Copywriting and one of them quickly agreed. I am doing it for free and just to help him out (I have no idea who he is - just saw him online). It has been a fun experience so far and he has actually liked my suggestions from a copy and from a website standpoint (my Product Manager skills came in handy there).

After finishing the daily challenges from SinisterLex and the Udemy course, I'm going to sign up to Upwork and see what happens. Will start with $5 an hour like SinisterLex suggests and gain experience and help whomever I can. In the meantime, I will also be continue to help out other people for free to keep sharpening my skills.

Goals
My first goal is to make my first $100 online. It is a low number. I know. But I've never made a single cent online. So $100 seems like a good number to break that mental barrier.

Then I would like to make enough to cover my rent and just keep growing from there.

Most of all, I would like to help as many people as possible to grow their business thanks to my copy. If I can do that, everything else will fall into place.

I look forward to tracking my journey here with you guys...here's to the unscripted world.

Here's to freedom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The_Saphir

Deo Volente
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 31, 2016
Everywhere
Nice. Waiting for updates! Once the mental barrier is broken, it's like magic

jramos02

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 18, 2018
New York
Quick update - Cashvertising is here! Actually got here a few days earlier than expected. I'm making it a goal to finish it by the end of the week / early next week.

Almost done with SinisterLex's Udemy course on Freelancing and reading through this thread by Joe: NOTABLE! - 6-Figures In 12 Months Copywriting. Quit Job. Here's How I Did It:

very inspiring as well.

My main concern right now is how to get clients, but with Upwork and some time research/time I am sure I will figure out a way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Keep going, never look back!

Please SEARCH before posting.