The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Goal This Week

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Besides monthly goals, I find that I need weekly goals and "next 72 hour" goals. (The next 72 hour goals are the most important ones right after you've been at a seminar or read a book that has given you ideas. If you don't do something within 72 hours, chances are you never will...)

So, that said, here is my #1 goal this week...to finish all of our business returns and change my mood icon from "busy" to "mellow."

I had to put it out there so I had accountability on it.

:smx3:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Weird. Tha's our goal, too.

We have all these business structures that we're doing returns on (well, we're not doing the returns, people who know what they're doing are doing the returns! ;) )

Some are due Oct 15, but a few are due Sept 15-- we're getting all of them overnighted to us today or tomorrow, so it'll be time to review, make any changes (if neccessary), and close the books on 2006.

And for those of you that noticed, yes, this is the last week for the extensions on the extensions-- we put it off until we couldn't put it off anymore! :)

Plan on seeing a movie (w/KT at the sitter's) once they're certified mailed.

(big sigh . . .)

-Russ H.

Of course, other goals for just this week:

-Get slate floor done in the great room
-Finish 2nd kitchen at Inn in Innkeeper's Quarters
-Do 3 innkeeper's evals and 4 housekeeper's evals, pay bonuses
-Install privacy shades in new guest room
-if we get the slate floor done, move back into this part of the room, and reorg kitchen
-Paint signs for Inn parking areas & direction signs to back entrance
-Finish reviewing and signing all desclosures for latest prop we're buying
-Check w/mortgage broker to see if appraisal is on time/target
-Update wine country map for inn guests (we do this every few weeks)
-Finish 3 or more trifold brochures on various wine country fun things (for Inn)

That's a quick overview. :)

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Maybe my reward for getting this done should be going to Russ & Sharon's B & B.

Fall in the wine country....:hurray::hurray:

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
And for those of you that noticed, yes, this is the last week for the extensions on the extensions-- we put it off until we couldn't put it off anymore! :)

Russ,
I have seen you and other very successful people on this forum talk about waiting till the last minute to close your books. Can you explain the reasoning behind this?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Maybe my reward for getting this done should be going to Russ & Sharon's B & B.

Fall in the wine country....:hurray::hurray:

talk about a win-win-- we would love this, Diane.

I was going to suggest that we go out to dinner and have a "swear" jar for trying to get through the entire night without talking about business (we've done this w/other biz friends). Problem is, I'm not sure if we'd have as much fun! :)

That being said, we have 2 options for the Inn:

-The Traditional B&B (eat breakfast at a common table, chat w/other guests), and
-The Vacation rental (B&B like rooms, but in a separate guest cottage across the street from the inn. Less social, more private.)

I'll PM you w/the web address, so it doesn't look like I'm self promoting. :smx2:

If you like great food, Diane, Napa is stunning. It's the closest I've come to the obsessive food prep of the Parisians, but not all French style food (lots of high end comfort food, which is flat out incredible). I'm a card carrying foodie.

Finally, Sharon and I tend to be very "hands off" with our guests, esp friends who come into town, so they can have a good time without feeling obligated to spend time w/us. We *love* being hosts, but for many, discovering the wine country with their sweetie is a big part of the fun. So take that into account-- we love to have a good time w/friends, but we tend to disappear unless our guests want us to hang around! ;)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bilgefisher
Russ, I have seen you and other very successful people on this forum talk about waiting till the last minute to close your books. Can you explain the reasoning behind this?

I can only speak for me and Sharon here:

First, it's b/c we have better things to do (like making money and running our businesses).

Second, it's b/c filing later gives us more of THIS (current) year under our belts, so we can strategize better for where we want to take our taxes (capitalizing vs expensing, etc).

Third, I hate doing the paperwork. So I procrastinate. Actually, Sharon is my angel here. I do the project mgt for all the stuff we have going on, and she does the tax prep. Just another reason for me to love her . . . :love2:

Fourth, well, Aug-Oct is the busy season for us. So if we do have any surprises (like we owe scads of money), it's the best time of the year to take it out of the business. I'd like to note that in the last 12 years, this has only happened to me twice. :D

I'm sure I could come up with lots of other reasons.

Sure love it when tax time is over and done, though! :party:

-Russ H.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
webmeeting w tax person for the final on the L.P. return.

fax final personal tax paperwork into tax person.

Review and complete or approve next months marketing piece before it is sent to the mail house.

pick up grandkids for doctor appointment while daughter is in class today

Pick out the paint for my new sewing room in the guest house.

Have sign re lettered for water front lot.

Pick up new lock box

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
In my next 72 hours, I will:

1. Finish my "Cabin Quirks" page. (All our cabins are cooky mountain homes!)

2. Finish my cabins cleaning checklist.

3. Laminate all of the above.

4. Create a binder of info for guests and place in the cabin.

5. Go shopping for misc. supplies for cabins.

6. Pick up cabin signs and hang.

7. Go for a 3 mile run.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
We're at half-way through the week. How are you doing on your weekly goals?

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the business tax returns. I'm on track to finish up easily by Friday and then am taking a week off at our San Diego house on the beach.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bumping up some classic Diane Kennedy posts today. :)

-Russ H.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
72hr goals, now there's a concept(bangs head on desk) :p

This'll help us get some of the mindset/action activities done such as of course the Plan activity, 4HWW's "questions and actions", Tony Robbins' activities from the Awaken the Giant, 30 Day Challenge, reviewing notes from B&P, but most of all, using all the wonderful advice/tools we've been given/researched in the last several months to make for a prosperous, independent and enjoyable lifetime :coolgleamA:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.