The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My herb business idea just destroyed !

Idea threads

rajakamil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2018
Malaysia
Hi;
After reading both MJ's books, I had an idea of what business to do.

Intro :
- my mom has a herb garden, that she use regularly to overcome her health issue
- In 2010, I had selling this herbs, raw. The sell was so-so. People searched the name of the herbs, and found my site.
- but I'd to stop, because I preferred selling digital product as it was easier (well, the ebook was about internet marketing stuff . lol)

Now :
- after reading the books, I decide to stop selling craps ebooks and thinking of few ideas that have CENTS
- right now, I can only think about running this herb business seriously
- so I decided to check back the best way to sell this herbs
- Before this, I just sell it raw (in dried leaves form). Boiling it as a tea.
- But I remember, the trouble my past customer had. They prefer to take the herb in capsule form. Easy to consume
- So, I did my research, where I can get gelatin capsule, bottles, stickers etc.
- Until I found, one website, perfectly selling all these stuff.
- I was very happy. So happy, that I thought I can start making this business into reality soon.
- ... until, just now, I checked the website carefully, and .... they also, supply the herbs that I'm going to sell
- not just that, the company also, provide all-in-one package, buy their herbs + capsuling it + bottle-ing it. Complete. You just wait at your house, and waiting to put some label and start selling it. Easy !
- If I didn't learn about CENTS, I might think, this is my call .....
- BUT .... the problem is, within the easiness. Which translate to, LOW BARRIER OF ENTRY !
- Deng .....
- Because of that, I think I don't want to pursue with this idea anymore.

Just want some idea. Whether, should I regard this idea completely, or is there any light for me, to stick with this idea?

ps : pardon my English, it my 2nd language, hopefully you get the point I

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Okay, so the product is easy to source. There are still ways that you can set yourself apart. Perhaps your business could publish articles on the best ways to use this herb, or how to make sure you are getting good quality, etc. Perhaps you can offer better packages - maybe you offer a monthly box so that the customer does not need to remember to re-order it.

Just because the product is easy to source does not mean you can't establish yourself. There are countless examples of companies being successful in competitive and crowded markets.

Remember, your customers were asking you to put this product in a capsule. It already exists, but they asked YOU. Why? Maybe they trust you. Maybe they don't know about this other website.

Don't use this as an excuse to not pursue the idea. Let your customers tell you they don't want it.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Actually, do you mind sharing the information of that company?

I currently have tonic products I sell (adaptogenic herbal blend). The company I source it from creates the formulas with their herbs they grow (and sometimes source if they can't get them). However, the prices are expensive and eventually I'll need to find cheaper options.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Until I found, one website, perfectly selling all these stuff.
- I was very happy. So happy, that I thought I can start making this business into reality soon.
- ... until, just now, I checked the website carefully, and .... they also, supply the herbs that I'm going to sell
- not just that, the company also, provide all-in-one package, buy their herbs + capsuling it + bottle-ing it. Complete. You just wait at your house, and waiting to put some label and start selling it. Easy !

There are many threads on health products development here.

But I'll throw in a few pointers.

1. Can you call up the supplier? Arrange an offline meetup?

2. Can you ask for samples?

3. Is that the ONLY supplier around? Any other places? Have more options.

You might need a list of backup suppliers if your go-to one falls apart.

4. Are the gelatin health capsules, bottles labelling and so on certified well? Can you go to Jabatan Kesihatan or whatever to see if they are listed? Are they cleared with the Halal department?

5. Check out their background? Are there reviews saying that they are scammers? Do they have a good track record or supplying to other companies?

IMO, if one company offered to do ALL the services like gelatin pills, packaging and so on, I don't dare to let them have the full reins. I would break up the different components to sub out to different suppliers.

You don't see Toyota contacting supplies and materials from the sole same company! They obtain different materials from different suppliers, direct them to an assembly plant and put the cars together.

Before this, I just sell it raw (in dried leaves form). Boiling it as a tea.
- But I remember, the trouble my past customer had. They prefer to take the herb in capsule form. Easy to consume
How about in tea-bags form? Would it still work?

Some people might get scared of the pill form. There's negative stigma on medicines.

Tea-bags are somehow more friendly. And probably to use tea-bags instead of PILLS would lower costs greatly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Actually, do you mind sharing the information of that company?

Somebody is already asking you for the source. There you go - not such a low barrier of entry.

Look around. Many business ventures have super low barriers to entry. Hot dog stands - love em. So does everyone else. Closely related - food trucks. Next up the food chain (pun intended) is a pizza place. Then fast food (sub sandwich) knockoffs. Family restaurants. MILLIONS of all of these abound and flourish.

So it's a low barrier to entry? So what? I have friends that do work that ANYONE could do - instantly. They could be in business TOMORROW. Want to know what they are? If I tell you, will you promise not to steal all their customers and put them out of business? Can I really trust you?

Guess what - you're not going to put them out of business, and they're not going to put you out of business. So I'll tell you.

Driving for Lyft is one. Cleaning houses is another. I have about 30 more if you want. They are all low barrier, and they are all in demand, and they ALL make decent money. Remember when I asked you so what? Well, that's what.

Another super easy one is a guy that comes into night clubs frequented by couples, with a wicker basket of small cute stuffed animals and roses. For 3 bucks you can buy a single rose for your lady. I do every time. Three bucks to make her smile? A bargain. Could I buy her a rose for one dollar instead? Yes, but I guess she's with me because I'm not a cheeeeep azz. She definitely gets her money's worth out of that rose by the other ladies just SEEING that her man bought her a rose. If the club was smart, they'd have a couple dozen roses for sale every Friday night for this exact purpose - but that would require a little work and a little planning. Who wants to do any more than necessary?

Just. Think.

Do it. Hey - I just thought of another one that makes huge money. Custom blended sun tan oil. For the salon people, not the beach goers. Yep. They buy it in bulk and custom blend their own "flavors." Sells like crazy.

I have a few people in business that have incredibly HIGH barriers to entry, if you prefer to suffer. For me, I want 10 products that are in demand, that I can make a reasonable profit from. The easier the better.

Not everyone is an entrepreneur - not everyone will seek out a source to buy wholesale. Look at the athletic footwear market for proof of what people will spend to be in the "in" crowd. Saving money is not the driving force for a lot of people. They want to pay pay pay - so help them out!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.